How to Hide and Lock Hard Disk Drives in "My Computer"

Did you know you can secure the data on the hard disk drives by hiding or locking them. In Windows, use the steps below to do just do it.

Click on the "Start" button. Go to "Run", type "gpedit.msc" and press ENTER.
Wait for the "Group Policy wizard" to appear. Click on the "+" button behind "Administrative Templates". Then click the "+" button behind "Windows Components" and then "Windows Explorer".
Search for "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" in the options that appear in the right column of the window. Double click it, enable it and choose the drive(s) you want to hide.
Now for LOCK
Search for "Prevent access to drives from My Computer". Double click it and repeat the previous step if you want to stop accessing any drive by "command" (e.g, by typing "C:" in the address bar or "Run").
Close the group policy window.
Restart your computer for changes to take effect.
Enjoy...!!!
Friends Please Rate My Threads if u like them...

Replies

• pushpen mahawar
    pushpen mahawar
    aman .. this not working in vista and windows 7....
    that might be working on xp ..
    could u tell it for windows 7 ultimate ???
  • pushpen mahawar
    pushpen mahawar
    i'm posting it for vista and windows 7 ,and it's working .
  • accoolaryan
    accoolaryan
    ya man its cool and working.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    The following is another way of doing this:

Right-click My Computer(on Desktop)
    click Manage
    Now in computer management window click Disk Management
    Right click any of the drives shown and select Change Drive Letter and paths
    Click Remove button to remove the drive letter.

Removing the drive letter will make the drive inaccessible thus removing it from My Computer.
    If you want to make the drive accessible then add a drive letter to it in the same way described above.
    This may also work in Vista or Windows 7.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why does pen drive carry lots of viruses??๐Ÿ˜•
I've always wondered why lot of companies have complicated mission statements. Most of the mission statements I've read so far have been confusing. Do you think every company should have...
hello friends...i am to do a project on op amps n 555 timer...please shower some thoughts,ideas and links ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
hi, i want a vhdl code for following logic. i have 20 signed numbers,like. -2 -2 0 0 0 0 -2 -2 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0...
i thought I would post this as a fun activity. But no, For some reason I am unable tor each internet thorugh my roomie's computer ( poor girl has given...