HTTP/2, Not SPDY Protocol In Google Chrome 40

Google's made up its mind to support #-Link-Snipped-# and not its own New Protocol: SPDY [that's SPeeDY]. Will it replace HTTP?, the one it introduced back in 2009. Latest announcement on Chromium blog confirms that the upcoming build of Google Chrome, "Chrome 40" will include support to the brand new HTTP/2. Majority of the websites around the world currently use the version 1.1 of HTTP, which was standardised back in 1999 with #-Link-Snipped-#; and the web has evolved a lot since then. The HTTP/2 is very well on its way of standardization and Google's acknowledging it.

The HTTP/2 focuses on improvement of performance over the HTTP/1.1. Some of the key features of HTTP/2 including multiplexing, compression of header, prioritization and protocol negotiation - built into SPDY, which did not standardise. Note that Google Chrome's been supporting SPDY since version 6, but most of the advantages it offers are already included in HTTP/2. Several leading web browsers have implemented SPDY support and the list includes Firefox, Opera, Silk (Amazon), Safari, Microsoft IE etc. Google says that they'll drop the SPDY support completely in 2016.

Google-Chrome-HTTP2

Google will also remove TLS extension support named NPN to make way for ALPN in Chrome. Google has asked server developers to adapt HTTP/2 and ALPN. Read more about the development on official Chromium blog (linked in source).

Source: Chromium Blog

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Even if most people reading this article have access to internet and it is commonly believed that the entire world is connected to each other via internet, statistics suggest that...
Project Abstract / Summary : Online shopping is a form of electronic commerce which allows consumers to directly buy goods from a seller over the internet using android phones. This...
Project Abstract / Summary : This paper aims to point out the various aspect of prefabricated building methodologies for reinforced brick panels and joist by highlighting the different prefabrication techniques....
Hai, I am currently doing my masters in VLSI Design.. i wish to move my career towards VLSI core industry.. what should i do for that........????
Project Abstract / Summary : At present we are producing electricity with the use of coal & water in thermal & hydro power stations respectively, but the generation is limited...