How to save plane from lightning

Recently I was traveling in a domestic air carrier. Weather was thunderous, and there was lightning was happening all around. I was just wondering that what if a high lightning will hit the plane??

Our plane landed safely and after reaching home in my free time first thing I searched on Google was can lightning harm any structure? Answer was Yes ! it has done that in past.

Next was had it happen to hit any flying plane, answer was again Yes !

I didn't find any instance that says that it had damaged a flying plane. I tried to search the technology to save planes from lightning. Do you have any clue what and how planes are saved from thunderous lightning??

-CG

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    We know that the amount of electric field inside a conductor is zero And so this rule protects the passengers in the airbus

They don't get electrocuted but they get a visual treat of natures fury

PS: Lightning is not visible if you are above the cloud line Only if you are anywhere near it the chance of lightning striking increases
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no inherent danger in this. Almost every commercial aircraft gets hit once a year. Other than not flying nothing can be done, unless making the whole plane using an insulator perhaps.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

JJ11-Lightning-Protection-2-FLASH
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Conqueror
    PS: Lightning is not visible if you are above the cloud line Only if you are anywhere near it the chance of lightning striking increases
    Wrong assumption 👀
    We were flying wellll above cloud line and I could see the lightning for more than 10 minutes.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey mate cloud line is about 18 to 30 Km above the earth surface

Airbus doesn't fly at these heights But clouds are not formed at these heights Always and it does not need to be really that cloudy for it to have a thunderstorm

So I am not worng But I did not explain well
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    there are lightning spikes on the wing of every aircraft at the trailing edge to prevent that 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wing and a Prayer (also known as The Story of Carrier X) is a black-and-white 1944 war film about the heroic crew of an American carrier in the desperate early...
Members: lovebox, Conqueror, vishalj, A.V.Ramani, HARSH_92, ankit.412, ssbaghel, vibhuti sharma, Pratik Sanjiv, guptas.sneha, shivangi16, Vishal0203, CrazyGirl, crazyboy, simplycoder, n@v-in, ianoop, lal, rkvasan68, Srijan Mehrotra, VIJAYSY, goyal420 Online now: 913 (members:...
I have undergone an industrial visit to Sugar industry. In Sulphitation area ( In sugar industry), Sugar juice is mixed with SO2 gas. But if it is mixed directly, the...
can you help me please to understand how can I make eye tracking or EEG and How can I make it move my chair to all directions ??
Opensource softwares are dominating the world, like it or not. The way Opensource is moving ahead, seems like every sector will be Opensource soon. There was ProjectVGA back then, for...