View Feed
group-icon
Career Help for All
If you've a question or doubts related to career, ask them here. If you can help others make right career decisions, join in!
247 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

I have an offer from Oracle as QA and other from Factset as JAVA developer. Which one to choose as a fresher?

I'm in my final year doing dual degree(Btech+Mtech). As a fresher I'm not sure which path to choose. Oracle is offering a pay of 9.5lpa and other is 6lpa. I would also want to pursue MBA with 2 years of experience later.Few suggested that what ever I take up now wouldn't actually matter after my MBA whilst others told me that I have to return back to the same industry and continue doing same role. I'm scared to take up testing after listening to few people currently working in IT.Most of the people I know suggested to take up developer role as it exposes me to a wide range of technologies thus enhances my knowledge. I'm open to any role which has growth and scope in future.Please help me in choosing one.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Aug 17, 2019

@annie nilaya - we've discussed Career In Software Testing Vs. Software Development | CrazyEngineers and I recommend that you should go through it once. 

From your post, I think the choice is very clear for you - go with software development role with Factset. 

It's not clear whether you wish to stay in the technical role for the first few years (~10) of your career or wish to get into a non-technical role as soon as possible. It's true that after MBA, you are less likely to get into a technical role - but that'd depend upon your choice of stream for your MBA studies. 

If you choose to get into a role of a product manager; then you're most likely to need expertise in software - either as a developer or a QA. But since you do not have any specific choice - it looks to me that you should pick up software development role; even though the initial salary is lesser than what's being offered by Oracle. 

You already have a dual degree; and you wish to go for MBA - which makes me wonder if you like to work in technical domain or non-technical domain. It's better to make up your mind right now; otherwise your future decisions are going to be difficult. 

I wish you all the best!

Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Aug 17, 2019

Tagging @Saandeep Sreerambatla  because he can suggest good things about this topic.

Share this content on your social channels -