How to store Hydrogen in small space?

CEans lets discuss about the problem of storage of hydrogen which 1kg of hydrgen takes 11.2 m^3 of space(approx.).
Please share your views, ideas (also those vague and crazy ones).

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    I don't have an answer for this but can't wait to see other's ideas.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    frodo.rok, I LOVE your icon. . . I just thought I would throw that in there.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Space tanks? connected with pipes to small tanks on earth as buffers, but don't know connection speed I mean the way Hydrogen would move up to the space tank & it's speed.
  • patriotgordon
    patriotgordon
    lithium-6 deuteride
  • patriotgordon
    patriotgordon
    particle accelarator
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    You need to compress it. Te higher the pressure the lower the volume you require. 11m3 for 1kg is at STP. You would definitely not store it under these conditions as the cost of the vessel would be greater than the cost of the gas 😀
  • sourabh.mahawar
    sourabh.mahawar
    department of energy US is working on a project actively regarding using hydrogen as an energy carrier for future,and hydrogen storage is the most important prospect of this,several methords are proposed regarding h2 storage but the most promising one is storing h2 in metal hydrides,anybdy need information can contact at
    and guys plz dont give silly answers..
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Commercial hydride vessels operate at 10 bar. Desorption is achieved by pressure swing 😀
  • billyy2288
    billyy2288
    KINETIC_JOULES
    frodo.rok, I LOVE your icon. . . I just thought I would throw that in there.
    I also think so.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Why do you think it can't be stored in a small space?
    Can't it be compressed?
  • martincrow
    martincrow
    No idea about this thing.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Hydrogen is a permanent gas. Can be compressed to any extent. Cost of compressing and storage can be high. A lot of research is going into reversible absorption.
    Hydrogen Storage : DOE Hydrogen Program
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I wanna store it in ice. just like methane can be stored in it. in the north and in the south, there are places (I mean the arctic and the antarctic) where ice can exist naturally and which are practically wastelands. I realize this sounds sorta crazy. I back it up with two links.

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

wheeeee heeeeee
  • jaxrobinson
    jaxrobinson
    Oh very difficult to answer..😔
  • Esha Marathe
    Esha Marathe
    The nanotubes can condense and safely store high volumes of hydrogen in a small space
  • Syed Mosa Raza
    Syed Mosa Raza
    by compression... v can also do this by creating a vacuum in d vessel...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Another update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Alloyau
    Alloyau
    If you compress hydrogen above a certain point it will spontaneously explode. It is a very risky game. Check out Bob Lazars website unitednucleardotcom, his product is a metal tube you fill with hydrogen under no pressure. The tube is made of a metal that is able to suck up hydrogen the same way a sponge sucks up water. When heating the metal to a point below 60 degrees celsius the metal releases the hydrogen accordig to Bob. His car runs only on hydrogen and he claims there is aboslutely no risk for explosion.
  • Alloyau
    Alloyau
    I have contacted the administrator to delete my sentence regarding spontenous explosion of hydrogen under pressure, my misstake.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Alloyau
    I have contacted the administrator to delete my sentence regarding spontenous explosion of hydrogen under pressure, my misstake.
    That is right. What does happen is that when highly compressed hydrogen is suddenly released into air auto ignition can happen.

Spontaneous Ignition of Pressurized Releases of Hydrogen and Natural Gas into Air​

(Frederick L. Dryer, Marcos Chaos, Zhenwei Zhao, Jeffrey N. Stein, Jeffrey Y. Alpert, and Christopher J. Homer
    Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ)

Abstract: This paper demonstrates the ‘‘spontaneous ignition’’ (autoignition=inflammation and sustained diffusive combustion) from sudden compressed
    hydrogen releases that is not well documented in the present literature, for which
    little fundamental explanation, discussion or research foundation exists, and
    which is apparently not encompassed in recent formulations of safety codes
    and standards for piping, storage, and use of high pressure compressed gas systems handling hydrogen. Accidental or intended, rapid failure of a pressure
    boundary separating sufficiently compressed hydrogen from air can result in
    multi-dimensional transient flows involving shock formation, reflection, and
    interactions such that reactant mixtures are rapidly formed and achieve chemical
    ignition, inflammation, and transition to turbulent jet diffusive combustion, fed
    by the continuing discharge of hydrogen. Both experiments and simple transient
    shock theory along with chemical kinetic ignition calculations are used to support
    interpretation of observations and qualitatively identify controlling gas properties
    and geometrical parameters. Although the phenomenon is demonstrated for pressurized hydrogen burst disk failures with different internal flow geometries, similar phenomena apparently do not necessarily occur for sudden boundary failures
    of storage vessel or transmission piping into open air that have no downstream
    obstruction. However, subsequent reflection of the resulting transient shock from
    surrounding surfaces through mixing layers of hydrogen and air may have the potential for producing ignition and continuing combustion. Much more experimental and computational work is required to quantitatively determine the envelope of parameter combinations that mitigate or enhance spontaneous ignition
    characteristics of compressed hydrogen as a result of sudden release, particularly
    if hydrogen is to become a major energy carrier interfaced with consumer use.
    Similar considerations for compressed methane, for mixtures of light hydrocarbons and methane (simulating natural gas), and for larger carbon number hydrocarbons show similar autoignition phenomena may occur with highly compressed
    methane or natural gas, but are unlikely with higher carbon number cases, unless
    the compressed source and=or surrounding air is sufficiently pre-heated above
    ambient temperature. Spontaneous ignition of compressed hydrocarbon gases is
    also generally less likely, given the much lower turbulent blow-off velocity of
    hydrocarbons in comparison to that for hydrogen.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've the feeling that all our technology, if ever we have ever had valuable one, is going down the sink. This is of many reasons I'd like to discuss with...
CEans, How many of you know that Microsoft Research has launched World Wide Telescope software? I guess its worth a try [only if your system supports it] Here's what Microsoft...
All thinkers and theoreticians, all those hu wanna feel the theory of everything, interested in Fundamental physics, hu marvel at the quantization of time.....DO READ IT.
Where can I find a (credible) ranking of online MBA programs?
hye guys.. since my next semester i will be participate in robotic competition and i need to do some presentation about this robotics..can somebody explain to me ==overview of the...