Lovesharma
Lovesharma
Branch Unspecified
11 Sep 2018

HR Interview Question : Why did you get low grade?

I've got

10th : 69%
12th : 60%
Btech :

1 sem : 65%, 2 sem : 60%, 3 sem : 64%, 4 sem : 69%, 5 sem : 80% (3th highest in the class), 6 sem : 70%, 7 sem : 77%, 8 sem : 82% ( 5th or 6th position in the class i guess )

Overall in Btech : 72.6%

It seems my 12th class marks & the first 2 years of my btech marks are pathetic. There was some family problem (can't share) when i was in 12th class. In my engineering, i didn't pay attention in the starting and participated in many college events (like dance, wall painting, annual function etc) due to which i didn't get good internal marks and my overall percentage became pathetic but i had scored good marks later on. Even I've got 80% twice and one of the top scorers in the class.

Is my this reason exceptable? Please share your views.
I don't see any problem with telling the truth. I remember one of the candidates I was interviewing responded by saying, "Sir, I wasn't very sure whether I should go for engineering. I admit that I opted for engineering because my parents forced me. Not that I wanted to do something else, but I was just clueless. It took me one complete year before I realized that engineering was fun. I screwed up in the first year but gradually started improving from second year..."

An honest answer is what an interviewer would appreciate.
Sahithi Pallavi

Sahithi Pallavi

Computer Science
6 years ago
Honesty is the Best Policy and It work most of the times 👍
Ankita Katdare

Ankita Katdare

Computer Science
6 years ago
Lovesharma Honesty works. In fact, you could share your story of how you improved your scores. 👍
Interviewers love to see how you have progressed.

I guess you must have already seen this scene from the movie 3 Idiots, but go through it once again.
You are in a MUCH better position than him. 👍
vinay ageer

vinay ageer

Branch Unspecified
3 years ago
Hi sir am vinay ageer i got my pg 74% inter 59.6 degree 59 n 10th 62 so will i be hired by good companies

Hi sir i got less in my acedemics my pg percentage is 74 my degree n inter r 59 so wil i be hired by companies am i eligible

Hi sir am vinay ageer i have done my pg with 74% n my degree n inter are having 59% so will companies hire me my thought is do a bpo job for one year n then go to the development side
vinay ageer
will i be hired by good companies
Will you be hired by good companies? No one knows. Think about it this way: Why would a good company want to hire you? Can you think of an answer? What is it that separates you from the competition?

The marks and your academic performance will only matter at the time of you entering into the industry. The 'good companies' may not hire you at once, but if you gain some experience in other companies, build your skills-set and develop yourself; no company will ever want to reject you!

Got it?
Pranaya.r4

Pranaya.r4

Branch Unspecified
3 years ago
If you 12th score is less but Graduation score is more then go for some reason like: You were involved in college politics, College cricket team Captain or NSS etc. That brings positive image of you.

That is already proved. I am the example of that. Never tell like you were sick or family condition was not good.
Ankita Katdare

Ankita Katdare

Computer Science
3 years ago
Anyone here has any more interesting answers for this question? It's one of the most asked questions in HR interviews for jobs and at MBA interviews as well. Let's pool in our ideas.
srinivasdhotre

srinivasdhotre

Branch Unspecified
3 years ago
Sir, If interviewer ask me why your are low in engieering and in 10th and 12th ? How should i answer?
srinivasdhotre
Sir, If interviewer ask me why your are low in engieering and in 10th and 12th ? How should i answer?
Well, tell them the 'real' reason you scored less. What was the 'actual' reason in your case?
6 months ago

What is the best way to answer questions on your low academics?

- Posting this on behalf of @Achal 

I did my 10th from ICSE board and secured a decent 85%. I moved to Delhi for my IIT-JEE coaching and joined a non-attending school. Things didn't work out as I planned and I got an extremely low score of 67% in 12th exams. 

I joined an engineering college and completed my education with a percentage of 63.9%. Well, this score looks low on paper, but the university where I studied was such that the topper secured a percentage around 75%. Now, whoever sees my profile, the first question they ask is low academics. 

Sir, What do you suggest should be my approach in answering these kind of questions? I am currently pursuing MBA and I have a work-ex of 21 months in a MNC.

Achal Sangal

Achal Sangal

Branch Unspecified
6 months ago

Thanks @Kaustubh for posting!

Guys,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

6 months ago

@Achal - There's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this question. However, I'm curious to know if you were actually asked this question in any interview. In my opinion, the relevance of performance in engineering exams ceases to matter once you've gained sufficient experience.

With nearly two years of experience, I think you'd be asked more about your projects and work experience in the current company. 

However, if you're asked - you've to tell them the exact thing you wrote in your question. It's believable and legit. Go with it.

Addy smith

Addy smith

Computer Science
6 months ago

That is completely faulted of our education system, If there is no value for the percentage between 60% to 70% then why they giving this marks. They should be clear criteria for Pass or Fail, no scope of average marks. Because due to this system of marks there is a huge gap between skills and jobs. I don't think the student got less percentage is not a good worker in IT Company. So don't be afraid, have a Faith in yourself and go to achieve your goals.

Achal Sangal

Achal Sangal

Branch Unspecified
6 months ago

Thanks @Kaustubh & @Addy 
I do agree that this is a flaw in our education system but since it's already there we could just be mute spectators. Having said this I don't think even companies can do anything about it, they have to shortlist 50 students out of a batch of 500 so marks is the criteria by which they do mass elimination (I am saying this in spite of the fact that I am a victim). 

Thanks again @Kaustubh & yes I will let you know once I get through!!

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.