Idea Cellular Slashes 2g Rates By 90%

Happy Days for consumers in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kolkata, West Bengal, Assam, North East, Bihar, and Orissa circles.

Idea Cellular had decided to slash the 2G price by whopping 90%. Earlier consumer in these eight status used to pay 2 Paise / KB, now after the announcement from July 1st, they would be paying merely 2 Paise / 10 KB.

Recently Airtel and Vodafone had also dropped their Data plan rates. Do you think that emerging technologies at cheaper rate is reason of these fall of rates, or its competition among providers that's proving profitable for the consumers.

-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    With 2G rates slashed, I'm thinking of keeping the data connection always on in 2G mode. I tried keeping data connections on with 3G and it totally drained the battery in a day and a half. I'll now test it with 2G - ideal to get notifications and if you want some serious work done fast - switch to 3G.

Good to see price wars beginning again in Indian markets.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I tried keeping data connections on with 3G and it totally drained the battery in a day and a half.
    Whoa!
    On 3G your phone sustains for one and a half day, which phone are you using. My Galaxy S2, doesn't last over a day If I keep it on 3G for the entire day with a moderate usage of 2-3 hours with little browsing and gaming.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've Samsung Galaxy Note II and it's got huge battery, plus I don't run any apps than the default ones and I use Wi-Fi to check emails, if required. That should be heavier than plain 3G usage; but the phone does last long enough.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've Samsung Galaxy Note II and it's got huge battery, plus I don't run any apps than the default ones and I use Wi-Fi to check emails, if required. That should be heavier than plain 3G usage; but the phone does last long enough.
    Samsung Note 2!!
    I heard from couple of my friends, that are using NOTE 2, that this phone has a monsters battery that last for around two days.
    - CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyboy
    Samsung Note 2!!
    I heard from couple of my friends, that are using NOTE 2, that this phone has a monsters battery that last for around two days.
    - CB
    Mine can go for 3 days with all the unnecessary things shut off (read: pure business use). Quite happy with the phone so far, except for the absence of Gorilla Glass. Already got a small scratch on the screen, it's not noticeable; but it still hurts when I look at it 😳.

Back to the discussion topic: I hope Reliance will create havoc in the markets with pricing of 4G 😉
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quite happy with the phone so far, except for the absence of Gorilla Glass. Already got a small scratch on the screen, it's not noticeable; but it still hurts when I look at it 😳.
    Note 2 has Corning's Gorilla Glass version 2.
    Corning's GG v2 is thinner than GG v1. GGv2 has low tensile strength & high shear strength : Which means, you can press the screen with your thumb as hard as you want & it won't break, but striking on the screen with certain velocity(a surprise attack) with any hard object(or a fall of phone facing screen to tough object) can eventually destruct the glass.

Oops, Why am I blabbering all this ?
    All I meant is, Your Note2 have Gorilla Glass v2, which is scratch resistant not scratch-proof,& it's not god-material, it can break into pieces too.Scratches may appear.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - are you sure that the information published in leading media is correct? Corning's own website doesn't mention support to Note II.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - are you sure that the information published in leading media is correct? Corning's own website doesn't mention support to Note II.
    Seems like this is a correct information.
    Samsung NOTE 2 is in list of phone using Gorilla glass.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Back to the topic:
    Waiting when 3G would be cheaper or unlimited in Indian market.

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Note 1 had GGv1, it seems quite obvious to me that Note 2 must have GG.
    Every high-end phones are using GG, so Note 2 must have & it certainly have it.

BTW, how about sending mail to Samsung customer care about this query & confirm whether it has GG or not ?

crazyboy
    Back to the topic:
    Waiting when 3G would be cheaper or unlimited in Indian market.

-CB
    Airtel(& almost all operators) increased their rate of 2G/3G since January 2013.
    198 rupees per month for 2G unlimited bandwidth & 750 bucks for 3G unlimited bandwidth is ridiculous.

It's not that India don't have any advanced technology like US do, Government servants & business juggernauts are busy sucking up money from 100 crore people,nothing much.

I have seen 35/36 MBps of bandwidth from one of my guild-mate of US in an online game.And he said that this speed is quite "normal" there.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Both competition & technology advances will push rates down.

Though at the same time, too much demand will provide some equilibrium. Especially if operators skimp on the capacity of backhaul, optimization of signals and network performance.

India is a very hot market for telecommunications, with huge room for growth.

What are the rates for LTE in India?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have been a spidigo internet subscriber for 8 months now and using a broadband cable connection. I wanted to use mobile phone and a laptop through wireless medium hence...
I do not even remember that in last one year of so, how many mobile phones reviews I had read. Also, not sure which one is best out of the...
I am student of last year at graduation level.I want to execute my project in Structures devotedly .Kindly suggest me a few emerging and important project topics. The projects which...
Almost 3 months after the release of Resource section; We, CrazyEngineers now have more than 500 books in the CE library & still the number is increasing daily.Thanks to some...
IIT JEE (Advanced) 2013 results are declared two days in advance on 21st June. Earlier results were supposed to be declared on 23rd June. Though results are announced couple of...