1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

How to increase email sending rate using Amazon SES API and uBuntu?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #PHP #Programming #Linux on Jan 12, 2020
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 12, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

We've an approved limit of sending 500 emails/second with Amazon SES. However, using the PHP API, the max sending rate I'm getting is ~12-15 emails per second. 

I'm wondering what is the right way to increase the email sending rate and achieve something like ~200 / 300 emails per second at least, if not the top limit. 

Under the hood, we use phpMailer library to process the outgoing email. Each email is ~20-50 Kb in size and I think we can really send emails faster. Anyone?

Posted in: #PHP #Programming #Linux
Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal · Jan 13, 2020
Rank A2 - PRO

How long does it take for packet to traverse from your instance to AWS SES ?

There must be some configuration to control min and max rate available in Amazon SES.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 13, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

SES manually approves the email sending rate and we've got a higher rate approved already - 500 emails per second. 

Upon investigation, it looks like the problem is with the way requests are made to the API. The API responds slowly - and that's why there has to be a way to make non-blocking requests to the AWS SES API. That way, SES API will receive all the content faster and it will dispatch them at the approved rate. 

I'm now looking at ways to do this. 

By the way, we are totally eliminating the port 25 and other mailing ports - because the framework interacts with the SES API directly. It does not have to involve its own SMTP ports at any point. 

I'm still wondering if there's anything that could be blocking this on the system level. 

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up