How to set OS selection timeout in GRUB?

I hope I titled the post appropriately ๐Ÿ˜€. I only get 4 seconds to select the OS on my machine.

I know that there's a setting which allows me to set the time to 15 seconds. Please tell me what/where is the setting ๐Ÿ˜’ ?

-The Big K-

p.s: The question is 'too basic' (??). I've not yet jumped out of Windows, you see ๐Ÿ˜‰

Replies

• desijays
    desijays
    okay, you never mentioned what distro you are using. But i'll presume you are using either an RPM based or DEB based distro.

for once stay at the computer while booting and within four seconds log into the linux OS.

After you are logged in, search for a file called /boot/grub/grub.conf (older versions) or /boot/grub/menu.lst (newer version). Either one of them are just plain normal text files. Open the file with a normal text editor (vi, emacs or alike).

Scroll down a bit. You will see an entry that says something like "timeout" and a few tabs away you will see a number. The number is the parameter in seconds. Change that parameter to the number of seconds you want.

I think your problem must be solved by now. ๐Ÿ˜€

peace
  • pad
    pad
    and then dont forget to run

#grub-install

this will actually make the changes effective
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks desijays & pad ๐Ÿ˜€

The problem has been solved

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, how about posting tutorials on various topics related to electrical engineering? Otherwise, we may start problem solving threads over here? Any thoughts?
I have questions for Mining & Metallurgy engineers. Is there anyone on CrazyEngineers? Jerry
Try it to believe it! This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable. .. At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened! So Try it now ,...
Hi CEans! Brian Huyser, founder of Symmetric Inc., USA and the man behind One Billion Bulbs talked to Crazy Engineers about his project. Here is your chance to shout your...
I recommend the book 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse. I'd appreciate if anyone who has read this books puts his or her thoughts in this discussion thread. Jerry