I need to know where I can find a video cable for. . .

I have an older iMac that I need a video cable for. It's the "all in one" thingo, where the monitor, speakers, and tower is all in one machine. I download videos and whatnot off LimeWire (from my dell), and I put them on my external hard drive and then transfer them to my iMac (the iMac doesn't have internet connection) because my iMac won't play DVDs. I want to watch the movies on my tv that play on my computer. So, I have an audio cable that runs from my computer to my tv, but I don't have a video cable. I'm also not sure where I would plug it to (if I got the video cable).
Does anyone know where I can find one? If you do, tell me what it's called.

Also, does anyone know how I can rip dvd's to my computer so I can put them on my external hard drive as a mpeg file?

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    If it has USB you can get a USB TV-Out & plug to TV.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Yes, but where would I find one? I looked in radioshack, and they didn't have that
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    No internet and DVD player? You really need to sell that iMac 😛

Whats the exact model? iMac G3? Does it have a VGA port thing? Might try looking for a VGA-TV cable. Have no idea exactly what its called though.

Anyways, its not a good idea to play movies off a computer on TV unless you have a special adapter (or a graphics card that has a TV out port). It wont look too nice 😉

Oh, I hear that the most popular DVD rippers are illegal in the US 😛 Try searching for DVDDecrypter and AutoGK.. you've been warned though!
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Thanks, ash. Well. . . my iMac is like 5 or 6 years old. I'm not sure the exact model. And I don't know if it has a VGA port either. I don't know if I know what that looks like.
    [EDIT]
    And the only reason I don't have internet on it is because there isn't an internet connection in my room.
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    Well a pal of mine with a similar but different issue uses a SVideo cable...
    Svideo
    with a converter..attached to tv..lookup on the www and see the analogies and pin config..
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    u can use either the S-Video out cable to connect your computer and Tv, or if there is HDMI port in your computer (mostly the dell one's have in it) then you can connect via it. The clarity of the movie will be very good if you connect via HDMI port.

Yes you can rip the dvd's by some softwares or you can just convert them real player files which compresses the file with a good video clarity( although the video clarity will go down by compression) with a good compression ratio.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    samarjeetsaigal
    u can use either the S-Video out cable to connect your computer and Tv, or if there is HDMI port in your computer (mostly the dell one's have in it) then you can connect via it. The clarity of the movie will be very good if you connect via HDMI port.

Yes you can rip the dvd's by some softwares or you can just convert them real player files which compresses the file with a good video clarity( although the video clarity will go down by compression) with a good compression ratio.
    Thanks so much! I don't think my iMac has a HDMI port. It's about 5-6 years old.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I bet her computer doesn't have HDMI port. Most probably, your Mac has a VGA port.

Here's how it looks like:-
    [​IMG]

So you could just get a VGA to S-Video dongle:

#-Link-Snipped-# OR

#-Link-Snipped-#

Let me know if this helps.
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    @ the big K
    But i think we don't have the VGA port in the TV. it's in the monitor not in the TV.

Regards
    Samar
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    samarjeetsaigal
    @ the big K
    But i think we don't have the VGA port in the TV. it's in the monitor not in the TV.

Regards
    Samar
    Not very sure. Kinetic, could you check and tell us what ports are available on your TV?

Most of the LCD TVs do have VGA port. Even the component / composite would do. You can get all kinds of dongles/connectors out there.
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    Ya kinetic, if you can tell the details of p[orts available on your TV, then it will be helpful for us to help you and we will be happy to tell you something more
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    It's just you're everyday red white and yellow TV-OUT ports (not sure what they're called).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KINETIC_JOULES
    It's just you're everyday red white and yellow TV-OUT ports (not sure what they're called).
    That's called component -

[​IMG]

Blue -> Yellow
    White -> Green
    Red -> Red

You'll need a VGA <-> Component dongle/cable. [​IMG]

Ebay? 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need some help with a project. I am looking for a surface mount IC voltage regulator. My specs are: input voltage will be able to handle up to 48...
I'm new to the forum and in need of some help with a matlab program. Hopefully someone here is familiar with matlab and nested loops. I need to write a...
hai all im anoop im into final year of my engineering life.this sem we have seminar .i need a very good and laetst topic which can make me diff frm...
2008 is a year of execution. Thing’s will come to pass. It is a year of spiritual awakening and enlightenment. All known institutions, we depend on, like the social security...
A LOT has been said about Artificial Intelligence. Lot of research is going on. But it would be interesting to find out what our CEans think about possibility of artificial...