View Feed
group-icon
Civil + Structural Engineers
Community of Civil and Structural Engineers to discuss all concepts, topics, questions and doubts.
444 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

How to start career in quantity surveying?

How should I start my career in quantity surveying. I am eagerly looking for a job in quantity surveying field but not getting any job.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 28, 2019

Welcome to CE, @Mrinal Singh . It's impossible to answer your question without knowing some background information about you. Are you an engineering student or an experienced professional looking to switch job? 

Also, is your issue related to searching for job OR preparing for the job? Are there any specific reasons that you were not able to find job; like for example, you received interview calls but got rejected OR you are not able to get through the aptitude tests / technical round / HR round etc.?

I request you to share as much information you can about your current situation so that it is easier for us to offer help. All the best!

Sir, @Kaustubh Katdare I am 2018 passout graduate, After that I started doing preparation for my govt. exam. Then from March 2019 I joined a bridge re-habilation company and there I was not getting interest towards my work, so I left it last month#7TH August.

Now I feel Quantity Surveying will be the good field to get start my career.But its aprrox 2 months and I just get only 2 interviews calls and there i got rejection.

I want to know how to search for this jobs being 6 months of experience in site work.or as a fresher. I am not getting any interview call or any information so that I can apply for this post. or any suggestions to do preparation / or some courses for this job?

Hello Mrinal, I guess doing a prep course is not such a bad idea. I am sure there are 30-45 day courses in your area that will give you some kind of certification for being a Quantity Surveyor Professional. BTW, there are full-time PG courses too, that will need 2 years of dedicated efforts. See if that interests you as well. If so, I can put up college names and links below.

Apart from that, from what I've heard from friends, here are the key skills you need to know and put on your resume -

1. Tools like AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel and Estimation softwares (Road Estimator, MX Roads , CCS Candy , CostX)
  2. QS also has to book the data in ERP software. For instance: SAP MM Module

You should also check the courses that are offered in universities/ online courses and check their 'syllabus'. See if any of those skills and tools are missing on your resume. 

Share this content on your social channels -