How to move apps without rooting?

Hi CEans .I am facing a problem in my phone regarding the installation of apps from google apps store because of insufficient storage memory. Recently tried to install Google's hangout app and Google play sercvice apps.MY phone is Samsung galaxy young I want to know whether there is any software to install apps directly to sd card or move it. I had tried many apps regarding managing android phone but it can move only few apps to sd card. I am not able to install many games due to insufficient storage. So I kindly request all CEans to answer if you know the answer.

{PS: I am afraid of rooting phone my phone, If possible give links which give procedure of rooting}

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    So many features are unlocked when you root the phone.

Let's root the Galaxy Y :
    - Download the zip files which I have uploaded below.
    - Put both the files in sdcard (Note that, put it in sdcard & not anyother folder within sdcard)
    - Now switch off the device.
    - Press Volume Up key + Home Key + Power On key button altogether.
    - Recovery mode will open(touch will be disabled, you've to use volume key to move up & down). In that there will be an option called "Install zip from sdcard"
    - Click on it & then select downloaded 'update.zip' & click on 'Yes'.
    - Click on the option 'Reboot system now'

Rooting device completed.

You will see the additional app installed called as 'superuser'.

Do this first, once you complete this process, post it below & I will post the small tutorial on how to partition sd card & move installed apps to sdcard using link2sd.

Note : As you've mentioned Samsung Young, I have posted files of Samsung young only i.e. model GT-S5360. If you've different model number then this root files won't work. So, better check it before proceeding.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Although, rooting is a good idea, but it depends on you, if you want to root your phone, go with Abhishek Rawal's Method.

But if you don't want to root your phone, then you can install an app named app2 sd it would help you in moving the apps to phone, or installing them straight away.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    App2sd is ain't capable of moving all the applications (like Maps,Playstore,Play services & plenty other which are downladed from play store).
    Link2sd can move everything, yeah! everything!

Check the image below, I have moved almost everything, including system apps ๐Ÿ˜›

SC20130924-211159 SC20130924-211134 SC20130924-211144

With root & custom kernel, you can even increase clock speed of your device & also use schedulers as per use (helpful in powersaving sometimes)
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    App2sd is ain't capable of moving all the applications (like Maps,Playstore,Play services & plenty other which are downladed from play store).
    Link2sd can move everything, yeah! everything!

Check the image below, I have moved almost everything, including system apps ๐Ÿ˜›

SC20130924-211159 SC20130924-211134 SC20130924-211144

With root & custom kernel, you can even increase clock speed of your device & also use schedulers as per use (helpful in powersaving sometimes)
    ahaan, yes, forgot to mention it's not for default apps.

I'll root my device someday, after it's warranty is over ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    What's warranty ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Abhishek Rawal

- Put both the files in sdcard (Note that, put it in sdcard & not anyother folder within sdcard)
    - Recovery mode will open(touch will be disabled, you've to use volume key to move up & down). In that there will be an option called "Install zip from sdcard"

Do this first, once you complete this process, post it below & I will post the small tutorial on how to partition sd card & move installed apps to sdcard using link2sd.

Note : As you've mentioned Samsung Young, I have posted files of Samsung young only i.e. model GT-S5360. If you've different model number then this root files won't work. So, better check it before proceeding.
    Hi bro, I had successfully rooted my phone and i am able to see super user app in menu.What to do next? Waiting for your tutorial on partition of sd card and moving apps.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    There is two possible way to partition sd card : 1) From mobile itself 2) Using application from computer.

As I am using Linux & you're Windows user, I will only post first method i.e. partitioning from wizard itself.

Steps :
    - Go to settings & click on "unknown sources"
    - After doing that in settings scroll below, there's an option "Development",Open it & inside there's option called "USB debugging", Click on it too.
    - Download link2sd from Google Playstore.
    - Download CWM_bla_bla.zip & put in sdcard (Note: put it in sdcard & not in anyother folder within sdcard, same as you kept 'update.zip' while rooting the device)
    - Turn off the device.
    - Now, press Volume up + Home key + Power key to enter Recovery Mod.
    - Using volume down button, go to 'install zip from sd' & click on it, then click on 'choose zip from sdcard'. Now choose, 'CWM_bla_bla' &press home key.
    - Now you're in ClockworkMod Recovery.
    - Down below there's option 'advanced' click on it.
    - Now another screen will splash & 7th option from top & 2nd option from bottom you'll see option "partition SD card". Click on it.
    - You'll see different size option, if you've 2GB SDcard then select on 512 MB. If you've 8 GB SD card, select on 1024MB.
    - It will ask for swap size, Keep it whatever you want.
    - Partitioning will proceed & you'll get message saying "Partitioning successful".
    - Now reboot the phone.
    - Open installed software "link2sd"
    - It will pop-up saying 2nd partition found, in that click on "ext3" & again reboot the device.
    - Now, you've successfuly created 2nd partition.

- Open link2sd, click on the application which you want to move & click on 'create link'. Keep doing it with all application & you'll see that your phone memory will be empty (as if you've bought new phone)

Note : Back up the sdcard before partitioning it, there are fair chances in losing the data in sdcard. I tend to lose data while partitioning.

Tip : Don't be scared while doing it, this is usually fun period when you're learning something new, and fear & excitement together occupies your mind & when you succeed, you jump like a monkey (I do jump like monkeys when I succeed)

Note2 : This is not really tough thing, I have included small steps too, because you're new in this. This is very amateur level of tweak.
    Thanks.Thats a long and simple one.I will post it after moving apps.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    But why you changed the topic to "Move apps without Rooting" when you actually rooted. ๐Ÿ˜›

@#-Link-Snipped-#
    Sanyam Khurana
    But why you changed the topic to "Move apps without Rooting" when you actually rooted. ๐Ÿ˜›

@#-Link-Snipped-#
    I had surfed over many websites but I had found that only few apps have the facility to be moved to sd card.So Now I had been forced to root. Now my fear has gone and I had rooted my phone. Now on the way to next procedure by Abhishek.
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    There is two possible way to partition sd card : 1) From mobile itself 2) Using application from computer.

As I am using Linux & you're Windows user, I will only post first method i.e. partitioning from wizard itself.

Steps :
    - Go to settings & click on "unknown sources"
    - After doing that in settings scroll below, there's an option "Development",Open it & inside there's option called "USB debugging", Click on it too.
    - Download link2sd from Google Playstore.
    - Download CWM_bla_bla.zip & put in sdcard (Note: put it in sdcard & not in anyother folder within sdcard, same as you kept 'update.zip' while rooting the device)
    - Turn off the device.
    - Now, press Volume up + Home key + Power key to enter Recovery Mod.
    - Using volume down button, go to 'install zip from sd' & click on it, then click on 'choose zip from sdcard'. Now choose, 'CWM_bla_bla' &press home key.
    - Now you're in ClockworkMod Recovery.
    - Down below there's option 'advanced' click on it.
    - Now another screen will splash & 7th option from top & 2nd option from bottom you'll see option "partition SD card". Click on it.
    - You'll see different size option, if you've 2GB SDcard then select on 512 MB. If you've 8 GB SD card, select on 1024MB.
    - It will ask for swap size, Keep it whatever you want.
    - Partitioning will proceed & you'll get message saying "Partitioning successful".
    - Now reboot the phone.
    - Open installed software "link2sd"
    - It will pop-up saying 2nd partition found, in that click on "ext3" & again reboot the device.
    - Now, you've successfuly created 2nd partition.

- Open link2sd, click on the application which you want to move & click on 'create link'. Keep doing it with all application & you'll see that your phone memory will be empty (as if you've bought new phone)

Note : Back up the sdcard before partitioning it, there are fair chances in losing the data in sdcard. I tend to lose data while partitioning.

Tip : Don't be scared while doing it, this is usually fun period when you're learning something new, and fear & excitement together occupies your mind & when you succeed, you jump like a monkey (I do jump like monkeys when I succeed)

Note2 : This is not really tough thing, I have included small steps too, because you're new in this. This is very amateur level of tweak.
    do I want to create link or use move to sd?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    do I want to create link or use move to sd?
    When you click on app, down below there's an option 'create link' click on that.
    Can i delete "samsung apps " ? and how?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Can i delete "samsung apps " ? and how?
    You're now in full control of your device. So,yes you can delete those bloats.

- Download root browser app from Playstore.
    - Open it & go to /system/app
    - Press on app (which you wanna delete) & change permission to rwxr--r--
    - Now Click on it & delete it.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    What's warranty ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I'm just in fear to brick my phone...๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    I'm just in fear to brick my phone...๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    You won't hard-brick it, in most cases. It's soft-brick so no need to worry if boot-loop occurs.
    Just download Odin & all required files from xda, so incase you soft-brick you can flash it with Odin.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    You won't hard-brick it, in most cases. It's soft-brick so no need to worry if boot-loop occurs.
    Just download Odin & all required files from xda, so incase you soft-brick you can flash it with Odin.
    I have Samsung Galaxy Pocket Duos aka Galay Y duos lite
    GT-S5302, seen some of the custom ROMS on XDA, and one of them was simply awesome, providing battery back up of 6 days ๐Ÿ˜
    Samsung does not lock it's bootloader so, it would be simple, but I'm still confused. BDW, what is Odin ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    BDW, what is Odin ?
    Odin is a software which flash the stock ROM of your device from PC via usb, when you put your device in download-mode (volume down + home + lock button)
    You can recover your device with Stock ROM & Stock Kernel if you're using Custom ROM & Kernel.
    Even helps when you soft-brick your phone.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Please explain the difference between ROM and Kernel.
    Nice thread.๐Ÿ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Deepika Bansal
    Please explain the difference between ROM and Kernel.
    ROM = Operating system (Kernel is a part of ROM)

Kernel interacts with hardware. User apps interacts with kernel through system calls. Considering specific Android in this case, when you use touch screen, press buttons, perform any task; interrupt is triggered and passed it to kernel & kernel perform the activity as per the priority decided using priority flags. In short, it deals with hardware. Without kernel you cannot run any device. (There's too many things in Kernel to be explained in one thread)

If you like to read more : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • monkey_007
    monkey_007
    Abhishek Rawal

Can you tell how to root for lenovo a60+ . Is there any procedure to move system apps without rooting
    #-Link-Snipped-# Do you know about Lenovo
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I tried finding out root files for Lenovo A60+ in XDA developers. Unfortunately, I see zero development for that device. However, I found a nice blog which have mentioned steps precisely on how to root A60+ . Check it out : #-Link-Snipped-#

All the methods I know, whether it is using Titanium backup, Link2SD or A2SDx scripts, it NEEDS rooted device.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I had planned to start a blog related to only Technical arena. So I want to know about the best blog source to start my blog and note that...
I want to do MTech in aeronautical. So I want to know the scope of this branch and How can I get into it..?? Is their any special exam for...
Found a post in G+, This is undoubtedly fake. But the design concept is so awesome, that it should be implemented in next gen Galaxy phones. Check out images below...
i have a pre-installed 1gb ram which i feel it as insufficient, so i have decided to buy a 2gb ram ...is it possible to add a extra ram as...
Frequent flyers know how important it is to have Internet connection on the flight. You can get a lot of things done, work on the presentations or even keep yourself...