How to get inspiration for studying? Any tips or advice?

Most of the engineering students on our community are trying to study for some or the other exam. If you talk around the group you will find that a lot of students just like you are very good at preparing for the exams. They don't seem to work hard, but they do work smart. What is the good advice that you can pass around?

What works for you the best? - Setting small achievable targets? A perfectly, systematically arranged study space? A cup of coffee or water bottle to accompany your books?

Sometimes the little advice you read on the internet is the best inspiration to make you start studying properly. So, please share your friendly methods to help others study better.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The thing that motivated most of my college mates to study was fear. The fear of failing and the urgency associated with deadlines (project submissions & exams) were the things which pushed students towards hard work. This however did not work as it did not give good results. Yes, you managed to get through but not with flying colours. I fell for this formula of this in the first two years and paid price for it big time. So then I went back to my original mantra that I had learnt in school to get back in the game and that mantra was “Aim for full marks because if you aim for anything less you put in less effort and even get lesser marks”.

On a side note, the BPUT university syllabus and its unnecessarily lengthy subjects often pushed students to employ selective studying techniques. The techniques included going through past years’ questions and finding out what questions appeared frequently and then preparing only those portions. This resulted in catastrophically bad results when the question setter tried to do something radical with the pattern of questions. So my question here is does the Scrooge McDuck’s policy of “Work Smarter not Harder” work in the long run ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Short answer

Long answer with blah-blah philosophy ..
    Every one prioritize the thing they are going to do. For some of them it's topping class/university, getting 1st grade and for others survive the next exam.
    Give yourself a present when you achieved the target even in mid-sem exams (doesn't matter you copied your friends answer), and off-course no one target to get failed.
    Giving a party/present to yourself, will boost up confidence that you can achieve the goals which you promised for you.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If students are planning on day-long study sessions - I think a little jog in the morning and evening should get the blood running in your brains.
    Plus, it can relax your body muscles and keep you feeling enthusiastic about the work.
    Those who are going to study with gaps can make some room for a timetable and set small achievable target with every topic.

Making notes that have just the key points and looking at them at the end of a long day can also help quickly remember things.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Ankita Katdare
    Making notes that have just the key points and looking at them at the end of a long day can also help quickly remember things.
    This was the process that saved me in the last two years of engineering.
  • Karishma Manwani
    Karishma Manwani
    No Fundas Help 😛
    You should feel like studying ! That's it
    You have to make up your Mind that I wanna do it and please Stop Thinking and START right away !
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I guess this is something related to 'interest'. In my case, I study thoroughly subjects which I love (Mathematics, Basic/Advanced Electronics, Digital Electronics, Microprocessors/Microcontrollers, etc.) For rest other subjects which are related to communication like Electronics communication, Digital communication, Antenna,etc. I study before 5 days of exam, because it doesn't interests me at all. I do it just for sake of result.
    If a project/work/subject doesn't interests me, I procrastinate. And I keep procrastinating to the day that if I won't work on it, the outcome maybe disappointing.

I am not a smart guy, hence I don't do smart work. My only purpose is to learn each & everything of 'Integrated/Embedded Electronics'. I really don't care about 'Communication Electronics'.
    Sadly, there ain't any branch like 'Electronics & Computer Engineering' where they teach Integrated Electronics & Unix based system/embedded programming altogether.

However, there are times, when my motivation to study hard is :
    cream

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It may sound like a science fiction but with the support from National Science Foundation (NSF), Bio-medical engineer Bin He and his team at the University Of Minnesota have created...
hey guys anyone seeing my post please reply.. i couldnt find any place to post my queries or threads. just show me the option where i can post..
On CrazyEngineers, every member can follow other member. We believe we should add more usefulness to the feature. How do you like the idea of receiving a notification / alert...
Microsoft has launched the new Windows Phone 8 called the Nokia Lumia Icon. Priced at $199, the phone will start selling in the U.S. from February 20. Available in black...
Hello, I'm making tutorials on XHTML and CSS Here is the first one ! 1) Overview and Downloading Text Editor In this tutorial we'll take an overview of different languages...