How to share usb data card internet on LAN.

"Our institute own a firewall (fortinet 200B) that need unrestricted internet line from ISP to validate it's license. But our ISP disabled general traffic such as ping 8.8.8.8. So firewall do not function well without license. Firewall supplier blaim ISP for implemented netting on public ip for this misbehaving of firewall"

As per policy we can not subscribe other internet that fulfil firewall's requirements but have USB dongle that can be used solely for firewall update.

My thought is to connect usb data card to a pc, bridging that internet to nic and connect firewall's one port with this pc. Get firewall configured with this extra but completely open internet.

Is it possible at all??

Any expert comments??

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    vmax
    "Our institute own a firewall (fortinet 200B) that need unrestricted internet line from ISP to validate it's license. But our ISP disabled general traffic such as ping 8.8.8.8. So firewall do not function well without license. Firewall supplier blaim ISP for implemented netting on public ip for this misbehaving of firewall"

As per policy we can not subscribe other internet that fulfil firewall's requirements but have USB dongle that can be used solely for firewall update.

My thought is to connect usb data card to a pc, bridging that internet to nic and connect firewall's one port with this pc. Get firewall configured with this extra but completely open internet.

Is it possible at all??

Any expert comments??
    I know this post is old but its worth to discuss. Weird than an ISP would even want to block ICMP traffic AND block 8.8.8.8 DNS resolution. Anyway, can't the firewall use the ISP's DNS server IP to resolve the licence update servers? Also, why would the firewall supplier blame the NAT'ing of WAN IP? That also shouldn't be an issue.

To answer your specific question, yes, it is possible for the firewall to connect to the usb data card via the NIC by bridging it. Is the PC using Windows?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Computer Science fresher (B.E. Computer - 2015). I want to make career in software development or web development. I want to work on multiple technologies rather than one,...
How broadcast packets get forwarded if router drops it??
Hello Sir My name is Shafeeda Yashmin and i have completed BE in Information Science with 62% from KVG College of Engineering , Sullia. I passed out in 2015 and...
Humans want to set foot on Mars and getting their is not at all easy. One of the biggest challenges in getting to the Mars is the distance between Earth...
Every electrical and electronics engineer loves to play with electromagnets. I remember I had created a small electromagnet myself using the AA batteries and a copper wire; and was astonished...