HR Case Study

In 2005, a passout of college Mr. Avin had started a software company and christened it as 'Softech', which had 15 employees and 25 systems. Avin's past studies of various IT companies helped him learn the nuances of this trade. 'Softech' bloomed during the IT boom era during the year 2005-06, the company kept thriving very well. By 2009, there were 300 employees working in one branches at Noida.

In India, the employability ratio is a mere 8: 100. There are around 2,00,000 engineering students remain jobless every year after completing their course. Since, Softech was relatively a small company; it did not attract the best of the students. Mediocre students used to apply. However, Softech preferred to recruit and select applicant's with at least a year of experience in their kitty.

At this juncture, HR team of Softech faced a peculier problem of resourcing. Most of the resumes, such as the experience certificates submitted, were faked.

The HR team revisited into the documents of old employees as well, they came to know that most of their current employees had also submitted fake documents. Candidates, who had applied, had also quoted false details about their work history, in their CV's. The HR team realized this was a common problem faced by the entire industry.

How do we stop fake resumes doing the rounds, was the question in everybody's mind.

The HR team alerted the chairman Mr. Avin about it. In an ad hoc meeting that was hurriedly convened, some suggested that the offenders must be flushed out, while others were afraid of finding replacements if that was done.

The company had a policy of selecting candidates with at least a year's experience. It was decided that the company's policy of selecting people with prior experience alone, be scrapped, save a few key designations.

1. Do you think that tampering the company's policy will solve the problem?
2. What are your suggestions to stop fake CV's doing the rounds?
3. What company should do with the old employees who submitted their fake documents?

-CB

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hmm.. Not a HR field person but still I never mind in giving my sugestions ๐Ÿ˜› So here I go.

crazyboy
    Yep, recruiting freshers or final year students(who are always willing to join any organization) and then arranging trainings for them (based on what your organization want to work on) can be a better solution rather than recruting 1+ year fake people. I wonder how employee who is not loyal to you at the time of joining can take your company to the path of success. Believe me these freshers(only few good ones ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) are very keen to learn new things, have good brains as well as are fresh to concepts. and most important they can prove to be loyal if you are loyal to them.

crazyboy
    If possible get any software or system kind of thing that evaluates the fakeness of any employee using updated data collected from around the world/country . [ Oh yes, can be a project idea for CS/IT students over here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ]

crazyboy
    3. What company should do with the old employees who submitted their fake documents?
    Have one to one with them, if they feel guilty for what they have done and ca give appropriate reasons and are a vital resource of the company , grant an excuse to them and yes keep on monitoring them for some time. Fire the rest. ๐Ÿ˜€

Debate starts..Yo !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's my take on this -

The original post does not mention the recruitment process. Assuming that the candidates were put to test (written tests, interviews, group discussions -- whatever) before they were recruited by the company, their fake CVs hold no value.

This could be a matter of ethics. It was company's mistake that they did not authenticate the CVs fore they offered the jobs to the applicants.

The company had a policy of selecting candidates with at least a year's experience. It was decided that the company's policy of selecting people with prior experience alone, be scrapped, save a few key designations.
    Doesn't look to be a good suggestion. The decision whether to hire experienced employees or fresh graduates entirely depends on the nature of work/projects company has.

Depends on the new policy company adapts.
    The company should believe in its own recruitment procedure.

If they are performing well - retain them. There's no point in firing them and recruit new people (who might have fake CVs as well!).
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla

Yes , Change is not bad for anything , so change the process such that freshers are also recruited.
    But instead of campus interviews the company should call for Off-Campus , as many people attend it and there is a chance to get the good people.
    Can also tie -up with few institutes which train freshers according to their requirements.

This is a big problem to all the companies , If a person submits fake CV and if he is recruited , my view is generally people who are experienced will face questions on thier experience but people ask mostly the general questions which anyone who can take a training out side in institute can answer .very few questions are asked on real - time experience .
    To Stop Fake CV's there is something called Back Ground Check in place which a third party company does so it would be helping in stopping those.
    As generally if an experienced person is selected he has some time to join the new Org..so in the mean time the back ground can be checked ๐Ÿ˜€

so if a person submitting Fake CV is selected , he is killing the opportunity for a genuine candidate so those guys should be Fired ๐Ÿ˜€
    According to his job role and his expertise , the salary may also be reduced for those people for whom they retain.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    so if a person submitting Fake CV is selected , he is killing the opportunity for a genuine candidate so those guys should be Fired :smile:
    According to his job role and his expertise , the salary may also be reduced for those people for whom they retain.
    Fully Agreeing with Biggi with his answer

@ ES - Firing the employees.. Ummm, There is companies loss also, in firing them. They have knowledge with them

Depends on the new policy company adapts.
    @ K - can you suggest some?

If possible get any software or system kind of thing that evaluates the fakeness of any employee using updated data collected from around the world/country . [ Oh yes, can be a project idea for CS/IT students over here :wink: ]
    @ Shalini - Any rough idea how to implement that? :wink:

-CB
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    A.Yes an alternate to this may be recruit freshers' from a reputy university/college and train them.As a trainee you needn't have to pay them much.Take a service bond from them.
    A.Same as 1

A.Check out the nature of fake if the intensity is too high then send them away depending on their performance.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    crazyboy
    @ Shalini - Any rough idea how to implement that? :wink:
    Ya sure,
    Analysis will be done first how HR people identify whether any employee has submitted fake records or not. I guess they do so by checking whether the mentioned company exists or not so in our software we can keep an updated list of companies that are not fake and then an online entry will be made through UI for all employees. If the mentioned company exists in our system, ok else firing.

This was just a rough idea. For detail description I need to type a lot. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Do you think preparing a exaustive list of companies is possible. In India only I guess there are around 7000 small (10 employees) and big (35 k) companes are there? Any more suggestions?

-CB
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    crazyboy
    Do you think preparing a exaustive list of companies is possible.
    Ya why not? When people can make softwares maintaining data for lacs of customers of a bank then why not this 7000 companies data?

By the way, can you tell how HR decide whether any employee has fake records?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    There are various parameters...

1. Person who takes the interview should catch that person is not genuine.
    2. Background verification check.
    3. Education Background verification check.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i am really interested in doing a project and am a beginner. theres no one to guide me though. i just finished my second year from jntu in electronics...
Your questions, comments, queries on the announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/24953-ce-awesome-thread-contest.html in this thread!
Alrighty, we almost ceased being crazy for a while. While we all brainstorm over our next big contest on CE, we've decided to launch a filler contest - ๐Ÿ˜CE Awesome...
While studying J2EE course I have learned some design patterns from my lecturer. It will be better if we learn Design patterns from experienced or J2EE experts. I have learned...
Hi all dear CS/IT engineering students, Are you all looking for a ready made project but don't know where to get it and how hmm. No need to worry, I...