How to use mobile as Tata Sky remote (Answered)

How to use mobile as Tata Sky remote (Answered)

Tata Sky has developed an android/ios mobile app that turns your phone into Tata Sky remote. You can perform all the actions via your mobile that you can do with your regular remote control. This is a small guide for everyone who's looking to try it out. The first step is to understand the overall setup. The Tata Sky remote communicates with your Set Top Box via IR (Infra-Red) signal. Most mobiles do not have IR port and hence you'll need a special accessary called 'MP3 Mobile Accessory' sold separately by Tata Sky (check update). It's a simple IR transmitter that fits into the standard headphone port (3.5mm) and converts your mobile phone into remote.

Download the Tata Sky App: First, you will have to download the tatasky app from Google Play store (link below). Once installed on your phone, attach your MP3 Mobile Accessory to your phone's headphone port. You are now good to go. Simply load the remote interface from your app and point the IR transmitter towards your set-top box, just like you do with the regular remote. Enjoy all the functions of your remote now via your mobile.

Pro Tip: Note that the IR signal depends on the audio signal of your phone and it's recommended that for the best performance, keep the volume level of your phone to maximum.

Update: Tata Sky has mentioned that they're developing an updated version of the App for iOS and Android platforms which will no longer require the MP3 accessory. It's likely that they're connecting the channel menu to the central server to which the app will connect. Once you keep your phone's data connection on, the signals from your mobile will be directly sent to the server and then to your set-top box wirelessly, eliminating the need of a special accessory.

If anyone of you is using their android mobile as remote with this accessory, please let me know how well it functions. The user reviews on the official app page are pretty bad and TataSky has discontinued the separate sale of the MP3 accessary.

Update: Tata Sky is now Tata Play

Tata Sky aka Tata Play has launched a new mobile app for App Store (iPhone) and Google Play (Android) that allows you to manage your entire Tata Play account and also control your Set Top Box (STB) using mobile phone.

The app lets you view your shows anytime anywhere on the mobile device. You can even update the language settings and interact with your STB using voice commands.

The mobile app also has buttons like your TV remote to let you control programs and channels. It also lets you set reminders on your TV. Download the app from: https://www.tataplay.com/dth/mobile-app-download

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tried running this app on my Android phone yesterday. It was a 22.5 MB Download.

The app was shutting down automatically. Was trying to use the 'EveryWhere TV' feature but it just didn't work. Has anyone tried using the app?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If anyone is looking for it, here's the official TATA Sky Remote User Guide -
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just in case if anyone's looking for a mobile app to be used as remote for Tata Sky, here you go:

1. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. Tata Sky is now Tata Play - Apps on Google Play

Note: I'm a Tata Sky user but warn you that their services are p.a.t.h.e.t.i.c. I've heard the same opinion about almost every other DTH operator in India. So basically we are all screwed! 😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I tried installing the Tata Sky App for Android on my mobile and uninstalled it within a day. I strongly feel that the app isn't ready yet. Looking forward to experiences of others wanting to use their mobile as remote for Tata Sky.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I just checked the Tata Sky Mobile app for my android phone. The reviews are surprisingly TOO bad. Thousands have given it a 1 star rating. I went ahead and installed it anyway just to be sure. The layout is not good at all. The app started crashing when I clicked on the menu. I could not check the subscribed channels on my app. I decided to keep it so that I'd have to use the recharge function, but it turns out that functionality too has very poor reviews.
  • lone_ligent
    lone_ligent
    Change channels
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    lone_ligent
    Change channels
    I think we can now change channels on the Tata Sky Remote app running on a smartphone as well. Not sure though. Can someone confirm?
  • Nayeem Abdul
    Nayeem Abdul

I lost the remote control tata sky DTH so I need help to use my iPhone mobile to on my TV KINDLY help me out 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - have you tried downloading the app on your iPhone: #-Link-Snipped-# ? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Say ta ta to Tata app.

My solution (put in many years back): Stop watching TV. Has worked for me non stop.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mozilla & Samsung have joined hands to develop 'Servo' - a new web browser engine from ground up. In a blog post, Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, said that their...
Hlw. This is Subrata Frm International Islamic University Chittagong, Bangladesh. I've joined her to know mny things i didn't know yet and share something i knew yet.
Hi everybody, How are you? I am new here and I am happy to join here.
HIII EVERYONE, this is MOHAMMED ABDUL QUDDUS (a.k.a AATIF) a civil engineering final year student from hyderabad......I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND NEED HELP FROM ALL THE MEMBERS OF...
hi i need to create pdf for my data from orcle database using java. i am using following java coding import java.io.*; import java.sql.*; import jpack.Database; import com.itextpdf.text.Document; import com.itextpdf.text.Paragraph;...