IIT Credit Score System - Get B.Tech Degree In 3.5 To 8 Years

India's premier engineering institutions, IITs will adopt the 'Credit Score' system. The highlights of this system are multiple - a regular 4-year course can now be completed in just 3.5 years and the remaining 6 months can be used to enrich one's academic career by doing projects or other activities (viz. starting your own business). There will be no hurry to finish your course in just 4 years. Instead, you will have 8 years to get your B.Tech degree. In addition, the students will be able to spend a few semesters in the centre of excellence at other IITs.

I spent some time trying to understand the new system and it seems to be adopted from the foreign Universities like MIT, Harvard and Stanford. The new system requires the students to gather about 176 - 182 credit points. Anyone who completes seven semesters in 3.5 years will be able to take up courses or activities of his/her own interest. The student will receive a provisional mark sheet at the convocation ceremony of the respective IITs; and will be able to use it to get or apply for a job.

I read a few comments online and found that acquiring ~25 or 26 credits per semester is just too high and may prevent students from learning things in depth. Frankly speaking, I've absolutely no idea of how difficult it will be so those from IITs can chip in their thoughts below.

I'd like to ask all our fellow student engineers about their opinion on the new credit score system being introduced in IITs starting 2016. Do you think all other engineering institutes should adopt the system? What benefits will it offer? And what are the disadvantages of the system, if any?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys i am interested in constructing a dancing bot which moves in sync with a background music. for that i need to know about music sensing. could any one help...
How good r they? Can one rely on this to start career👎
We want the debate competition to grow bigger and better with time. Therefore, requesting you all to choose an option in the poll above to choose a suitable time for...
I found that this discussion has a lot of the same points. But, instead of reviving the old topic, I want to focus on what I read about this topic...
OnePlus ONE, the phone that brands itself as the 2014 flagship killer has announced the plans to launch the phone in India. No wonder the team at this Chinese startup,...