If CE Is Difficult To Understand...What About The Rest?

It's common to see that new members find it difficult to understand how CrazyEngineers works. We've followed a very simple, basic forum structure always which I believe can become familiar with just 30 seconds of observation. However, I regularly see that members often post the questions they want to ask on their own profile pages (as status updates) and then leave because no one answers them.

That gets me into thinking, if CE is difficult to understand; what's the case with other websites that require user registration and then interaction? For example, I'd find LinkedIn too difficult to understand given the options and 'things to do' I have.

What's your take?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    It's common to see that new members find it difficult to understand how CrazyEngineers works. We've followed a very simple, basic forum structure always which I believe can become familiar with just 30 seconds of observation. However, I regularly see that members often post the questions they want to ask on their own profile pages (as status updates) and then leave because no one answers them.

That gets me into thinking, if CE is difficult to understand; what's the case with other websites that require user registration and then interaction? For example, I'd find LinkedIn too difficult to understand given the options and 'things to do' I have.

What's your take?
    May be 50% of the kind of crowd that gets attracted to CE is below average in the intellectual level.
    But then (according to me) more than 80% of the crowd that gets attracted to Facebook/Twitter is way below the average intellectual level. So, it must be the peer pressure of 'if everyone else can, why can't I' that drives them to learning things quickly on other sites.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    That is certainly not the case. I've even found facebook difficult to understand (from a perspective of an average user). We do attract the same quality audience as any other site; and I'd even love to believe that CE gets techno-savvy engineers.

It could be a direct result of the conditioning most of the sites do. I'm not sure. If we're going to roll out new features; the focus will be all on making the site more user friendly.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K

What's your take?
    All my friends are members in CE ( I forced them to become member ๐Ÿ˜‰) But they are not active. They say, they feel difficult and don't no what to do in crazy engineer.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    All my friends are members in CE ( I forced them to become member ๐Ÿ˜‰) But they are not active. They say, they feel difficult and don't no what to do in crazy engineer.
    That is the real problem! I'm glad you pointed it out. We are unlike social networks where a user can go and watch photos or videos.

What can we do on CE to attract all these people? I mean, I go to LinkedIn and try to figure out what to do! Apart from being a professional network, LinkedIn does not have anything to keep me logged on. While our target audience comprises of students and professionals, I think we'll have to launch new services to make people come back to CE; for something that goes beyond discussions.

Any ideas? Think what your friend (who you want to be on CE) would be interested in?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    That is the real problem! I'm glad you pointed it out. We are unlike social networks where a user can go and watch photos or videos.

What can we do on CE to attract all these people? I mean, I go to LinkedIn and try to figure out what to do! Apart from being a professional network, LinkedIn does not have anything to keep me logged on. While our target audience comprises of students and professionals, I think we'll have to launch new services to make people come back to CE; for something that goes beyond discussions.

Any ideas? Think what your friend (who you want to be on CE) would be interested in?
    My friends are afraid ( I have used the exact word ) to get active in CE forum.
    secondly, they don't no how to use CE effectively.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : What's making them afraid of being active here? Could you try asking few of your friends and help us find out the reason? We are a bunch of nice people who want to make better engineers through discussions, idea sharing and helping.

I agree with your second point. As I promised earlier, 2012 is special year for us and we're actually going to take steps to evolve CE.

All suggestions are welcome.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : What's making them afraid of being active here? Could you try asking few of your friends and help us find out the reason? We are a bunch of nice people who want to make better engineers through discussions, idea sharing and helping.

I agree with your second point. As I promised earlier, 2012 is special year for us and we're actually going to take steps to evolve CE.

All suggestions are welcome.
    Their reasons are crazy.
    If they post something irrelevant to the thread, CE might kid them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I totally agree that we (admins & mods and our active members) need to change our attitude. Sometimes, we just lose control (...and trust me it's all about volumes). I'll make a clear announcement in coming days about the protocol we all will have to follow.

What are the other reasons?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Okay, I totally agree that we (admins & mods and our active members) need to change our attitude. Sometimes, we just lose control (...and trust me it's all about volumes). I'll make a clear announcement in coming days about the protocol we all will have to follow.

What are the other reasons?
    Thats great to hear.
    Can we do this, Its just a suggestion.
    Generally engineers get attracted to CE and become, but they are not active because they totally forget it. One of my friend is the member of CE, but forgot when he became member itself. Is it possible to sent them a mail monthly once(only if they are not active ), regarding intimation about CE
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, we've began doing it for the members who've registered on or after December 01, 2011.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    how will the new members will come to know about it?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Some time back, a newbie sent me a PM giving reasons for not being active on CE:
    1) I'm not so technically sound.
    2) I don't know how to behave on CE.
    3) I feel a little hesitation.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# :

The reason #1 above is actually a big issue - a lot of visitors think that in order to be a part of CE, they need to be technically superior. A lot of college students have told me the same. I think we need to send out the right message to our target audience. I think the notice we've put on the top needs an overhaul.

I'm not sure about #2 and #3. Can our newest members post their opinions here? I'd also like to hear opinions of our most active members too.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    As a newbie, I didn't come across any difficulty on the forum. I explored the features and the different sections of the Forum on my own. And thanks to GF for making me comfortable here. And all other CEans too. ๐Ÿ˜€ The current forum structure is very user friendly.
    Long back I had made a profile on CE, and as I didn't have regular access to internet at that time I failed to login and later I lost my password and much later I forgot I had an account on CE. ๐Ÿ˜” I have missed out on a lot for not being here much before. But better late than never ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, the immediate priority for me is to think of a nice message that will make those who think "I'm not too technical" join.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    "We can never become perfect but can improve. Join Crazyengineers.com to improve" ๐Ÿ˜‰

"Everything will look strange and certainly there will be certain amount of difficulty at the beginning of doing things. This world is creative and advancing as it will always dig new things out of the box to make things hard but we must fight it out to experience awesomeness."
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've added a message that says "120k engineering students & professionals like you have joined".
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    The_Big_K
    I've added a message that says "120k engineering students & professionals like you have joined".
    why are only 0.6% people are online?
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    maybe we need a sports section or something..
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    prashpan
    maybe we need a sports section or something..
    Attractive idea. But in chit chat, we have discussion about sports too.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    ok. but when open chit-chat, i do not go beyond page 1.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We already have enough sections which are non-engineering. An additional section would mean we'd be taken away from what CE was built for.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    We already have enough sections which are non-engineering. An additional section would mean we'd be taken away from what CE was built for.
    Its true, sometimes it makes me feel as such.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Make that 130K.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    prashpan
    ok. but when open chit-chat, i do not go beyond page 1.
    Cant get you clearly. Its engineering forum, Why there is a need for sports in it.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    The_Big_K
    alright, u see i am a newbie. just giving you my feedback.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    prashpan
    alright, u see i am a newbie. just giving you my feedback.
    I understand. CrazyEngineers was meant to be a technical platform where engineers solve their problems and help each other. However, because of the constant demand from our users; we had to expand to other sections. That has had negative effect too; with a lot of members leaving us (because they thought we're not focused on engineering).

Dancer_Engineer
    Make that 130K.
    We're just a little over 120k. Will update the notice as more users join in.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    I understand. CrazyEngineers was meant to be a technical platform where engineers solve their problems and help each other. However, because of the constant demand from our users; we had to expand to other sections. That has had negative effect too; with a lot of members leaving us (because they thought we're not focused on engineering).
    Sometime I too get disappeared from CE because of this reason only.๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, we can never build 'one' platform to please everyone. We aren't building a social platform and are focused on building a technical community.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Well, we can never build 'one' platform to please everyone. We aren't building a social platform and are focused on building a technical community.
    Yes. But the non engineering threads is more active than engineering. Why this is happening in CE

Note: its just my point of view
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd rather let other CEans answer this question. I don't know the answer ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I'd rather let other CEans answer this question. I don't know the answer ๐Ÿ˜€
    Is it because not all CEans are Crazy enough about engineering? I must confess to an occasional twinge that more posts seem to be on non-engineering activities.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I agree and that has always been a *big* challenge. We want to have the right mix of engineering & non-engineering. Say about 80% solid engineering and 20% non-engineering; but high quality discussions.

I'd agree that not many engineering students really want to talk or discuss engineering problems.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    I must confess to an occasional twinge that more posts seem to be on non-engineering activities.
    All the regular CEans have identified this problem, but very few are working towards changing the scenario. ๐Ÿ˜€ Let's make collective efforts.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    How about weekly targets?
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    AbraKaDabra
    May be 50% of the kind of crowd that gets attracted to CE is below average in the intellectual level.
    But then (according to me) more than 80% of the crowd that gets attracted to Facebook/Twitter is way below the average intellectual level. So, it must be the peer pressure of 'if everyone else can, why can't I' that drives them to learning things quickly on other sites.
    don't agree a bit..... must had an unlike button for this......๐Ÿ˜›. kidding, but ya, u can't blame it on the intellectual levels of the people. there may a lot more ACTUAL possible reasons.....
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    #-Link-Snipped-# what is your aim as founder of this site? Quality or Quantity members?
    Personally i want to be in community of Quality and thats what keeps me here. No one says learning cant be fun but we have many fun threads where you can talk about almost anything. Do not allow too much freedom or else people will abuse the site and take away from its true essence.
    Want to send out the right message? Develop Vision and Mission statements and put it on the home page.
    For those who are not confident, we are all here to learn. No one judges you here on CE.
    My view is that the site is very user-friendly. I usually visit the site at work. When i am taking a break i check the site. I come here get a smile and learn something too, on a BREAK ๐Ÿ˜€
    If its not for you its not for you, K said it himslef, you can't please everyone.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# :

The reason #1 above is actually a big issue - a lot of visitors think that in order to be a part of CE, they need to be technically superior. A lot of college students have told me the same. I think we need to send out the right message to our target audience. I think the notice we've put on the top needs an overhaul.

I'm not sure about #2 and #3. Can our newest members post their opinions here? I'd also like to hear opinions of our most active members too.
    Use Vision and Mission statements to tell them what we are about.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : CE came to life to bring the engineers who work on mega projects and are involved in extreme engineering together on a common platform. Quality is of course our #1 priority.

The reason why we expanded into other non-engineering categories is that it brings us traffic and we hope to find our heros in that traffic. Plus, one major reason why 'numbers' matter to us is that the current business model is based on online advertisements; which help the site pay all its bills. We hope to evolve to a better business model in this year and are already taking steps in the right direction.

These days, I've totally given up on worrying about traffic and totally focusing all my energies on evolving CE platform. I just hope that if we offer value to our members, CE will grow. Our ultimate aim is to build an engineering company. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    CE Designer
    #-Link-Snipped-# what is your aim as founder of this site? Quality or Quantity members?
    Personally i want to be in community of Quality and thats what keeps me here. No one says learning cant be fun but we have many fun threads where you can talk about almost anything. Do not allow too much freedom or else people will abuse the site and take away from its true essence.
    Want to send out the right message? Develop Vision and Mission statements and put it on the home page.
    For those who are not confident, we are all here to learn. No one judges you here on CE.
    My view is that the site is very user-friendly. I usually visit the site at work. When i am taking a break i check the site. I come here get a smile and learn something too, on a BREAK ๐Ÿ˜€
    If its not for you its not for you, K said it himslef, you can't please everyone.
    I second that #-Link-Snipped-#.
    No one judges you here on CE. Just be yourself and join us in the discussions. ๐Ÿ˜€
    What all CEans do is enrich themselves here. We are not competing here in anyway, unless until ofcourse Biggie announces some quiz or contest. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    CE Designer
    On a somewhat related note, do check this -> #-Link-Snipped-#
    It was written long back in 2006.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : CE came to life to bring the engineers who work on mega projects and are involved in extreme engineering together on a common platform. Quality is of course our #1 priority.

The reason why we expanded into other non-engineering categories is that it brings us traffic and we hope to find our heros in that traffic. Plus, one major reason why 'numbers' matter to us is that the current business model is based on online advertisements; which help the site pay all its bills. We hope to evolve to a better business model in this year and are already taking steps in the right direction.

These days, I've totally given up on worrying about traffic and totally focusing all my energies on evolving CE platform. I just hope that if we offer value to our members, CE will grow. Our ultimate aim is to build an engineering company. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I understand your reason for wanting the numbers. We have found great members i am sure in non-engineering threads, i agree with this view. The best example i know of is #-Link-Snipped-#.
    You are a great admin, the site is wonderful and we have great members. You are well on your way to forming a company. Keep your valued members happy, they are the ones you should listen to.
    May I ask for some statistics on how many people find difficulty while browsing the site? If the numbers are low then no problem. If its high then we can work on a solution.
    I used to mod a gaming site before when we were in our golden days (Halo). We decided we needed to enhance the site. Another mod and I did a massive clean up on the site. We deleted old threads that were useless and re-named the headers to make them more attractive, we made a video that tells a story of what we are about, added some new categories like a photo gallery to share photos. Take a look if you like: #-Link-Snipped-#
    If you want ideas for CE, you will get them, we just have to collaborate on it, there are intelligent members here who will have some good ideas ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Absolute Zero isn't for attracting traffic; because we show it only to our logged in members. The number of people who find CE difficult to use is unfortunately 'high'. Almost everyone I've met 'offline' tells me the same reason and I'm not sure what changes we should implement because we follow the regular forum structure.

Other than that; I know that the opinion of the most regular members here matters. As I said, I no longer focus on traffic. We're onto few nice things which we'll reveal at right times ๐Ÿ˜€
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The_Big_K
    Absolute Zero isn't for attracting traffic; because we show it only to our logged in members.
    Maybe you can advertise it to attract people. People are into comics. I'm just saying.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    CE Designer
    Maybe you can advertise it to attract people. People are into comics. I'm just saying.
    We can make videos for CE too on following topics -

1. Tutorials OR "how to's" for using CE-Forums
    2. Explain our motto - "Uniting Engineers Across the World"
    3. How to benefit from CE?

Do we have any video making experts here who can help us do this?
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I think those who can't understand the structure of CE are complete noobs. Common man this is one of the most structured and easy to understand forum. If anybody has visited any forum in their past life, then they would know how well organized CE actually is. Kudos to the staff ๐Ÿ‘
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Does CE run on SMF? Which theme is CE using currently?

Shall I give an idea?Why don't we start a logo designing competition. Lets have a makeover as far as the logo is considered. I am sure we will discover some great designers in this process. Just a suggestion ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# We've had t-shirt design competition and several others. We aren't changing our logo as yet. But we do plan to announce new contests soon ๐Ÿ˜€

CE runs on XenForo.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I am eagerly waiting for the next contest.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    *Lot* of my friends registered on CE. Only Dileep has become regular and no others remember it now. Same problem here too. They don't know What is CE? and What they can do on CE?

How about having a very simple alert box for the visitors who come from google search, "What is CrazyEngineers? and What CEans do?" After clicking the OK button, they could view the site. Then the visitor can have an idea about the site and he views the content and if he interested he would join and become regular.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    I have read this thread from page 1 to current page ..and i do agree about the quality ,what we took as a oath for making it as beautiful forum like a garden where fresh buddies flouring up and seniors like a Gardener helping them ๐Ÿ˜€. One idea just strike in my mind...
    A visitor joins it as a member or not
    1:If it joins it we can introduce him with a bot (or it can be defined as mentor which can be regular CEans)which can help them exploring the CE and like a one to one chit-chat session.what the purpose bring here etc.
    2:If we find out a person just visiting the site and not joining as it closes the site we can flash a message like you got information for which you came here..or suggest other links based on the forum what he/she is searching.

and at last we can have a site-map at home page showing all the information regarding what is where in CE.

Suggestions are welcome please add your thoughts on this what we can more do!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's a good suggestion. We can display alert box and make people aware. I'm not sure whether new visitors will really go through the description of CE; but of course, we can try. We may even make a video describing CE; but not many colleges/offices allow Videos. Text seems to be the best option. Let me try to come up with something on these lines.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah text is the good option. More people don't spent their time to watch videos and as you said videos were not allowed in some places. It could help if we come up with an attractive description of just 2-3 lines. Lengthy passages doesn't actually let users to read, as what we are doing while installing software, we'll just click 'I accept' button without reading anything, right?

This is just a try and I hope it works atleast for some.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# posted his message while I was typing my response. I think we aren't here to force anyone to join. Those who find CE useful join right away. Read the latest introduction messages; people who were impressed with what we have here have joined. Our target is now to reach to a greater number of engineers out there.

The problem I think can be classified into two main categories :-
    1. The visitors do not get a clear message about what CE is and how they can benefit.
    2. We need to create more value for all users of CE so that they find it beneficial to them.
    For example; while we have a good number of working professionals who are active members of CE; but it's possible that they may not find things of their interest. Similarly, CE may not offer everything that an engineering student is looking for. There are very few who'd join CE for the sake of improving their knowledge, participating in discussions and so on. That is a real problem!
    The first problem can be addressed right away and I'll do something about it in the coming days. Will post information through announcements section.
    As far as the second problem is concerned, we need to figure out what would most of the engineers benefit from (apart from discussions and ideas sharing).
    If you have any feedback or ideas about addressing the problem #2, I'll be happy to hear.
    That said; a lot of work is being done behind the scenes and I can't talk about it just yet. ๐Ÿ˜€ I know all our CEans love surprises and we love to give them to you ๐Ÿ‘
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    #-Link-Snipped-# How about having Related Search results at the bottom of the page? Even this could help to make the visitors to read more number of interesting threads.
    If a visitor comes from google search to read the answer for his question 'Can a Java program runs without the main()? He will read all the posts of that thread and if we display related searches there, he might get to know some more threads like
    - Have fun in learning java.
    - Java programming questions.
    - What is the difference between core java and advanced java?
    - Best book to learn java.
    - Java ppts/materials.

This could give more attention on CE to the visitors.
    Is this feature available already? I don't know because I haven't visited CE as a visitor.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We might plan that feature; but it's not currently in the pipeline at the moment.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    The_Big_K
    We need to create more value for all users of CE so that they find it beneficial to them.

As far as the second problem is concerned, we need to figure out what would most of the engineers benefit from (apart from discussions and ideas sharing).
    If you have any feedback or ideas about addressing the problem #2, I'll be happy to hear.
    Sure will let you know, and discuss also with my friends.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I think majority of the students come to find readymade projects, seminars etc. When they do not find that, they simply say that "CE is difficult to understand/navigate".
    Some means to please them (shopping cart is an interesting idea) can increase repeat visits. Quality matters though.
    Concerning 'About CE', a presentation or comic strips can be addded. Also, 'History of CE' can help people to know better how CE has evolved over time and aims to be in future. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Shreyas Sule
    I think majority of the students come to find readymade projects, seminars etc. When they do not find that, they simply say that "CE is difficult to understand/navigate".
    Some means to please them (shopping cart is an interesting idea) can increase repeat visits. Quality matters though.
    Concerning 'About CE', a presentation or comic strips can be addded. Also, 'History of CE' can help people to know better how CE has evolved over time and aims to be in future. ๐Ÿ˜€
    There are two kind of people who are searching ready codes.
    1. Is Students who want ready board, code and design sometimes even project report
    2. And another kind of people who are really developing the code or project and when they stuck to anywhere then they tried to find some ready(reference) code or design.
    I support people in second category as they are at-least trying to work by themselves and then they are posting about reference codes.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    godfather
    There are two kind of people who are searching ready codes.
    1. Is Students who want ready board, code and design sometimes even project report
    2. And another kind of people who are really developing the code or project and when they stuck to anywhere then they tried to find some ready(reference) code or design.
    I support people in second category as they are at-least trying to work by themselves and then they are posting about reference codes.
    The first kind you described usually will leave CE and never return I suspect. You are right, we should operate with integrity and ethics and not give handouts, only technical advice and assistance, not wholesale projects.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That is right. We don't give out ready made projects. But as discussed earlier; we could be a place where engineers share their original work for the benefit of others. That is if you upload your project work on CE; others looking for help might find it useful. Of course, there will be people who'll simply copy-paste from your project; but we can't really control them!

That said, decision on becoming a 'traders place' for project reports isn't final yet. It requires lot of additions to CE and we'll surely try to come up with something useful (and legal ๐Ÿ˜€ ) if we want to go that way.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# That is right. We don't give out ready made projects. But as discussed earlier; we could be a place where engineers share their original work for the benefit of others. That is if you upload your project work on CE; others looking for help might find it useful. Of course, there will be people who'll simply copy-paste from your project; but we can't really control them!

That said, decision on becoming a 'traders place' for project reports isn't final yet. It requires lot of additions to CE and we'll surely try to come up with something useful (and legal ๐Ÿ˜€ ) if we want to go that way.
    Right If we started sharing our own works then some other people also join us (that's why i have started some threads long before sharing design as well code) and once there is nice group of such people we can make project for CE LAB also. And I am sure if we have group of such members it will increase many more registrations on CE.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Copy and Pasting is ok as long as you Reference the work properly ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I don't think its because of the difficulty or it's because of anything(Ready made projects or anything else). #-Link-Snipped-# You might have remember that all this feedback was made(Ash, You and even GodFather was there at the moment) in the past and almost all the feedback is the same. In my opinion, we've enough active CEans but the intensity is not quite the same everyday. One major reason, here's an example : "The above explanation with the example I have provided is just for illustration purposes, for the simple minds (bookish minds) to understand what exactly happens." Said by a CEan in the past made another CEan to stop posting in that section. - Who exactly aren't bookish(From what source will you get information) out here! Bloody hell! Yes, If some one is then what's the problem - A question was asked or an answer will given in an intent to learn/ or to share - if it's stupid then correct it - but if you abase/degrade one's position then no one will even try to make that mistake again and again. Hence will certainly quit doing that and will continue read that books because he's not even getting the correct answer he was looking for and at the same time he's adding insult to -.........(Broke out)

I'm sorry for this post!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I fully agree with you. Forum flames aren't new and it's almost impossible to monitor each and every post. Plus, there can never be very strict rules in terms of posting. I've even been told that we've the strictest rules. We've always asked CEans to respect each other and use nice language.

If the language (or the overall tone) of a post is negative or not in line with the overall protocol of the site; we have the 'report' button. I encourage CEans to use it to bring the objectionable content to mod's notice.

On a different view: What changes to our content or sections do we need to make to attract newer members and make them active?
  • avii
    avii
    On traders system, I appreciate the idea, but how you guys gonna decide whether the code uploaded is original work of the uploader ?

The_Big_K
    On a different view: What changes to our content or sections do we need to make to attract newer members and make them active?
    I honestly feel PG sections have become slow. TBH I joined CE to ask questions about after engineering questions & if I haven't got addicted, I'd have never bothered to come back. The active members are still studying I guess. For example, in GATE section, we don't have enough members who can suggest colleges, further options etc. Hell, I feel very less CEans have given GATE. Same applies to GRE section. I am sure if someone comes here asking US univs recommendations, he wouldn't get proper replies / suggestions.

I only know about PG sections, cos I visit them often. I cannot comment on others.

And also, every time I see, in What's New, most of the threads will be related to technology / news / off topic etc but very less related to engineering / education / career etc. This makes CE more of a tech site than a education / career site. Same applies with Voice, except few posts, most of them will be related to tech news. There are so many sites which provide tech site, why CE also do same ? The news mostly the famous one which gets eye attention on any sites. We should cover something that is interesting, but getting less attention but it is worth to know about. Show me something which I usually miss out from tech sites like Verge, EnGadget, Gizmodo to name few. Something interesting that makes me visit it everyday & makes me eager to wait for next post wondering what it could be about.

Solution :
    • Hire some education counsellers OR request old CEans who are passed GATE / GRE / GMAT who can suggest better.
    • Every CEan, current active members can help grow CE. Ask your friends to join !
    • By grow, I don't mean no. of members rather quality of contents.
    • If you cannot make them join, atleast ask the questions posted by OP over SMS, email etc. I have done this earlier & answered in few threads related to Bank exams, GRE etc.
    This are my personal opinions & I could be wrong totally. Cheers !
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I fully agree with you. Forum flames aren't new and it's almost impossible to monitor each and every post. Plus, there can never be very strict rules in terms of posting. I've even been told that we've the strictest rules. We've always asked CEans to respect each other and use nice language.

If the language (or the overall tone) of a post is negative or not in line with the overall protocol of the site; we have the 'report' button. I encourage CEans to use it to bring the objectionable content to mod's notice.

I must first say sorry to you for posting that content direct instead reporting. You've been very strict Biggie and you have been putting hard strides from almost 6 and half years now to get the best out of CE. CE has been growing very fast from the last two years. When I first joined CE it was somewhere around 40K and it's 1.2 lakh. It's rapid and we have experiencing the change. People join here from different places around the globe to share their thoughts/knowledge and information they know. That's what attracted me towards CE - the tag "UNITING ENGINEERS ACROSS THE WORLD." We're a part of it and to be frank CE is fine, super good for all standards.

But "We will always look at the insect on white page." Hence the Innovation must be made for the survival of any. On December 1st 2011, I was for the first time after I join - thrilled watching CE.

If you don't mind, here are my suggestions in breif(sorry for being little ambitious)

-> Why don't we have an addition tab instead of forums. i.e., like CE - Space and CE - Tech byte/ or something.

Here In CE - Tech section only Engineering Trade threads(Electrical/Computer/Civil/Mech etc) will be there(in a threaded view) expanding more space for them.

Example:
    • Electrical
    1. Electronics - list (top two threads)
    2. Electrical - list (top two threads)
    Hence CE Tech section into a grid with all engineering which can only discuss about engineering where in this forum, CE strictness will be at its best i.e., every post posted will be moderated in this thread/ else depending on post count i.e., until a CEan reaches 150/500 posts his posts will be moderated in Tech forum.

Another Forum CE - Space
    which involves every other activity by CEan i.e., it could be tech news, LoL thread, absolute Zero, GATE/GRE, Debate and every other including Chillax Chit chat, Introduction, Announcements. However we can see important announcements on top of both forums.

Here, you might get worried about Tech forum can be ignored if CE - Space exists. Well we have CE - VOICE and CE forums. CE -VOICE has been very successful/ is the best part in CE.

But still CE Tech section and CE Space can be interlinked. i.e., in a way where CEan can notice them. Just below my name I can see staff Online which is unnecessary almost(I'm sorry). Here CEans can see Top CE Tech Posts, Voice posts - rolling/static when they enter into CE Space and vice-verse when we enter into CE Tech forum in a window (like CE fans - share in twitter kind of a box). Here, by doing this CE Technical section will improve in its quality since no misquote can be made and might attract more technical learn/loving/sharing people around the globe.

While in CE Space CEans can have a good communication sharing the information whatever it may be where the strictness is very little.

However by doing this CE can attract engineers of both category and might help in CE's progress. However CE flames will be there anyway since we get all kinds of people but sorry again, sometimes we loose out of sorts(in condition like ready made projects or when someone criticize us).
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Another thing is the log-in issue for newbie's.

Because, if I log in to some other new site I can figure out what is what but for the first time watching persons it won't be the same and they might feel it somewhat difficult. Hence whenever they press CE- Space/ Tech or CE - forums(Which is there right now) ask for Log-in. If not, ask for sign up. Then ask the details there in - and can we make those details posted directly in Introductions section/ else direct him(the site) directly into introduction section(like, site redirecting ...) like that without the involvement of anyone. Hence, the new CEan might not feel oops! Am I landed in wrong place. There, after watching welcome replies he can be settled down and can ask for queries. Later, CE Rules can be PM-ed to him/her so that he can know what actually CE is all about.

All the other things will follow later with his progress.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Wow, this thread is going great! ๐Ÿ‘

#-Link-Snipped-#, interesting points there.
    But I don't agree on this.
    Mr.Don
    Just below my name I can see staff Online which is unnecessary almost(I'm sorry). Here CEans can see Top CE Tech Posts rolling when they enter into CE Space and vice-verse when we enter into CE Tech forum like CE fans - share in twitter kind of a box.
    The CE Home page lists the recent discussions in the Forum. And also the Forum page lists out the recent discussions on the board which are shared on Twitter.
    'Staff Online' is very helpful for newbies. In case they are lost or need any help with the community, they know whom to contact. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    Solution :
    • Hire some education counsellers OR request old CEans who are passed GATE / GRE / GMAT who can suggest better.
    • Every CEan, current active members can help grow CE. Ask your friends to join !
    • By grow, I don't mean no. of members rather quality of contents.
    • If you cannot make them join, atleast ask the questions posted by OP over SMS, email etc. I have done this earlier & answered in few threads related to Bank exams, GRE etc.
    This are my personal opinions & I could be wrong totally. Cheers !

Interesting! We are holding on forum restructuring because of the recent migration to our new platform. It's affected our traffic and typically takes about 6 months. I agree that we need to do something about the existing set of sections.

I'm noting down other suggestions.
    ---------
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Your suggestion is interesting and I'm going to see how it fits our strategy and planned developments.

We've had popular posts section in the sidebar; but few of the users had complained that the 'popular posts' on CE are from Chit-Chat section! ๐Ÿ˜• .This needs to be addressed. I believe more engineering related threads would definitely attract more engineers; and I wish to see engineers from other countries to participate as well. It will benefit everyone!

For the newbies; we do have a special notice in place and are planning to launch a new feature for newbies. It's currently under development and I hope to make an announcement soon ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Dancer_Engineer
    Wow, this thread is going great! ๐Ÿ‘

#-Link-Snipped-#, interesting points there.
    But I don't agree on this.

The CE Home page lists the recent discussions in the Forum. And also the Forum page lists out the recent discussions on the board which are shared on Twitter.
    'Staff Online' is very helpful for newbies. In case they are lost or need any help with the community, they know whom to contact. ๐Ÿ˜€
    "We will always look at the insect on white page."

Okay, but in the case that I've just told if CE has two sections and if a CEan concentrates on one. Something must bother him to check in into the tech section. If that scrolling is just below his name then he atleast will check in into the tech section and can see what's going on. Here, still we CE can have staff online tab at the bottom.

๐Ÿ˜ CE- Home - Well, to be practical whenever I press CrazyEngineers I'll first look for login button which will be present after entering into CE forums. Here, my motive for that post is CE must be very transparent and at the same time must be vivid because it's such a great idea.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yeah, 'staff online' actually has helped first time visitors feel more comfortable that there's someone to help. "Staff Online" is staying for some time; until we figure out a better widget to replace it with ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    The_Big_K
    Interesting! We are holding on forum restructuring because of the recent migration to our new platform. It's affected our traffic and typically takes about 6 months. I agree that we need to do something about the existing set of sections.

I'm noting down other suggestions.
    ---------
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Your suggestion is interesting and I'm going to see how it fits our strategy and planned developments.

We've had popular posts section in the sidebar; but few of the users had complained that the 'popular posts' on CE are from Chit-Chat section! ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hence, in my post I've differentiated CE Tech forum from CE Space where CE Tech sub forum will be totally technical and CE Space is all other. In tech there will be no scrolling but in CE space - The latest/top Tech threads will be under scrolling. Hence all the Tech loving people will get no distraction as well and the quality will be better since the posts will be moderated.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yeah, 'staff online' actually has helped first time visitors feel more comfortable that there's someone to help. "Staff Online" is staying for some time; until we figure out a better widget to replace it with ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yes.
    I feel newbies even try to contact 'active' members or members with more number of posts through PM. A few newbies did contact me for query on the Forum.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I must also inform you that this year, we're moving ahead on the belief that more 'things to do' (we're just a discussion forum right now) on CE will attract more engineers. We began working on our plans back in December and adopting a new, advanced platform was the first thing. In this year; we're going to do the things we've never done before.

I also want to bring an important point home: We aren't doing bad at all! CE's growing strong! I just hope that this discussion is actually about 'pushing the boundaries'. Several CE clones have mushroomed in the past and have vanished; but CE is strong and growing - and it'd not be possible without the love of our CEans!

That said, we largely neglected things we should have done. But better late than never! I'm tempted to tell you what we're doing; but since you love surprises; we'll ๐Ÿ˜ฏ.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    I'm tempted to tell you what we're doing; but since you love surprises; we'll ๐Ÿ˜ฏ.
    ๐Ÿ˜›
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    ...but since you love surprises.
    For any book, I read the end first ๐Ÿ‘€. Tell us ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

SpaceMonkey is taking Dropbox head on with 1Tb of local and cloud storage. The founders argue that the 'cloud only' approach has its own flaws. They say that with the...
It's really amazing that there is a Double Decker train in India also. Check out this.... Its awesome ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜ https://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_life/2010-11-23/824086799667.html I think its pretty challenging to make Non- A/C...
I'm sure many of you might have installed the latest Windows 8 developer preview edition on your computers. Why not share your own views about the latest from Microsoft? In...
A home based business is something that anyone of us can start without little or no funding. It is something that attracts a lot of people, but very few know...
Green Energy is not a new term to anyone nowadays. We read about it almost daily in newspapers and TVs. I was wondering that building a startup around it must...