IES vs GATE

Am in my Mech., 3rd year. My mates started preparing for GATE exams. But am interested in doing IES. But I know that IES is much tougher than GATE. But which is best for a engineering career? If I prepare for IES, will it be useful for GATE?

Also : Is it necessary to go coaching classes for IES? How can I start prepare? Preparing to start now so tips are welcome..

Greetings,
Gowtham Anbu.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    gowthamanbu
    Am in my Mech., 3rd year. My mates started preparing for GATE exams. But am interested in doing IES. But I know that IES is much tougher than GATE. But which is best for a engineering career? If I prepare for IES, will it be useful for GATE?
    These two are entirely different paths:
    IES - You want to pursue with job in engineering service.
    GATE - You want to go for higher studies or research in one of the engineering major.

So, first you need to make up your mind and from there you can go on. I would suggest you, don't be in a dubious mind - that you will prepare for IES and if you will not get success then GATE. That will not going to help you.

If you want to go for engineering services just after college, go with a full swing and no body can stop you.

Personally, to college goers, I always recommend to aim for the higher studies, as you are still in study mode. Let's gain some more knowledge if you do not have any personal commitments.

-CB
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# But i heard that GATE score is required in some companies for jobs. Is that true?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I do not know how true is this?

The reason is if you are applying for a company the primary reason would be Job, why a company would care if you want to go for higher studies (If you will go, why they will hire you as you wouldn't be available for next two years).

Still, even if they ask for that, you can try convincing them that you are not looking for higher studies at this moment and want to earn some experience before going for further studies.

Logical??

-CB
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    Yes #-Link-Snipped-# that's true..
    But your GATE score need to be too high..
    If you are selected through GATE score there are companies like Damoder Valley Corporation where you have to appear directly for the group discussion round.
  • malaka
    malaka
    Hi
    1st you decide which way to apply.
    1) IES
    2)GATE
    These are 2 different paths.
    My suggestion is GATE is best option but do study hard.
    Best luck your future.
  • chandu jain
    chandu jain
    gowthamanbu
    #-Link-Snipped-# But i heard that GATE score is required in some companies for jobs. Is that true?
    most of the companies in govt sector like NTPC , BHEL have already strated the recuirtment on th basis of gate score
  • bhanuteja
    bhanuteja
    Can we crack GATE if we prepare for IES?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Before Oct 8th, Windows release Microsoft has unveiled the new Logo after 25 Years (The existing logo is continuing since 1987). This time in place of italicized color boxes, the...
do i get good job if i complete cdac in vlsi and what could be the starting salary and and what are the companies i could be placed
😉 hey all ...i'm chetan mech 3rd year........
Name: [Prototype] *Engineering Trade: Electronics Engineering Location: India *Occupation: Student ( B.E. finished, going for PG Diploma course to utilize the time I remain free from PG Degree course preparation)...