IIT Bombay Professors Inefficient? - TOI Reports Discussion

Making raves in news, the hot topic of discussion among engineering students is the #-Link-Snipped-# in TOI that says - 88% of IITB students say that they don't study because their professors are not able to generate interest in their courses.

Here are a few excerpts from the article -

While a few teachers are enthusiastic about teaching, others are not
Fed up with criticism about their "poor performance" compared to previous batches
75% students do not spend any time on academics
At least 72% students believe the course content is theoretical, lacks in application and therefore, is not interesting.
Many IITians have sought a return to blackboard teaching as they believe that showing slides does not ensure value-addition from the teachers.
It was indeed quite a shocking news for most non-IITians, because professors are the core of an institution.
I would like to know what are the views of CEans on this. Please speak out.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe the IIT-B folks should reply here. Anyone from IIT-B?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In our times it was the beginning of IITs. All faculty were from other universities. The students used to keep us on our toes.
    Now all IITs are mature institutions. There must be many IITians as faculty. Are theese more effective than the faculty from elsewhere?
    Poor student enthusiasm can be a demotivator to the teacher.

There is a Tamil saying that translates: Put your alms into a begging bowl that deserves it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder if it's the teacher's responsibility to generate interest in the subjects. I'd like to believe that it's student's responsibility to get the most out of the teacher and generating self-interest in the subject.

I've never been a fan of 'digital' or non-traditional methods of delivery of education. The distance education is the latest fad in education and I can tell you it doesn't work.

I've been learning to play Guitar for so many years and can confirm that had it not been sitting in front of the teacher and following his instructions, I'd still be struggling with the basics. I don't expect my teacher to create interest in the instrument and music. It's my job to ask the teacher to teach me the next big thing. When I show interest in learning more - my teacher showers world's best on me.

I think we can't change the 'basics' of the way humans are programmed to learn.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    First and foremost in the First year of studies I would say a teacher is needed to Draw interest to the Student.

Beyond which the student builds Himself up from the base set by the staff.

PS: I want to specially thank Mr. Ramachandra Reddy, Asst. Professor, St. Joseph Engineering College, For developing a great interest in Electronics in me.

Teachers always rule

One thing is more important the teacher student relationship is what is missing in the IIT's That creates all the problems which the students face
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Interesting, one of my friend, who was studying in IIT Bombay (PG), dropped out a few months ago. Reason: He thought he made a mistake! The standard wasn't the same as he expected!

I guess this problem is everywhere. I am studying in NIT Durgapur and it is supposed to be academically good (At least that's what I heard). After coming here I have realized some of the teachers aren't even qualified to teach PG students. Some of them are still completing their Ph.Ds. I mean, how do you settle with that? They have hand written notes (Yup, pre-prepared hand-written notes!) and they just dictate it in the class. I agree it is the responsibility of the student to get the knowledge from the teacher, but it is also the responsibility of teacher to maintain a healthy student-teacher relationship.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited and the Electronic Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) signed a MOU to deploy Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers across 8 sites at a ceremony held in...
what is pn sequence.?
Whenever I leave my PC for even a minute ,it just goes blank with all the indicators still on ,as it is during normal conditions, and has to be rebooted...
Hi Folks, I just moved from Symbian Belle FP1 (Nokia 603) to Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (Samsung Galaxy S3 mini), and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to...
I am a final year student ,i study in a reputed coll.We get lot of companies for placements...that makes us rite tests almost everyday so u dono on which day...