I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB ports

I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB ports, other things like mice etc... are working perfectly, on my laptop.

On connecting USB drive the we can see the USB drive in Disk drive (in Device Manager), but the in Storage volumes Generic volume is showing yellow mark, which is not resetting even on uninstalling/ installing.

I am using Windos XP SP3. Is the antivirus can disable this? Their is Symantec ANTIVIRIUS has instaaled in my computer.

Kindly help me in resuming the same.๐Ÿ˜•

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Re: I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB po

Rajesh Soni
    I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB ports, other things like mice etc... are working perfectly, on my laptop.

On connecting USB drive the we can see the USB drive in Disk drive (in Device Manager), but the in Storage volumes Generic volume is showing yellow mark, which is not resetting even on uninstalling/ installing.

I am using Windos XP SP3. Is the antivirus can disable this? Their is Symantec ANTIVIRIUS has instaaled in my computer.

Kindly help me in resuming the same.๐Ÿ˜•
    Do you have HP laptop dv series...?

If you do have then try using USB flash drive on left side of system where 2 USB ports are present... It worked for me on the left side.

Reason may be that mouse is taking power from system, however flash drive has no external power source. May be your ports are by default configured for hardware using external power.

-Crazy
  • Rajesh Soni
    Rajesh Soni
    Re: I found that only USB Drives (jump/flash/external/etc.) are not working on USB po

I have Compaq nx6120 laptop. Actually, it was working fine, but due to some urgent work I ahve connected it with my office LAN. (Where external USB drive are not allowed due to security reasons) Our office network has disabled my laptops USB drives ports also. Although, my other devices on USB are working fine, only drives are disabled. Due to this, I am not able transfer any data's.

๐Ÿ˜’
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain

Rajesh Soni
    I have Compaq nx6120 laptop. Actually, it was working fine, but due to some urgent work I ahve connected it with my office LAN. (Where external USB drive are not allowed due to security reasons) Our office network has disabled my laptops USB drives ports also. Although, my other devices on USB are working fine, only drives are disabled. Due to this, I am not able transfer any data's.

๐Ÿ˜’

Oops... now I gotta your problem.
    They have altered your registry key for pen drive access. Try searching registry for USB tor([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR]
    make it 3 (instaed of 4.. current value should be 4)) and change the value to 4 from 3

It may work by this. Or try finding out the registry which they have altered to block the USB.

-Crazy
  • Rajesh Soni
    Rajesh Soni

I have checked the registry, as given by you. The value are as given:
    (Default) REG_SZ (Value not set)
    DisplayName REG_SZ USB Mass Storage Driver
    ErrorContrl REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ system32\DRIVERS\UBSTOR.SYS
    Start REG_DWORD 0x00000003 (3)
    Type REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Still, the things are not working. If I see the device manager, I found the red cross on USB drive & Generic Volume showing yellow !. I tried to uninstal the driver of USB, on scanning the connected plug play, for fraction of secound I can see the USB drive, it seems that some things is blocking it after running the drive software.๐Ÿ˜’

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We have a search engine for videos which is claimed to be the first one to search videos by seeing images that appear in videos. Checkout the article: A Search...
CEans, Please keep everyone of us posted about the engineering, tech, entrepreneurship conferences, summits happening across the world so that we can get in touch with the organizers and partner...
Hey Guys Time to wake up. :sleeping: I see too many people asking for help in their projects and seminars. Me and Biggie were discussing about how we can help...
https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/images/smilies/mgk.gif ๐Ÿ˜ hello !! all crazy engineers! i am sachin mahapurush, pursuing BE in electrical and electronics Engineering and in second year.. i am new member............... pls tell me how...
CEans, SitePoint is giving away free ebook titled The Art & Science of CSS for next 14 err, 13 days! ๐Ÿ˜I'm downloading my copy, grab yours too! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ Here's...