How to get better mileage out of every liter of Petrol?

I could not think about any other place to ask this question when my friend & I discussed this question last night 😁 !

I own a jeep & I love it! It does around 12 Km./liter. Is there a way to make it do 15? ;-)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crook
    I could not think about any other place to ask this question when my friend & I discussed this question last night 😁 !

I own a jeep & I love it! It does around 12 Km./liter. Is there a way to make it do 15? ;-)
    :music:You are on the way to change the way mankind lives, crook! I'm sure everyone wants to know. Automobile Engineers! Spring up into action please! 😁

-The Big K-
  • akravikanth
    akravikanth
    crook

I know only one way, ride upto 12 km.. and for the remaining 3 km, just walk or push the jeep with your bare hand until you complete 15 KM 😁
  • crook
    crook
    akravikanth
    I know only one way, ride upto 12 km.. and for the remaining 3 km, just walk or push the jeep with your bare hand until you complete 15 KM 😁
    you didn't get my point 😁 it seems...

is there any other way?
  • devesh
    devesh
    there is surely some way to increase the mileage out of every litre of petrol.
    but you didn't defined that the average of your jeep you told us is maximum average(or the average 'on road' claimed by the company) or that is the reduced average.
    if that is the reduced average then it can be increased by proper and timely servicing n maintainence and try to keep it single handed.

on the other hand,if you are talking about the max avg. then it can also be increased but then your jeep's engine will get weaker and will have a shorter life span.just contact your nearest service center.

the other solution is that instead of using petrol, you can rely on CNG or LPG
    cylinders to drive out more mileage.but beware, u have to get a licensed LPG or CNG cyinder to fit it your jeep.however, this option could be dangerous as well........
  • aElien
    aElien
    Ive heard tuning your engines increases your milaage but puts more stress on your engine? sorry i ride a bicycle 😁

Also you could work to reduce the weight of your jeep. Replace all the heavy steel exteriors and unimportant metal interiors. Dunno how much that will make a difference.

Also, a jeep really sucks at aerodynamics, remodel the body of your jeep ? πŸ˜›

Also, tyres and so many other things play an important role. ask any automobile mag junkie, lot of theory on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agreed.

Aerodynamic design & changing the shape of tyres may do something but can we do something on the engine front? πŸ˜€

I'm not an automobile engineer, but would certainly like to know what does "Engine Tuning" mean? (I've the basic idea, of course )

-The Big K-
  • vik11
    vik11
    The ideal ratio of air:fuel mixture is 14:1 parts i.e 14parts of oxygen to 1 part of fuel.So check if the ratio is proper.This ratio is neccesary for a good fuel efficiency.Check the carburetor for this.It can be done by showing any local mechanic.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vik11
    The ideal ratio of air:fuel mixture is 14:1 parts i.e 14parts of oxygen to 1 part of fuel.So check if the ratio is proper.This ratio is neccesary for a good fuel efficiency.Check the carburetor for this.It can be done by showing any local mechanic.
    Hi Vik11 πŸ˜€

Last time I took my motorcycle to the mechanic, he did turn few screws here & there. I don't want to be clueless about what he did with my bike 😁 . Can carburetor tweaks give us the 14:1 ratio? If yes, please tell us how.

Btw, what's the deal with 14:1? ( Can't ignore bike related stuff anymore 😁 )

-The Big K-
  • vik11
    vik11
    There are a lot of things to be checked.A carburetor consists of nearly 25 parts.So there's a lot to check and i cant pen down each n everything.I hope you understand....πŸ˜‰
    one important thing is that check for leaks in screws i.e screws should be fastened properly,so that air doesn't escape,which reduces the quality of the mixture.
    14:1 is a ratio of air to fuel.i guess you understand ratio!!πŸ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vik11
    There are a lot of things to be checked.A carburetor consists of nearly 25 parts.So there's a lot to check and i cant pen down each n everything.I hope you understand....πŸ˜‰
    one important thing is that check for leaks in screws i.e screws should be fastened properly,so that air doesn't escape,which reduces the quality of the mixture.
    14:1 is a ratio of air to fuel.i guess you understand ratio!!πŸ˜’
    Thanks for that 😁

I do understand ratios. I'm interested in knowing "Why 14:1" and not "12:1", like that.

Keep Posting!

-The Big K-
  • vik11
    vik11
    Sorry i made a mistake.The ratio is not 14:1 but it is 14.7:1.
    There are 3 types of mixtures.
    1-rich mixture which is less than 14.7:1.
    2-Ideal mixture which is 14.7:1
    3-Lean mixture which is more than 14.7:1
    In the 1st and 3rd case both result in excess pollution
    In the second case,less pollution is caused,hence the second case is the best for us.
    But in 2nd case a lot of heat is produced on greater loading,i.e when lot of power is developed,where as its not the same in 1st and 3rd case.So most light weight automobiles use the mixture as in 2nd case.Where as heavy vehicles use the mixture as in 1st ans 3rd case as the combustion process takes place at a cooler level.
    I hope your doubt is clear.If anything else...ask!!!😁
  • Anil Pachpande
    Anil Pachpande
    Mileage can be improved by following good driving practices. Good practices, for example:- Not raising accelator while operating clutch, Avoiding sudden speeding up of vehicle, Optimising usage of air-condition system in cars etc etc...
    Also,
    We can think of using superior grades of petrol... like high octane number grades..
    This can help in improving mileage.
  • Newmanite
    Newmanite
    Change your tyre width to a thinner width which limits the amount of road contact you have. Keep the same r.p.m. at desired speed dont over rev ya car get a cold air intake and "Hyclone" and most importantly pump up ya tyres😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Newmanite
    Change your tyre width to a thinner width which limits the amount of road contact you have. Keep the same r.p.m. at desired speed dont over rev ya car get a cold air intake and "Hyclone" and most importantly pump up ya tyres😁
    How would reducing tyre width affect the mileage? Friction is not a function of the contact area, right?

-The Big K-
  • Newmanite
    Newmanite
    Its about drag...or the coeffiecent of(did I spell that right?)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This maybe a misfit here πŸ˜• ! Biggie dare you touch this thread πŸ˜‰ Here is the problem: We have a 10 meter long queue of soldiers. The queue walked...
There is so much to read & having a good reading speed helps. I'm sure this thread will have many tips & tricks which will help us improve our reading...
Online courses from IIT The IITs have taken up an initiative of starting online teaching and thus have started offering course materials online for every engineering stream. -Many professors from...
This small book (it has only 58 pages!) is by the founder of Tripod.com - Bo Peabody. The book talks about secrets to entrepreneurial life. I enjoyed reading the book...
I think November-December is the peak time for GRE Takers. Can we start collecting information about colleges & courses offered? We can even form groups of students applying to the...