I need some advice about universities.

Hello, I'm new here, so a quick introduction is in order I think ๐Ÿ˜€
I'm 16, and I enjoy physics, so naturally I decided that I would become an engineer. I looked at a few engineering forums and chose this one. I thought that if I was to do a degree in engineering then it's not a bad idea to become part of a community of engineers ๐Ÿ˜. So here I am.

Anyway, now my dilemma, I want to do Electrical and/or Electronic, this is simple enough. Now, I have the option of two universities. They both offer different advantages and disadvantages. I have thought about this a lot, alas I still cannot choose one. I would like your opinions on this. Advantages and Disadvantages listed below.

University of Khartoum (UOFK):
+ Better recognized internationally compared to UMST.
+ Offers specializations in (i.e more specializations)
1. Electronic and Computer Systems
2. Communication Systems
3. Control Systems and Instrumentation
4. Power Systems
5. Electronic Systems Software
โ€‹
- The lectures are in a language in which I am not proficient in, I can get by, but not at that level, I will have to self study all the material.
- The overall quality of the university is worsening.

University of Medical Sciences and Technology (UMST):
+ It's fully English
+ Much better facilities
+ Everything is of a higher standard

- Only offers two specializations:
1. Control
2. Telecommunications
โ€‹
- Not as widely recognized internationally.

The University of Khartoum gives me a B.Sc(Hon) when I graduate, whereas UMST gives me a B.Eng. I don't know any advantages/disadvantages regarding this.

I know it's a long read but I would be infinitely grateful if you could read through the information I just supplied and give me your opinion. I need to accept one of the applications in a few days, so I don't have that much time ๐Ÿ˜”. So please don't hesitate to post, tell me all you know regarding this.

N.B: One more small question... ๐Ÿ˜€ (Telecommunications is an example)
1. If I do specialize in Telecommunications, can I then do a Masters degree in another specialization? or will I be stuck with Telecommunications.

Thank you ever so much!

Replies

• Ahmedbasil1
    Ahmedbasil1
    Come on people! 66 views and not one reply! Really, I need every opinion. Are you seriously telling me you have no opinions? not even a single thought? come on please.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    hi ahmed.... ๐Ÿ˜€

sorry for the delayed reply...

as for the college selection, one of the most important things is how much things you grasp from the teachers and learn from them... because not every one from a very good coll. end up being sucessfull at the same time not every one who gets a degree from a bit lower class coll. ends up being a failure... where ever you are the most important thing is what you learn. in case of the first coll. you have to mostly self studies and there is little you can learn from the teachers, but as for the second one you will get to learn the concepts directly from them instead of doing a " correspondence" course ๐Ÿ˜€
    plus you say the facilities and standards are better in UMST. so there should be nothing stopping you from joining the UMST... ๐Ÿ˜€

all the best... ๐Ÿ‘

Cooltwins ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, Ahmed! We're happy to have you with us.

First of all, the +ves & -ves you've mentioned need to be verified. Have you tried interacting with the current/past students of both the universities? If not, please try to do so. However, with the information you've posted, UMST would be my recommendation. By the time you graduate, UMST could be a well known university.

1. If I do specialize in Telecommunications, can I then do a Masters degree in another specialization? or will I be stuck with Telecommunications.
    I think your choice will be limited, I think. Maybe others can help.
  • Ahmedbasil1
    Ahmedbasil1
    Thank you ever so much guys!
    Have you tried interacting with the current/past students of both the universities?
    Yes, I know a lot of them very well actually. Thank you ever so much Cooltwin and The_Big_K, I agree with both of you in the fact that UMST is the better choice. It's only the specialization that I have doubts about. Well, only thing left to do is to spend some time with my pal Google ๐Ÿ˜‰ about the specialization problem.

EDIT: Thanks for the heartfelt welcomes ๐Ÿ˜€ I'm glad to become part of the community.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You're welcome. We look forward to active participation from you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A Noida based Mobile handset Manufacturer Lava International claim that Lava B5 is the first mobile to be launched with the Indian Rupee symbol. Now no need to write RS...
Let's nominate our favorite CEans for various titles. Let's see what everyone thinks. ๐Ÿ˜€ Following are the categories - Most Active CEan: Most Talented CEan: Funniest CEan: CEans We Miss...
hello guys,, my self have interest in face detection....so what are all the ideas as you know using face detection please help me...
hello ๐Ÿ˜€ i am preparing for my first aptitude test... any suggestions?? how do go ahead with it?? plz help.
Hi godfather, Myself Chetan Jaiswal, final yr ECE dept,wants to do a final ye project related to communication field... Could you please suggest me some innovative project related to microprocessor/...