IBM Visions 2000 Suns Strong Solar Collector

In Greek mythology, Icarus, the son of Daedalus, was known to fly too close to the sun for his own good. Current solar technology is analogous to that myth in the sense that the devices are prone to harness only a threshold energy from the sun or they shall fry. The ridiculous expense, slow production and a constant requirement of rare Earth minerals only provide just enough for the solar engineering to work at a below average efficiency. Why, there's a reason you don't see the renewable energy revolution just yet. But scientists don't let an opportunity to progress pass by. They are thinking at the nanoscale, they are thinking the Icarus from Danny Boyle's Sunshine and not the wax-feathered Greek. An affordable photo-voltaic system capable of gathering the power of 2000 suns is set to become the brainchild of the collaboration between IBM, Airlight energy and Swiss university.

slide

High Concentration PhotoVoltaic Thermal (HCPVT) system is a huge parabolic dish, home to a number of mirror facets and affixed to a tracking system that determines the best angle with respect to the position of sun. The mirrors reflect the sun's rays onto several microchannel-liquid cooled receivers. Each 1x1 cm photovolatic chip can potentially generate power equivalent to 200-250 watts on a typical sunny day. Taking inspiration from the hierarchical blood supply system of a human, the cooling system of the collector is devised so as to use a very small pumping power. A lot of heat that is absorbed is usually redundant, but instead of dissipating it, the HCPVT system will put this into use to provide drinkable water. Needless to say, such a system would be a boon to areas deficient in sustainable energy, drinkable water and cool air. More than 30 percent of collected solar radiation is converted into electrical energy and the waste heat is efficiently recovered for better use. Fancy finding this in the middle of a desert, totally beats an oasis!

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    How can this be used to provide water????????
    Sorry😉 but i didn't understand the concept.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I am amazed to see this, but i would like to know more on the security precautions taken in case of any accident. I dont know if this question is valid but 2k suns is very high energy.. so need to know about the safety.What if the coolant system doesnt work and what is the magnitude of any accident , if happens?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    2% of Sahara desert's land area works out to about 188000 sqkm, which ain't no joke, seeing Delhi's area is a little under 1500 sqkm.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    #-Link-Snipped-# I believe the idea is to provide *drinkable* water. All the remainder heat is given to the salty water which is then passed through a distillation system.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A Dutch company is looking for applicants to 'one way' trip to Mars. Yes, you read it right - it's a ONE WAY trip. Once you go, there's no return...
Was going through the website of Vector Institute(https://www.vectorindia.org/). They have a very large list of recruiters(https://www.vectorindia.org/placement_record.html) and their course structure for Embedded Systems looks quite promising. I just want to...
We recently had a weekend debate where CEans participated in real time via CE Conference. It was an interesting event and all of us had a great time. I had...
CEans, Our earlier setup required CEans to login using different credentials to post their comments on our blog. However, the upgraded system solves that problem by allowing members to comment...
I am in my 4th year. So this year i have to start my undergrad thesis. My advisor suggested me any topic related rainfall. Suppose, Relation between Rainfall and river...