Hydrogen Inversion Temperature & non-Joule Thomson cooling

I looked up your article on Hydrogen Inversion Temperature & non-Joule Thomson cooling in Wikipedia. Its unfortunate that a know-it-all made you resign. I understand the concept from the formula mathematics and temperature inversion. I don't understand where the energy to heat the gas is coming from. I always visualized Joule-Thomson cooling originating from loss of kinetic energy from the atoms or molecules. My question is where the energy to heat the molecules coming from? Thanks

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to Chemical/Metallurgy engineering section.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    The J-T point is basically where the gas molecule has so much kinetic energy when it is released from pressure that it heats when it expands. Consider any gas that expands at constant enthalpy such as through a hole in a pipe.
    Impulse: During a collision between two gas molecules they slow down or may, for an instant, even become stationary. This raises the average potential energy in the system and the average kinetic energy decreases, causing the gas to cool [conservation of energy]
    Intermolecular forces: (Van der Waal forces) are an array of forces that attempts to keeps molecules together, similar to gravitational forces.

So, the potential energy of the escaping molecules is converted to kinetic energy because there are less collisions and the intermolecular forces diminish. In 'ordinary' gases the effect of weakening intermolecular forces overcome the effect of 'less collisions' and the gas cools. In the 'quantum' gases i.e. H, He and Ne, the 'less collisions' dominate and the gas heats up viz. less collisions equals more kinetic energy = heat.

Several works approximate the critical J-T coefficient near enough to mc = Tc/6Pc

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I recall suggesting in a previous post that it would be useful to have search shortcuts to "My posts" and "Unanswered Posts". I am not sure whether this forum and...
can anybody tell me about how and why PID controlling is used in line follower robot?
here we can discuss lot about network enginneering., just post good forum under this topic. so we can know good and bad things about network enginnering............
Cache My Work Version: 1.2 File Size: 478 License: Free CacheMyWork is a handy utility that enables you to reboot Windows without losing your place in your work. It builds...
i had a problem with ipod. i bought a new ipod 1GB (not apple or any company some Japanese i think so). i loaded with songs only 14(using realplayer sp)....