1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

How to score good marks in data structures?

Question asked by Karshil Sheth in #ExamPrep on Dec 30, 2019
Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Dec 30, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I am very weak at this subject and i really need to get good marks to maintain my result. So explain which algorithms should I do first so that I can get good marks in this subject?

Posted in: #ExamPrep
Durgesh Srivastava
Durgesh Srivastava · Dec 30, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

For the data structures  firstly, you learn about what is the course or syllabus of data structures.

Then learn about small and very important things like 

complexities(time and space)

asymptotatic notations

Array , 

Linklist , 

searching ,

sorting. 

then understand the algorithm of this.. Algorithm is very important part of Data structures.

Infact Overall Data structures based on Algorithm only.. Data structures is very important subject of CSE from placement point of view also.

If you understand small small things then it is easy to understood data structures.

Teja Reddy
Teja Reddy · Jan 1, 2020
Rank C3 - EXPERT

First start understanding the logic of the algorithm if you don't understand try it by yourself and compare the results with algorithm.

I recommend you to trace for every algorithm so that you'll have better idea about how the algorithm is working.

If you understand the algorithms clearly then you don't need to mug up eventually you'll score well in the subject.

bharath kumar
bharath kumar · Jan 17, 2020
Rank D3 - MASTER

Order in which you have to learn datastructures and algorithms:

1)Array datastructure.

2)Linear search algorithm and Binary search algorithm.

3)Stack and queue data structure

4)Implement expression evaluation algorithms using Stack (In this step you will master how and when to use stack).

5)Tree datastructure(Types of trees,properties of different trees)

6)Tree travesral algorithms:Dfs and bfs  (Dfs and bfs are implemented using stack and queue,as by this time you would have a good knowledge in stacks and queues(When to use and how to use))

Above mentioned algorithms use linear datastructure(array)

Now the same algorithms can be implemented using Nonlinear datastructure called linked lists

7)Single linked list(Insertion,deletion,travesral)

8)Double linked list(Insertion,deletion.traversal)

Now you have all the basic knowledge of Datastructures and algorithms.With these tools you can learn any algorithm.

Happy learning!

Tip to master Algorithms:Trace every algorithm step by step so that you will undesrtand the internal logic behind it.

Keerthana Velishala
Keerthana Velishala · Jan 17, 2020
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Data structures is the important subject in the view of placements. There is no such IT company which will not ask about data structures. So I suggest you to practice more like you can watch videos, Google that algorithms or else you can get explanation from your colleagues or friends.

Main topics in data structures are

Sorting algorithms

Arrays

Linked lists

Searching

Files

Algorithms on queues and stacks

supriya VN gowda
supriya VN gowda · Feb 29, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

You can start learning data structures from knowing about structures concept first. Then learn about stacks and queue implementations. In queues you should know about circular queue and queue and difference between both implementations. 

Linked list( double linked list is more important question asked in any exams or placements). To know about linked list you should try to trace given problem line by line for better understanding. 

Linear search and binary search implementations along with examples. 

Sorting algorithms like quick sort, merge sort are repeatedly asked questions in any exams. 

Tree implementations and terms used in trees along with its definitions. Height of the tree, length of the tree, node definitions. Avl trees and B tree implementations. Post order, preorder, in order for the given set of numbers. 

Graphs and terminologies of graph. 

Array and list differences. 

Postfix, prefix and infix expression solving. 

Data structures is important subject you to learn as a computer science student because many questions in any placement interviews and competitive exams like GATE and other exams ask questions from data structures. 

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up