How to make money in college in India?

2nd November was "Dia day Los Muertos" - the day of the dead in English and I thought of recollecting my memories and experiences of last four years, the days I enjoyed as a B. Tech student. Some are very special memories but some are quite useful. "If I write them down, I may be able to use them in future If I plan to become a student again" - This is the influence I had when I wrote, "How to earn money when in college"? However, I understood I did not have a comprehensive list as I did not test all the methods. So, as planned, I would like to share with you the one best method I found could be useful and one of them is certainly, full-fledged tested.

I also understood one thing and probably learned it the hard way. It is always safer to hone an existing skill than building an entirely new set that you never tried before. I know there are a lot of risk takers and I support them too but this is what my life taught me. Without any further ado, let us share the ways using which we earned quite a few bucks for ourselves.

Writing, writing and writing: I can write. All engineers can and that was the primary source I tested. Lucky me, it worked but took a full-hearted dedication of 2 years to find out the perfect job that suited me. How to go about it? It is actually simple. If you are a novice, try free. Do not hesitate to volunteer. Initially, I started to look for unpaid internships in sites such as Internshala and twenty nineteen. For two months I worked in a start-up but that did not suit my interest. So I switched to another start-up named Yaabot and cracked a telephonic interview to get my first happy-state work. Although I did not get money to work there, my work was always complemented with perks such as DVDs and Amazon Gift Cards. After working there for almost a year I got a notification from CrazyEngineers and I applied for a Blogger post. Much to my surprise, I got selected and since then I started enjoying my work as a freelancer.

Tip: CrazyEngineers is again hiring bloggers and if you wanna earn a little extra then do try here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Trust me, it is quite a stable income if you will be true to your work.

This is what I had to share. But it doesn't end here. A lot of youtube videos and posts claim that you can earn money via one thing or the other. If you happen to be there at the position, do share how did you earn money while in college?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    This one is for the Computer Science engineers out there.

When I was in college, I have seen students using their learned skills to earn money. I am going to give two examples and it is a coincidence that both of them are named Abhisek. I am not disclosing their last names for privacy purposes. The first Abhisek was, or should I say is still an enthusiastic coder. From the first year of engineering he took the help of his seniors, professors and the internet to learn PHP. Once he mastered those skills he got in touch with small businesses and offered them his services at down to earth prices. He would approach businesses usually who wanted a basic enough website for accepting customer data and he would build them one and charge them a reasonable fee which was much lower than what small local software firms would. He used networking to expand his business and had built multiple websites by his final year of college. Once he sat for interviews, he managed to impress his recruiters with his paid projects and was placed in a good company with a decent package.

The next Abhisek, was an IT student but he has an artistic side to him too. He used the power of internet to learn hone his skills in Adobe Photoshop, Graphic Design, InVision, Marvel, Principle, Sketch 3, UI, Ux, Web Design, WordPress, Zeplin. This made him a master of all crafts, not only could he design stunning looking websites but also produce promotional material for them too. He freelanced as a Creative Designer on The Witty Designer and used to accept additional jobs on Fiverr. He went on to work for start-ups like Thrillophilia and StayZilla completely redesigning their products and marketing campaigns and is currently working for as an UI/UX designer for Matchmore.

These two examples show that you can not only use your skills for earning money but also serve as a foundation for a great career.

Now this was exclusively for CSE people, How can people from other branches earn money during their college years. If you have any examples, let others know.
  • Tilak Marupilla
    Tilak Marupilla
    Well, not isolating any one with the line of Branch, many attend Arduino workshops, while being a tender foot. But, some of my acquaintances have went further and had built, home Iot and embedded products and sold it to big builders. One such friend of mine, had designed a floating platform of sensors, for aquaculture and it is a booming product now, which got a good chunk of funding !
  • Dipankar Ganguly
    Dipankar Ganguly
    While writing is surely a very good source of stable secondary income for college students there are few other too which might help to get some quick bucks in your free time.

Virtual Internships:
    There are a lot of work from home internship oppurtunities at websites like Internships | Summer Internship 2023where college students can work and earn both money and experience.

Offer your services:
    If you are good at something like web development, have fast typing skills, can design logo etc you can offer your services at websites like www.freelancer.in

Online tutoring:
    If you are good at a subject and love teaching, just sign up on websites like www.superprof.co.in and carry out online tutoring jobs.
    If you love problem-solving and answering questions, you can offer your expert services in websites like #-Link-Snipped-# which specializes in the textbook development, textbook solutions and test preparation materials.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Blogging - if you know how to do it properly; can make lot of money. 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think that students who want to make money while in college in India need to start planning for it right from their first year in an engineering college. This is the right move because, there are so many ways your career can bloom by being a part of the industry and extra pocket money never hurts.

1. Take coaching classes -
    If you are a master of any 1 subject in your curriculum, I think you should start coaching it to your classmates or juniors for a nominal fee. Professional coaching classes charge a hefty fee and many students won't be able to devote time or money to such classes. They will love learning from a fellow engineer and you not only improve your knowledge of the subject, but also earn significant side income.

2. Start freelancing via micro-job websites
    You can start this by creating an account on a micro-job website like Fiverr or freelancer websites like Upwork or Freelancer and fill it with all the skills you know. You can sign-up for their free accounts and start earning money by applying to jobs. Fiverr lets job-givers directly contact you. You not only learn how to deal with clients, but it gives you a chance to explore and enhance whatever you skill-base is. There are enough jobs on these sites for engineers from any branch.

3. Build follower base on Twitter/Instagram/YouTube
    If you are a people's person and not camera shy, you can build interesting profiles for yourself or any skill you know on above channels. Post regularly and frequently on these channels and in no-time you can start finding ways to make money via these channels. Some examples of this is - fashion vlogging, travel blogging, life of a student etc. You need to pick a niche and build content around in the form of photos, videos, interesting captions etc. You can monetize this through ads and a healthy follower base can help you build popularity for any kind of online work you can take up in the future.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A while back we talked about WhatsApp’s intention of introducing UPI powered payments on its platform. This could be a game changing feature that can eliminate the necessity of mobile...
Recruitment is one of the most important tasks at any firm. It’s not only time consuming but also a resource hogging process. In order to ease this process some Indian...
I got worried while writing my latest article. The article was about AI-based bots being used in the recruitment process. The report had unearthed that recruitment firms and big companies...
A lot of people have been searching for ways to make money with WhatsApp and YouTube. I've thought a lot about this and come up with easy and simple steps...
It's been almost a year since Prime Minister N.Modi announced the demonetisation exercise. It was quite a surprise move on the part of Indian government to weed out the menace...