How to increase attention span while reading or working?

These days almost everything that you've surrounded yourself with is begging for (or should I say 'commanding') your attention. Be it your smartphone and its powerful push notifications served hot it you from the countless apps, or the social media websites that are constantly open in one of the tabs in your browser - Something is always distracting you.

There's something I noticed when I started reading a novel after many, many weeks. I just couldn't concentrate. Something else was capturing my attention every 2 paragraphs. I almost shut the book thinking I would just watch the documentary/movie based on this book.

That brought me to discussing the same thing with my friends. Does everyone have a very low attention span these days? I check a TED Talk and if the speaker can't grab my attention in the first 2 minutes or so, I hardly ever complete watching the entire thing (no matter how appealing the topic). I involuntarily scroll down to the comments and read the description and close the tab.

What I find frustrating about this is - something is terribly wrong. To get real work done, everyone needs to have really strong attention spans. All kinds of works these days need you to study something new. This means you need to concentrate on one topic without wavering for at least couple of hours.

I started this discussion with the intention that not only employees or startup owners, but also students could benefit from the ideas discussed here. Anyone up for sharing any suggestions? How do you go about increasing your attention span?

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    1) To give practical example
    2) More reliable explanation which seems alive and not dead
    3) Get to know about audience's mood and taste
    4) Make the presentation/talk indulging the audience actively.
    5) Some sense of humor
    6) Less redundancy
    7) Speak less with more meaning

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Following the current line of 4G enabled smart phones, Panasonic recently introduced the newest member of the Eluga series, the Panasonic Eluga A2. Designed with all modern facilities and tagged...
Our world's heavy reliance on fossil fuels to provide for global power demand, which are proving to be scarcer by the day is the biggest challenge facing our scientists who...
Science has always shown an uncanny affinity towards oneness, or what physicists call ‘unification’. Although, our predecessors had been receptive to the idea of multiple Gods and turned to worship...
I was shocked to find out an advertisement pop-up on a web-page I'd never expect to find an advertisement on; and I began wondering if there's anything wrong with my...
Lava's latest smartphone is for those who are on a budget. The Lava A59 has just arrived in the market with an official price tag of Rs. 4199. Featuring Android...