How to interpret NETSTAT command?

How do we actually interpret netstat command.

For eg:consider the below result for a port 'abc' on the server xxx.

netstat -a | grep abc
tcp 0 0 xxx.abc yyy.1 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 xxx.abc yyy.2 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 *.abc *.* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 xxx.abc yyy.3 CLOSE_WAIT

Ah! I understand its a tcp connection and abc are listening ports trying to listen to the 'established' connection from the ports 1,2,3 from a client machine yyy.
Outgoing packets and incoming packets are 0 currently and since a TCP connection from yyy.3 can be 'closed' to abc port of xxx only after yyy receives a ack from xxx.

I feel I am missing upon other stuff here, any other deductions?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Ah !! nice topic, I always loved to discuss about commands.

netstat (network statistics) is a command-line tool that displays network connections (both incoming and outgoing), routing tables, and a number of network interface statistics. It is available on Unix, Unix-like, and Windows NT-based operating systems.

It will take lots of space to explain the command with each attribute. For in depth knowledge of NETSTAT you can refer the following sites:

For Windows: #-Link-Snipped-# (Netstat command)

For Linux: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    to know about more on netstat type netstat -? in command prompt you will get an help mesage

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Website: Eureka! 2009 From the official website: Eureka! is the biggest Business Plan Competition in the Asia-Oceanic region in terms of participation, prizes and resources. It is intended as a...
Hello everyone, First of all, I would like to apologize if a subject such as this has already been discussed elsewhere in this forum. Unfortunately, I do not have Net...
Some other discussion on CE inspired me to write this post. Following are few tips on resume writing for engineering college grads appearing for campus placements - Don't copy your...
We surface ophthalmic lens of plastic material which also generate plastic powder. we daily through it in garbage. Can we recycle or use to manufacture other product.
Hey friends...what exactly you mean by Cache memory and how exactly it increases the performance of a processor? Need some expert to throw some light on this.