How to interview a web developer for your startup?

So, since we have a lot of startup talk going on around, all thanks to Founders Circuit, here's a question that came up in my mind. There are a lot of people who have a great idea to execute but have zero (or lesser?) technical expertise. Does that stop these founders from starting up their own company? NO.

But, I believe a lot of startup owners go through a hard time finding a developer that can work with them and take the idea from being an idea to a successful product or service (the way he/she has imagined).

A lot of business these days can't really take off till they have an online presence, a webpage or a full-fledged website that will help them develop their brand and make their company searchable for people who haven't even yet heard of it.

In come - "web developers" who may or may not be really good at what they do. It is tough task interviewing these developers to decide if they are really the right choice. How does a startup owner who has no technical expertise choose a good web developer? (someone who can sometime exceed your own expectations!)

Please come in with your ideas, input and questions for this one! 😀 If we can, let us come up with a set of basic questions that a non-CS/IT engineer can ask a developer before making him an employee or giving him a contract

Replies

• Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    Dear Ankita,

Let me tell you my story as a "Web Developer".
    The story begins,

After in-completion of my Engg i moved to Hyderabad, Just to learn PHP/MySQL.
    I started learning in an Institute Called Best Digital Marketing Course in Hyderabad (2022) - Top Digital Marketing Training Institute

After few days, I got placed in Startup E-Commerce co called #-Link-Snipped-# which sells premium perfumes. He was running his business since 2009 in Hyderabad. He the only guys takes care of all technical aspects paying huge amount of money to web agencies to take care of his online presence.

He had really had very hard time to maintain a web developer. That's me!
    During my tenure we had great time. Only reason i didn't find right fit for that co because of I'm not passionate about something that i was doing.

So my suggesting for Owner of Companies of Any type!.

> Please do not Hire Web Developer,
    - Who is over qualified, You need to pay him well or else he won't be able to work at his potential and ending up in doing freelance. taking less care of your business.
    - Who is under qualified, You don't know it and you can't expect magic.

> Better to hire a freelancer! Very cheap, reliable and job well done on time.
    > You need to have complete sense of your requirement. You can't expect your web developer to visualize your dreams and make it happen.

Incase you want take them as a fulltime employee,

> Hire only the people are really passionate about your company or services or product.
    > Hire only if you have absolute necessary.

For the people who want to join a Startup.

> My suggestion would be just go with it. If you ever got a chance to work with an Good Startup.

That's it!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That sounds like a really worthwhile advice to me. Thanks for your input.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Mcgee #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

We would like to read comments from both developers and startup owners. If anyone has had any experience, please comment below.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    In spite of spending so much bucks to the web agencies, I would prefer to spend the money instead to make any of the member from the team itself to master all those skills. This would be one of the best investment, thats what I believe. 😀

Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Alcatel, the brand from the Chinese handset manufacturer - TCL, had come up with a new smartphone called "Alcatel One Touch Idol X+" and had officially launched it in China...
The inaugural Code Conference at Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. is a Mecca for tech companies and technologists alike. Apart from the Skype Translator and the Apple-Beats deal another product was...
As you can see on CrazyEngineers, the breadcrumbs (or Navigation tabs) follow the responsive design. It means they adjust to the size of the screen. I want to know how...
Just came across this Coca-Cola's advertisement. I really love this idea.
BMW, the German automobile giant, has launched its brand new 2014 BMW X5 in India today. Priced at Rs 70.9 lakhs (all-India ex-Showroom), the 3rd generation BMW X5 brings several...