IITians come up with fuel efficient car design | 4 paise per KM

Mechanical engineering students of IIT, Uttar Pradesh has come up with a car which is much better fuel efficient than anyone's imagination. This car is having an average of 1851.8 Kms per litre, calculating an average of per km cost of 4 paise only.

This car has been given a name "Alterno", which is inaugurated by IIT's director Prof. Rajeev Sangal. This car is going to participate in Eco-Race which is scheduled to happen in Manila, Philippines. It took approx 1.5 years to complete the design of this car.

Weight: 80 Kgs
Length: 285 Centimeters
Bredth: 100 Centimeter
Battery: 36 Volts
Cost involved: 1.5 Lacs approx
Type: 2 front wheels, 1 rear wheel

Source: jagran

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Awesome!!!! No details given, but here is a non official link:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you for sharing! This design reminds me of this on the market vehicle:

Elio Motors - The Ultimate Electric Vehicle Commuter
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Shashank Moghe
    Awesome!!!! No details given, but here is a non official link:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you for sharing! This design reminds me of this on the market vehicle:

Elio Motors - The Ultimate Electric Vehicle Commuter
    thanks ustaad! 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Koushal Patel
    1851.8 Kms per litre
    I am rather dense. If this is correct, what is the 36 V battery for?
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    A.V.Ramani
    I am rather dense. If this is correct, what is the 36 V battery for?
    I was also wondering about that sir. I am still looking into the technical details about the invention. #-Link-Snipped-# did post some of the link which are having few more details. I will let everyone hear once I get adequate information sir.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I really doubt they've done this. Even if they could expand their model to 4-seater that offers 100 kmpl; it'd be a runaway success!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am all for quick and dirty calculations.
    Assuming it is an IC engine and the cal value of petrol at 10000 Kcal/litre, one gets about 6 Kcal/km. Again assuming a modest 30 kmph speed this works out to about 180 Kcal/hr, which translates to about 0.25 HP.
    The weight of the car is said to be 80 kg. If we add another 150kg pay load, the total will be 230 kg.
    It is very difficult to believe that such a car can deliver this performance at 0.25 HP.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Even if they could expand their model to 4-seater that offers 100 kmpl; it'd be a runaway success!
    Agree
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Shashank Moghe
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I just saw the date the article was written - ON NOVEMBER 20, 2014
    I saw this news yesterday in an e-news paper and shared across. I am still wondering, if the work is really done, why media was silent about this for so many days!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Well well, check this wiki page, The highest record of the competition is way more:
    Eco Marathon
  • Ankit Verma IIT-BHU
    Ankit Verma IIT-BHU
    Hello guys..! This is Ankit and I am a member of this Prototype production Team.
    i guess there are quite a lot of confusions. Let me clear some.
    The Vehicle has an Fully Electric PowerTrain, it is powered by Batteries (we cant disclose the type and specs of battery and motor as for now until we get it patented)
    the Vehicle does 1851.8 km per liter of petrol Equivalence.
    now there is a big difference in kmpl and kmpl of petrol equivalence.
    1851.9kmpl of petrol equivalence means "IF U SPEND THE COST OF 1 LITER OF PETROL (78 rs is the average cost of petrol in INDIA, last 3 years) BUYING ELECTRICITY FOR CHARGING, THEN THE VEHICLE GOES 1851.8km"

Now regarding this thing is possible or not energy conservation wise..; you all should look at the present Guiness Book Of World Record Holder "Pac car 2" that goes 5385kmpl of petrol equivalence.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Good to have you here and thanks for the clarification. I'd recommend that you and your team should participate in our ongoing 'Hunt For India's Best Academic Project' 😀
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Ankit Verma IIT-BHU
    Hello guys..! This is Ankit and I am a member of this Prototype production Team.
    i guess there are quite a lot of confusions. Let me clear some.
    The Vehicle has an Fully Electric PowerTrain, it is powered by Batteries (we cant disclose the type and specs of battery and motor as for now until we get it patented)
    the Vehicle does 1851.8 km per liter of petrol Equivalence.
    now there is a big difference in kmpl and kmpl of petrol equivalence.
    1851.9kmpl of petrol equivalence means "IF U SPEND THE COST OF 1 LITER OF PETROL (78 rs is the average cost of petrol in INDIA, last 3 years) BUYING ELECTRICITY FOR CHARGING, THEN THE VEHICLE GOES 1851.8km"

Now regarding this thing is possible or not energy conservation wise..; you all should look at the present Guiness Book Of World Record Holder "Pac car 2" that goes 5385kmpl of petrol equivalence.
    Well, I thought it was a range extended vehicle. Thank you for clearing that up! Best of luck!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kmpl of petrol equivalence brings a new wrinkle. The cost of a unit of electricity. If the cost of power is Re 1/kwhr then you get a total power of 80kwhr, which is almost one order of magnitude more than the petrol not counting an IC engine efficiency.

Anyway all the best to the team.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Since we already have similar suggestion threads, why not start a movie suggestion/discussion one here on CE? I am a Huge (yes, a capital H) movie buff, and I want...
Have a look: https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/meet-the-80-people-who-are-as-rich-as-half-the-world/ Now, the struggle of going from 99% to 1% is nothing new. But as you can see from the list, there are a handful of tech...
i am using wamp server for past 6 months in my system (windows 7, 64bit) but yesterday i install xampp server for some purpose but then i just uninstalled it...
asokfair submitted a new project: RGB Star - Light up the Xmas Star in a Smart Way This is a simple project using Low power ARM controller.In this project the...
The winner of Mars One University competition will help in bringing life to Mars. Yes, you read it right! The competition organised by Mars One was aimed at selecting a...