How to prepare for campus placements: Preparation Tips & Tricks

The campus placements season will start in the next few weeks and I hope all the CEans who're eligible for campus placements; the ones who are in third / final year have chalked out a plan to prepare for the placements. This placements season is going to be a bit tighter than the previous seasons given the current economic situations and the general slow-down in hiring. Only the best of the best will have the chance at grabbing the jobs and that means, the ones who start preparing earlier will be ahead of the competition.

Oi0Z-prepare-campus-placements.png

Tip: If you like the tips presented here, do not forget to share them with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus etc. There are relevant buttons at the bottom of this article.

I decided to jot down the general preparation tips & tricks that will help you crack the 2013 placements season. The preparation will start with some survey -

1. Which companies visit your college / university for placements? (Viz. Infosys, TCS, Cognizant, ABB, L&T and so on)

2. What are the recruitment procedures for each of the companies?

3. What is the general intake? For example, there are colleges where the big IT companies recruit in hundreds! This will help you decide the level of competition you're likely to face.

4. What is the eligibility criteria? This is very important because it will help you eliminate the companies you should be preparing for.

With all of the above information at your disposal, you may start your entire prepwork in following manner -

1. Back To The Roots: A lot of candidates tend to ignore this, but the most important thing in your selection process is going to be your knowledge of engineering topics - that you've studied over the last 2-3 years. All of your efforts will go waste if you lack the basic knowledge of the subjects. Forget mugging up and reproducing - something that you're used to do for the exams. Instead, revise all the subjects 'for yourself'!

2. Pick Your Favorite Engineering Subject / Topic: Interviewers make their job easier by asking you for your favorite engineering subject. Now, you should really be very well prepared to handle this question. Once you tell the interviewers your favorite topic; expect a few questions related to it. It's natural that you should be prepared to answer questions on your favorite engineering subject or topic. If you haven't already decided, it'd be worth going back to all the topics and find out the one which you found the most interesting.

3. Aptitude Tests : This is where the first eliminations will begin - the aptitude tests. Lot of engineering students fear the aptitude tests. But the fact is that there's nothing to worry about because it's *VERY EASY* to crack aptitude tests. All it takes it practice! Yep! You read that right. Just keep on practicing and in a month or two - you will solve all the aptitude questions like a pro. Don't expect to master the aptitude skills in just a week or two. At least 1.5-2 months is the minimum required time.

One thing you can definitely do is skip the harder topics; like for most of the students, questions on permutations and combinations, probability are difficult. So skip them! But at the same time, make sure you're very good at cracking all the other types of questions. You can always discuss questions and quick way to solve aptitude questions with our fellow CEans here.

4. Written & Spoken English: Like it or not; but the Indian job markets demand people who can speak and write correct English. Unfortunately - very few people pay attention to their communication skills. If you think you need to sharpen your English speaking / writing skills; then NOW is the time to do it. It's going to help you in your entire career. Trust me, a lot of people unnecessarily get rejected because they can't communicate or express themselves.

5. Interview (Technical) : If you're good at engineering topics (tip #1), then cracking the technical interview won't be a problem. There are several tips here on CE that will help you crack the technical interviews. It's better to ask your doubts in our technical discussion sections ( no matter how basic they are) and get your ideas clear.

6. Interview (HR): If you think that clearing apti and technical rounds ensures that you're selected, the wait a minute - many times, overconfident candidates get rejected in HR interviews - something that shouldn't happen to you. So take the HR interviews seriously!

But that doesn't mean you should have a serious expression on your face. All you're expected in an HR interview is to be yourself, have a smiling face, don't be over confident and be excited about the things. Don't overdo anything!

That said, if you have any questions or doubts about cracking the campus recruitments season; post them below. Wish you all the best!

Update: It's been a long time since I wrote this article. The tips and tricks for campus placements preparations more or less remain the same. The recruitment methodologies have changed, but the recruiters still evaluate candidates on their past performance. I'll update this with one more, very important tip -

7. Build Your Skills Showcase Portfolio: When there are thousands of other engineering students preparing for the same job that you are preparing for, your chances of getting selected are going to go down. How do you stand out from the competition? Well, the answer is simple -

"Do something others aren't doing"

That is, have something that others don't have. If you are looking for an IT job; why not work on a few pet software development projects on your own and list them on your resume? For example, you could develop a very simple project or projects - like a backup manager, an android or iOS app or a perl script that does something cool - and add it in your resume? When you appear for interview, do not forget to bring the interviewer's attention to your projects. I'm sure they'll be more impressed to see that you've gone beyond academics and done something on your own.

If you are from non-IT background, add something to your resume that shows that you are doing something more. It could be a research or observation about something that you've studied, some practical study or research or a mechanical design, a computer model, a robot, a drone something like that.

If you have questions about how to do this; you can always ask your questions below. Wishing you all the best for your upcoming campus placements.

Replies

• aachus
    aachus
    sir ..for some companies there is a video synthesis test ..how to crack that ??
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This post is so relevant. I am going to pin it at the top of this section.
    Good reference guide for freshers who are clueless about campus placement preparation.

To answer the question by #-Link-Snipped-# above, please refer: How to Crack Video Synthesis Test? - Tips and Tricks
  • rajendra singh sisodiya
    rajendra singh sisodiya
    Sir, in many private institute mechanical companies not visit why
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rajendra singh sisodiya
    Sir, in many private institute mechanical companies not visit why
    I guess mechanical engineering companies do visit reputed institutes. I've heard many companies have been tying up with institutes that offer CAD / CAM courses.

I've seen a trend among many companies to recruit only from well known colleges; especially the ones where their current employees graduated from.
  • piyush sikka
    piyush sikka
    sir/mam ! how should i prepare for aptitude tests, please give me a detailed answer about this, like what and where should i refer ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CrazyEngineers. Somehow your query got missed.

Since your engineering discipline is IT, you might have to face two tests.
    1. General Aptitude Test
    2. Technical Aptitude Test

In most companies visiting campus for placements, there will multiple choice question based test for both.

1. General Aptitude Test.

This is where you will be asked questions based on: Basic Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, Verbal reasoning etc. Now, since we are talking of generic preparation for all companies, we have to cover a lot of ground to be ready to face the test of any company.

For years together, engineering students have been using the book called Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Aggarwal for preparing for aptitude tests and they are not wrong.
    The reason being there's ample practice in one book and you get to solve questions from every domain. There are solutions at the end of the book so if you get stuck somewhere you can always refer to that. However, a lot of times you will find that the questions are repeated by changing the names/values. So, always refer this book at the beginning of your preparations and see how much of it you can solve correctly and which areas need improvement. Carefully assess your own performance.

Once you have done that, go for the second book called How to prepare for quantitative aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma. This is one of the most popular books used by CAT aspirants and if compare the level of questions in this book with that in the previous, you will find that it is a notch higher.
    The style and genre of questions is more complex and if you practice with these questions, I am pretty sure that you can crack most aptitude tests with ease. The exercise questions in this book are divided into three difficult levels. First solve the first two levels and only then go for the third one.

2. Technical Aptitude Test.

This is the area where things get a little tricky. If you have been paying attention to the subjects taught during 2nd and 3rd year of your engineering curriculum, only then can this be an easy ride for you. If not, it's never too start preparing from the basics.

Start with C programming Language. Use the reference book in your curriculum to read the book from end-to-end and solve whatever practice questions are given at the end of the chapters.
    Also, Here's a free e-book as well: #-Link-Snipped-#

Go to Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts. Brush up your skills in that. Know every sub-topic and how it is implemented.

Read the book called Operating System Concepts by Avi Silberschatz, Peter Baer Galvin and Greg Gagne (Ask for Operating System by Galvin) and understand every concept.
    (Note: This will come in handy for both the test and the subsequent interview)

Next, go for Database Management System. Here you can refer any one of the following books:

1. Database System Concepts - Henry Korth, S.Sudarshan and Abraham Silberschatz.
    2. Database Systems by Garcia-Molina/Ullman/Wisdom

That's it.

This is how you prepare for campus placement aptitude tests. Keep reading different forums for programming related questions and know your basics very well.

All the best.
  • Arghyadeep Sarkar
    Arghyadeep Sarkar
    @#-Link-Snipped-# , hello mam, will it be better if i just go for quantitative aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma or will i have to go with Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Aggarwa simultaneously..??
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Arghyadeep Sarkar
    @#-Link-Snipped-# , hello mam, will it be better if i just go for quantitative aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma or will i have to go with Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Aggarwa simultaneously..??
    R.S. Aggrawal's questions are easier to solve comparatively. If you have a lot of time in your hand, start with R.S. and then go to Arun Sharma. Else, simply do Arun Sharma start to end.
  • Mrunal upadhye
    Mrunal upadhye
    How should i prepare aptitute for tcs. Aptitude ques of tcs are kind of hard one. Really not getting it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mrunal upadhye
    How should i prepare aptitute for tcs. Aptitude ques of tcs are kind of hard one. Really not getting it.
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sorry for not addressing your query earlier. Somehow it got missed.
    Aptitude tests in TCS are the same as any other company. In fact, you can check the different past year question papers available on various sites and solve them. Lots of solving material is available on the internet along with correct answers. Solve, verify and move on. Do this with at least 100 questions of different categories of aptitude test.
    Remember that - Aptitude tests are a means for the company to filter out the below-average crowd and it is not as tough as your school scholarship exam.
    They want you to score more than the average crowd.

TCS is famous for recruiting hundreds of students from the same college in one go. So, the chances of you clearing the aptitude test and being selected for the interview are pretty high.

There's no need to panic and you simply need to focus on being proficient in basic mathematics and have a problem solving approach. Since you are an electronics student, you are not even expected to know how to write code. If you do know, that's a big bonus. Do read as much as possible about C and understand how algorithms work. If you can show the interviewer that you are good at building logic for a given problem statement, chances are high that they'll select you. All the best for preparations.
    If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
  • Bhavna k
    Bhavna k

Due to health issues I did'nt sit in my college placements and the companies that visited the college was not of my interest so what do I do now? I want an android development job? I have completed my B.tech in comp sci.in 2015.

• PRIYANKA SAHU
    PRIYANKA SAHU
    I am a final year student of Computer Science and Engineering Department. This is the year for my placement.Till now I have appeared for two in campus placements. But i was out in first round itself.I am unable to get anything and i do not have any subject in my mind that i am confident about. I am feeling low. How to develop myself as soon as possible for placement ? Sir, I am eagerly waiting for your response.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - There are two things you must do -
    1. Figure out the reasons you got out of the process in the first round itself. Was it the aptitude test that you couldn't crack? Or something else? Focus your attention on ensuring that you can crack the aptitude tests.
    2. You don't have to have a favorite subject; but that's something most of the Interviewers will ask about in the interview. If you can prepare all the important subjects well and get some experience in coding (through your own projects) then I'm sure cracking the technical rounds of interview is going to be easy for you.
    Lastly, though it's natural to feel low; remember that the world won't end if you don't get placed by the time you finish engineering studies. Keep trying and you will find your dream job. I was without job for one full year after my graduation and I had no clue what I was going to do. I just prepared myself and kept trying and then, grabbed the first opportunity that came my way. 😁

All the best!
  • PRIYANKA SAHU
    PRIYANKA SAHU
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# Sir for your words😀. So in my next placement campus I should be concentrating more on my written test as it includes both Aptitude and Technical questions. Can you tell me the topics for Aptitude test that I should emphasize more. And Sir if the interviewer asks about the favoruite subject (or anything)that one does not have, what should be the reply??? 😨
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PRIYANKASAHU
    But Sir if the interviewer asks about the favoruite subject (or anything), what should be the reply??? 😨
    We've got your covered: Your Favorite Subject: Most Commonly Asked Question In Interview

The idea is to focus more on the stuff that's causing failure and eliminate it. Take every placement opportunity as an 'experience' and enjoy it with keep, cool mind. Whether you get placed or not isn't in your hands. But enjoying the whole placements experience is definitely in your hand and you shouldn't mess it up.
  • pratik pandey61
    pratik pandey61
    i have minimum to revise all the subject thoroughly . please give me some tips or tecnic to do the best
  • silver123
    silver123
    The following are some useful tips for students to prepare for their campus placements.
    1. Prepare A Resume
    2. Be Confident
    3. Group Discussion
    4. Aptitude Test
    5. Written & Spoken English
    6. Technical Interview
    7. HR Interview
  • Harekrishna biswal
    Harekrishna biswal
    what is the best book for practice google placement test
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    pratik pandey61
    i have minimum to revise all the subject thoroughly . please give me some tips or tecnic to do the best
    I guess you want to ask how to revise all subjects thoroughly in minimum time.
    Here are the tips I think you might find useful -

1. Get up really early instead of staying up late. This works if you have had a sound sleep at night.
    2. Spend half an hour working out what topics you need to cover and allotting chunks of time for each bit.
    3. Keep a sheet ready of the toughest questions from past papers.
    4. Re-read your lecture notes and highlight
    5. Condense the information to the bare minimums. Since Indian exams are mostly theoretical or MCQs you need to know the theme, and you can expand it to full answer during paper or solve in your mind to mark the correct choice.
    As a thumb rule: Condense each topic's data (collected from notes, textbooks, slides, videos etc.) into one paragraph or 5 simple sentences.

I hope you find this information useful.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Harekrishna biswal
    what is the best book for practice google placement test
    Best books for Google's placement preparation may include (but not limited to) these:
    1. Algorithms by Sanjoy Dasgupta.
    2. Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen
    3. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ by Adam Drozdek
    4. Puzzles for Programmers and Pros - By Dennis Shasha
    5. Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Interview Questions and Solutions - by Gayle Laakmann
    6. Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job - By John Mongan (Author), Noah Kindler (Author), Eric GiguÃ..re
    7. Programming Pearls - By Jon Bentley
  • Pritam Sadhu
    Pritam Sadhu
    First of all thanks for an awesome post .
    But I need solution of another problem.

I am now persuing B.Tech in Information Technology (3rd year).
    My 12th standard board was non-english medium.So I am really poor in english like grammar , word vocabulary etc.
    In last campusing I observed that many really good students were rejected because of English and I dont want to happen the same thing with me.

My question is in this situation how can I improve my spoken and written english power ?😭😭😭
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    PRITAM SADHU
    My question is in this situation how can I improve my spoken and written english power ?😭😭😭
    The only way to do that is by "reading". If you ask me, from the post that you've written here, I'd say you really are better than most at composing grammatically correct English sentences. So, you don't really have to work hard on written English skills. When it comes to 'spoken' English skills. There are only two things that will help you a lot - Reading and Speaking.

How reading helps is - It builds your vocabulary. Not only do you get to know new words, but you also know how, when & where to use them. You understand the usage of words in every context.
    How speaking helps is - It gives you the confidence with the pronunciation of words. You can get along with a friend and discuss your day or your plans in English. Spend at least 10 minutes each day conversing only in English. Think about the kind of words you use and how you can use them better.

If you are a fan of movies or TV shows, there's great stuff out there you can listen. Listening helps a lot in using the perfect tone in your voice and you can gather as much information as you can about different styles of speaking. This helps in forming your own sentences without thinking much.

My personal experience says that - when I watch a English movie or read an English novel, my thoughts increasingly become aligned to using English. So, when I want to express something, the first words that come to my mind are English.

If you are fearsome about solving English language questions in the campus prepare test, your best chance for improving is by taking "mock tests". There are various online sources that let you take free mock English aptitude tests. Do check that.
  • Manoj Dhami
    Manoj Dhami
    sir/mam ! I'm electrical student.how should i prepare for aptitude tests, please give me a detailed answer about this, like what and where should i refer ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manoj Dhami
    sir/mam ! I'm electrical student.how should i prepare for aptitude tests, please give me a detailed answer about this, like what and where should i refer ?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Campus placement preparation for electrical students is no different than what is already mentioned above. Unless you are appearing for core company exams, you won't have to do something different than what's written in posts above you. If you are targeting some specific companies, for instance Electrical core companies, please list them below so that we can share some specific preparation tips. If you want any reference books or other material, please ask for them specifically.
  • shubham dwivedi
    shubham dwivedi
    sir please tell me about ...CDAC electronic product design course .........should i joined it or not what is the placement of this course
  • deepuu
    deepuu
    i am in third year tel me wen how to start preparing for placements . tel me how to practice on a daily basis

i am in third year of engineering. pls tel me how to start prparing for place ments on a daily basis companies wil start visiting my campus within 4 months
  • Ashish Bhaskar
    Ashish Bhaskar
    I am in final year mechanical engineering and want to make a career in mechanical designing. I not interested in doing M.Tech .I want to do a job. I also learn AutoCAD , PRO-E , CATIA V5 , and also start learning NX (Unigraphics) and Solid works and I also planning to learn ANSYS . I want to ask that I am going in a right direction or not .
    Pls suggest me some companies name where I should apply .
  • Ashish Bhaskar
    Ashish Bhaskar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Sir I am a final year mechanical engineering student and I want to make a career in mechanical designing . I have learnt AutoCAD, PRO-E, CATIA and start learning NX (Unigraphics) and Solid work And planning to learn ANSYS .
    Pls tell me that I am going in right direction or not or some suggestions
    Your suggestions are helpful for my career.
  • Sarojini Nayak
    Sarojini Nayak
    Hello, i am a 3rd yr eee student . This yr i 'm gng to appear placement i m litl bit nervous . That i scored 58.5% in 12th and my current cgpa is 6.58, Then how can i prepare for placement with short period of time plz plz help me out. I rly want to do a job for my famly. Thnk u
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    sarojini nayak
    how can i prepare for placement with short period of time
    Do follow all the points mentioned in the posts above in this discussion. If you have doubts about any particular topic, please go ahead and ask.
  • Kirti Deokar
    Kirti Deokar
    Hello Sir / Ma'm, I have completed my Engineering in E&TC. I wanted to go in Software Industry that is why I have done Software Testing course, now I am little bit confuse about programming languages, plz guide me which programming languages should I learn at fresher level,which programming language interviewer expect from me as an E&TC Engineer.
  • Vineet8904
    Vineet8904
    can you suggest me some main project topics(cse),which will help me getting placed after my btech?
  • risha mishra
    risha mishra
    can I get some suggestions of websites or books for preparations of aptitude tests. also is there any similarity in the type of questions asked in these tests and MBA preparation questions?
  • ALURU RATNA DEEPAK
    ALURU RATNA DEEPAK
    sir or madam,i study at sastra univ. every year many cse companies with good packages
    visit our university.many of my seniors say that coding skills are what that will get you
    good placement.also they say not to pay much attention towards the subjects.in this dilemma i cannot understand how i should prepare.i mean i have an aggregate of 74% right now.i m so scared whether i get a good placement which is what i take so important.and i dont understand whether to prepare apti or coding.on the other hand,one of my well wishers told me to focus on scoring good %ge ,attend the placements,if i couldnot get through any of them i could think about it then.in this dilemma i cant live happily.please help me out.
  • ALURU RATNA DEEPAK
    ALURU RATNA DEEPAK
    sir or madam,i study at sastra univ.every year many cse companies with good packages
    visit our university.many of my seniors say that coding skills are what that will get you
    good placement.also they say not to pay much attention towards the subjects.in this dilemma i cannot understand how i should prepare.i mean i have an aggregate of 74% right now.i m so scared whether i get a good placement which is what i take so important.and i dont understand whether to prepare apti or coding.on the other hand,one of my well wishers told me to focus on scoring good %ge ,attend the placements,if i couldnot get through any of them i could think about it then.in this dilemma i cant live happily.please help me out.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    risha mishra
    is there any similarity in the type of questions asked in these tests and MBA preparation questions?
    Aptitude is more or less same in all kinds of exams, be it campus placements or MBA or other PG entrance exams. All you need to do is practice a lot with a timer so that you can get maximum correct answers in minimum possible time. The question type is the same in 90% cases, it is the difficulty level that varies from company to company and college to college. So, you need to start with the easy ones and gradually progress towards the more difficult ones. The keyword here is always - "practice". Lots of it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ALURU RATNA DEEPAK
    and i dont understand whether to prepare apti or coding
    Why does it have to be this or that? Why is it an option?
    As an engineering student, you are well versed with handling at least 6 subjects in every semester. Even if you are in your third year right now, you have at least 6 months to prepare for your campus placements. So, divide your time wisely and invest it in preparing for both the aptitude tests (the first key round in all placements) and the coding or technical test.

Your seniors are right when they say that programming skills are utmost important for getting a job via campus placements. In most companies, the second round is a technical round. In that, they will test your logical skills (i.e. developing algorithms) and all different kinds of programming concepts. Even in a technical interview round, you will be ask to write code on a piece of paper on spot!

There's no alternative to preparing for both. You need to start working on both ends right now.
  • risha mishra
    risha mishra
    Thank you for the response. Can I also get some suggestions on books and online sites to prepare from
  • Anitha Selvaraj
    Anitha Selvaraj
    From my point of view clearing aptitude is an very big problem. Am not good in basic mathematics now i have just 2 months for my placement already some placement are going so i am in short time so what to do now. Give some simple and easy steps to clear the App round..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anitha Selvaraj
    for my placement already some placement are going so i am in short time so what to do now. Give some simple and easy steps to clear the App round..
    1. Shut down Facebook, WhatsApp and all other time wasting systems.
    2. Concentrate on improving your aptitude performance. Solve as many questions as you can. Work 14-15 hours a day. Make no excuse.
    3. There are no 'steps'. You've gotta to practice and practice. Shut down your computer after reading this reply and start solving questions. That's the ONLY way.
  • Akshat Gupta
    Akshat Gupta
    sir/mam,how should i prepare for aptitude test for IT companies? i am from EC branch.TCS is coming to our campus after 2 months.Now I have bought RS Aggarwal.My friends are saying to me to, join Banking coaching institute, as they have also joined, to clear the aptitude test and my friends says that they also tell various tricks to solve the questions quickly.But these institutes teach various topics like GK,Aptitude,Computer and English that comes in bank exams.Sometimes in a day they teach only GK and it is compulsory to attend GK classes also in these coachings.Should I join bank coaching or not to clear the aptitude test of private companies?Seriously,I AM VERY MUCH CONFUSED AND TENSED ABOUT THAT.Please suggest me as soon as possible.
  • ankee
    ankee

Sir am Extc final year student my area of intrest is networking. When i go to my clg tpo they ask me you have CCNA cirtificate.in this time can i do CCNA cirtification.and i also want to do my final year project on networking. Please suggest me

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - If you focus on multiple things - things won't get any better. IMHO if you prepare for aptitude tests you'll be able to handle most of the banking exams as well.

You can definitely prepare for aptitude tests in two months. If you are willing to work hard, you can cover the main topics in about 15 days and dedicate the rest of your time to revising and practicing. You'll notice that there's no such thing as 'learning new concept'; because it's still basic mathematics after all. The trick is to understand 'how to solve' these questions in minimum time.

I'd suggest that instead of joining bank coaching do the following -

1. Select the topics you wish to eliminate (Probability, Permutation and Combinations etc.)
    2. Focus on the topics you shortlist for preparation and solve as many questions as you can.
    3. Solve as many question papers as you can.

...and that should be enough. All the best!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ankee
    Sir am Extc final year student my area of intrest is networking. When i go to my clg tpo they ask me you have CCNA cirtificate.
    CCNA certificate will definitely help and if you can; you should prepare for CCNA. It will not only enhance your knowledge but also give you an edge over others during placements.
  • ankee
    ankee

Ok sir i want to do my final project on the base networking .it should be real time aplication sum hardware part also be there.because in networking almost projects are only simulation. if u have sum idea please reply.

• ankee
    ankee
    ankee
    Ok sir i want to do my final project on the base networking .it should be real time aplication sum hardware part also be there.because in networking almost projects are only simulation. if u have sum idea please reply.
    And my collage sir suggest me you should do antenna design it also be part of networking .please reply sir
  • Chandra Sekar
    Chandra Sekar
    sir i am doing mechanical engineering
    right now i have decided to prepare for aptitude
    for that what i want to do??
    and where i have to refer..?
    and to get placed in college what all are things that i have to develop myself..?
    i need soon replay form you..? kindly rqst.....
  • sapna joshi
    sapna joshi
    I m in 5 sem ryt now..so can anyone suggest me how to prepare for campus placement?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sapna joshi
    I m in 5 sem ryt now..so can anyone suggest me how to prepare for campus placement?
    Please read the first post in this discussion. It should answer your question.
  • sapna joshi
    sapna joshi
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please read the first post in this discussion. It should answer your question.
    thank u sir.
  • Arpan_das65
    Arpan_das65
    Sir CTS is coming in our clg next month..though i have prepared hard for aptitute but feeling low in case of vocabulary..and getting too much tensed.Can you suggest me anything?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Arpan_das65
    Sir CTS is coming in our clg next month..though i have prepared hard for aptitute but feeling low in case of vocabulary..and getting too much tensed.Can you suggest me anything?
    What kind of vocabulary test do they conduct these days? It is general usage of English or do they tend to test your word knowledge - like in GRE?

If it's general English; all you need to do is turn into a voracious reader. Read good news papers, novels, books, blogs and you should be prepared. Mugging up word-lists ain't going to help much at this point.
  • anand sugur
    anand sugur
    i am computer science student which subject is better to campus placement
    and what are the project i have do and how
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sanand
    which subject is better to campus placement
    and what are the project i have do and how
    There's no 'one' subject that will make you get through the interviews. You must have thorough knowledge of the subjects taught in CS Engineering. For the projects; you need to contact your HOD and discuss which project you should do for your academic submissions.
  • Burhan Ahamed
    Burhan Ahamed
    mam what kind of job an electrical engineering student may have in an IT company
  • chitransh sinha
    chitransh sinha
    Hello Sir / Ma'am..
    i m in the final year persuing my BCA degree from birla institute of technology lalpur Ranchi nd companies hv started to come in our college for campus placement , i m affraid that m i capable to get job in the reputed company TCS ?
    ths is because i m nt from a computer background and my codeing is much poor.
    i always use to be confused in the conditon of programme logic i dnt know hw to put logic nd which logic in wht programme will be applied..
    i read the subject bt aftr sometym i feel like everything has been erased frm my mind i m much afraid nd loosing my confidence ...wht to do nd hw to do m confused an i have very less time for prepration..hope for your soon reply...eagerly waiting for your reply
  • Anisa Tuscano
    Anisa Tuscano
    Hello Sir/Madam
    i m in third year computer engineering and will soon start preparing for my placements.I have gone through the posts mentioned above but i would like to ask a very basic question i.e. does the cgpa affect ur placement activity like what is the average cgpa a student should have which is needed by the best companies so that the student can get into the company of his/her choice.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anituscano
    does the cgpa affect ur placement activity like what is the average cgpa a student should have which is needed by the best companies so that the student can get into the company of his/her choice.
    You could look at the eligibility criteria set by the company you wish to join.
  • jasleen kaur
    jasleen kaur
    i want to prepare for the quantitative aptitude and almost everybody has suggested me the book "R.S. AGGARWAL". This book is full of questions of every kind but there is no shortcut tricks available in it.So,which book shall i refer to?
  • muthu muthu
    muthu muthu
    bro,iam now entering 3rd yr in Mechanicl dept.i dont no what coarse to do.And i dont want 2 b a prorammr,bcs i dont hav any basic knwldge in c and perhaps notng in java.
    so,wt coarse shall i join now? i hav som basic knldg in design(solid works,creo).i hav also intrst in workng with automobiles.kindly guide me.tanks in advance.
  • prejin
    prejin
    Hi, you wont believe it , i am creating a website to sort this issue very soon .. in few months its known as www.worldacad.com. I faced the same issues and so my cousins ... all mechies in family from parents... 😀I did my UG from coimbatore, I have done my MS in mechanical engineering from Nottingham uni and currently working as a business man after working 8 years as lead QC Engineer & Auditor in 3 worlds leading Powerplants in KSA , and DUBAi. if you would like to take my suggestion and if you are interested in doing core Mech works there are many courses that could get you quality control jobs in many industrial main sector like NDT, ASNT , CWI-AWS , CSWIP , UWater welding inspector, ASME certification, PIPING inspector , and also you can get into designing sector of CAD , PRO E , ANSYS, and SOLID WORKS. YOu can specialize even in LRQA certification,

there are courses like primavera and other management software also ..

I don't know how many engineers would have heard these courses as these informations are limited other than those related to computer like design softwares.

Mech is a beautiful ever green subject that can get you into anysector but if you want to stand out only way is to do some extra certificates ,

Automobile courses there are many when it comes to testing but its possibility is more if you study manufacturing engineer. In UK if you have a chance to work for Rolce Royce , Land rover . Jaguar , Nissan may it be any company .. it has to be from manufacturing department . These are few key elements which engineers are not aware when it comes to manufacturing department . In any world more than mechanical engineering . a masters in manufacturing engineering gives key result and response.

You can choose merchant navy and also you can get into ARMY if you are interested as they have special recruitment in that division.

rest later..... if you want more info😀

Muthu R
    bro,iam now entering 3rd yr in Mechanicl dept.i dont no what coarse to do.And i dont want 2 b a prorammr,bcs i dont hav any basic knwldge in c and perhaps notng in java.
    so,wt coarse shall i join now? i hav som basic knldg in design(solid works,creo).i hav also intrst in workng with automobiles.kindly guide me.tanks in advance.
  • Vishal Durgule
    Vishal Durgule
    sir i am from last year mechanical engineering in next month TCS visited our company. If interviewer ask me what is the fev. sub the can i tell the IC engine.
  • Biswadeepa Bhattacharya
    Biswadeepa Bhattacharya
    Hello sir/ma'am.
    Currently I am in my 5th sem of B.tech EEE . My cgpa at this point after 4 semesters is 6.5 and I have calculated and checked that at the max after my 5th sem I can't get more than 6.7 - 6.8
    Right Now I am really worried that with a cgpa of less than 7 will I be able to sit for jobs?
    let me clear it out to you, I don't want a job in core company because i know with this cgpa I am not even eligible to sit for the apti of core companies. So my possibilities are cut down to IT companies .
    My question is if by the starting of 4th year ,which is when our placements start, I am not able to achieve a 7 cgpa will I be able to sit for IT companies ? If yes then which ones ?
    Also I was student of PCMB , so I have no knowledge about programming languages such C,C++ , JAVA.
    But I take a keen interest in 'Micro-processor and Micro-controllers' ,which is one of the current subjects in our syllabus of 5th sem.
    my 10th board percentage is 82 and 12th is 78%.
    Please help me and guide me. To be honest I am not good at apti either but if Guided properly I am ready to work hard, I just don't know how to .
    I am so worried that I am not able to concentrate in my current semester exam which is gonna start in 5 days.
  • OBOlinx
    OBOlinx
    Good pointers on how to be prepared for campus placements...
  • Harshita soni
    Harshita soni
    mam/sir i am a 3rdyr student of B.E. cse what the extra skills i have to develop to get a better placement.
  • urvi kashyap
    urvi kashyap
    there are very descriptive answers in the block
    I would like to add my 2 cents :
    Start preparing an year before for placements. The right time to prepare is 3rd year.
    You can start by joining internships in startups and build contacts so that in future you can get a job there itself. If you build a good enough network and show your efficiency they would be more than happy to hire you
    Instead of focussing your internships in big MNCs where you end up learning next to nothing, I have done 7 interns in big MNCs and had an experience of learning nothing but 1 intern in a robotics startup yearned me tons to learn.

All the best
  • urvi kashyap
    urvi kashyap
    Start an year before

Instead of pursuing internships in Big MNCs, try to get internships in startups which are series A funded. This will be a very good learning curve for you,
    Trust me on this guys, if you can make a network, you can easily get placed with good packages and knowledge curve will experience a hockey stick growth.
  • Tina Singh
    Tina Singh
    Its depend on you or your college. When I was students on Nagpur Engineering colleges, they gave us separate aptitude classes and personal development class.
  • ROHIT KHUSHAWA
    ROHIT KHUSHAWA
    Thanks for such a great post and i have got a proper idea how to prepare
  • AmanAg513
    AmanAg513
    Sir how to prepare for verbal ability
  • Vinay Jakkula
    Vinay Jakkula
    #-Link-Snipped-# we don't have college placements in our college usually call centers keep on visiting. But I can work hard and good at communication skills and programming. What should I do to get placed in MNCs with a good package? Can I attend campus recruitments of premiere institutes? If so list those colleges please.😀
  • Vinay Jakkula
    Vinay Jakkula
    Vinay Jakkula
    #-Link-Snipped-# we don't have college placements in our college usually call centers keep on visiting. But I can work hard and good at communication skills and programming. What should I do to get placed in MNCs with a good package? Can I attend campus recruitments of premiere institutes? If so list those colleges please.😀
    #-Link-Snipped-# please reply to my query.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍  Since you are saying that you CAN work hard, that's what you should do. Once you are confident about your technical skills as well as communication, next step is to start developing your portfolio. Create a personal project of your choice that shows how good you are the technical skills. Incorporate as many good programming practices as possible, and highlight what you know by coding it. Start as a freelancer. Develop projects for businesses in your locality or simply bid for projects on any freelancer hiring website of your choice. This helps you showcase a considerable work experience on your resume -> a pre-requisite for companies looking for candidates with work experience. Since there is no readymade list of companies visiting campus in your area, you need to approach colleges in your vicinity and see if any companies are offering walk-ins. That's your best bet to enter the industry, right from campus.

• Nishant Kumar
    Nishant Kumar

What are the best ways to improve one's communication skills? I am not that fluent in speaking english,please give some practical ways considering the fact that I don't have friends to talk in english neither such  family members. 

• Nishant Kumar
    Nishant Kumar

What are the best ways to improve one's communication skills? I am not that fluent in speaking english,please give some practical ways considering the fact that I don't have friends to talk in english neither such  family members. 

• sharmila naga
    sharmila naga

Hello mam/sir

Is CAT preparation is enough to clear aptitude round of any company?? '

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Depends upon the level of your preparation. However, it's true that if you prepare very well for CAT (or even GRE), you should find it easy to crack the aptitude test of any company. 

There's however a strategy to prepare for such exams. And most people do it all wrong. 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I see that #-Link-Snipped-# has asked

I feel that it's a very important question and it needs some answering.

What do you do when you want to improve your Spoken English skills and you have no friends and family around whom you can communicate with?

More often than not, even when we are proficient in English writing skills, speaking the language fluently seems like an altogether different ballgame.

So I came with a few tips and ideas that can help you practice English communication skills and improve before the campus placements.

1. Listen. Listen. Listen. Watch any of your favorite TV show or movie in English and try to understand the statement construction. Pay attention to the natural flow of the statements.

2. Do not try to translate your mother tongue into English language statements. Since the grammar of two different languages can be poles apart, if you try to *mentally* translate one language into another, you will end up making very stupid mistakes.

3. Practice speaking slowly. If you see a corporate setting, very often we see newbies and freshers speaking at a VERY fast pace. It is annoying and bothersome to the listeners. Never try to emulate that. Think before you speak and keep the pace of sentences super slow. In trying to *appear* like you are very fluent, you end up speaking incoherently and often mix up words and grammar.

4. It is often underestimated how much 'reading' helps in improving your language communication skills, even speaking. Read as much as you can.

5. Do not read new books for *improving* your language. Instead, read to understand. Read to acknowledge the topic and try to gain a complete understanding of what you are reading. This way, creating new sentences in your mind will come naturally to you.

Lastly, find someone you can practice speaking English with. It could be your teacher, your friend, your mom, so just about anyone. If the other person is not interested in speaking, just make them listen you speak. :) It will help you a lot!

:) I hope this helps anyone looking for preparing their language skills for campus placement season.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Listed below is the difference between 2-Stroke and 4-stroke engines: In case of two stroke engine, rotation of crank shaft will be power stroke for every one rotation. During compression...
I'm wondering how much does personal branding matter on the Internet these days? I'm sure you must have searched your own name in Google and eventually found that the only...
The question is simple - we have seen single stroke (?), 2-stroke, 4-stroke, 6-stroke engines and my curious mind is enquiring what is the maximum number of stroke any engine...
I just read the news that Reliance Infocom has slashed 3G data tariff by about 50%, and their latest offering is 1GB data download for only Rs. 123. Makes me...
You can nominate your college to be a regional center for The AerotriX All India Ornithopter Challenge - in association with Ornithopter Zone (USA), NSSC (IIT Kharagpur) and TechNITi'13 (NIT...