How to get a job in Big Data?

Hi,

My sister is having an experience of around 10 years in mainframe technology. She has recently moved to Canada but because of scarcity of mainframe opportunities there, she wants to switch her technology to BIG Data which is quite an emerging technology.
Could you please tell me that how are the prospects for getting a job in big data for a beginner in Canada.
Also it could be great if you could tell me ways she can prepare for Big data like some website or tutorials and the time she needs to spend to crack an interview ?

Please advise regarding this.

Also please let me know if you think that this is not a good idea or you think that she should think about some other technology.
Please give your reviews.

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    From what I am reading, according to some predictions - the need to control 'big data' will create 1.9 million direct IT jobs in the U.S. through 2015. The other side of the story, however is, there is only enough talent available to fill one third of them.
    Therefore, I think Big Data is definitely an option worth considering.

Any firm working on Big Data, will prefer computer science graduates who have knowledge in certain advanced courses such as multivariate regression and statistical programming. There's no doubt that the companies shall provide intensive training to all the newcomers.

One has to understand that - Big data isn't a totally new suite of tools that people can get trained into. It is instead a new organizational reality that everyone will need to adjust to occupationally.

You can ask your sister to enroll in a few online courses here -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Recently in Jan 2014, MIT introduced another great course in Big Data.
    Check it out here - #-Link-Snipped-#

I hope this answers at least a part of your questions. Feel free to ask further.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Big Data is about managing huge amounts of data. For example; companies like Facebook and Google have to manage HUGE amount of data efficiently and the technologies used for management are varied. Anyone looking to start a career in Big Data should take a starter course in Big Data - and I'm sure there are several tutorials available on the Internet to do that.

For an engineer from the Mainframes background; I think multiple opportunities would be available in the migration projects. It all depends on the opportunities available in Canada. Understand that Big Data isn't a new 'technology' per se; but it's a name given to collective tools and techniques deployed to manage big data - it includes everything from electronics to writing efficient algorithms to networking, hardware and maintenance.

The best way to go about it is to start looking for job opportunities that operate big data and then check for what skill-set they are looking for. I'd recommend having an exposure to Hadoop, Scaling Databases and overall concepts used in Big Data management.

I hope this gets you started. If you have specific questions; feel free to ask.
  • Abhishek2507
    Abhishek2507
    Thanks Ankita and Kaustubh for your valuable suggestions 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently, Microsoft announced the release of Windows Phone 8.1 on the Windows Phone blog. This new update boasts of a number of impressive features which will surely make a user’s...
App tool seo firefox? app check seo good?
Festo, the German industrial control and automation experts, have come up with a new piece of innovation in the form of BionicKangaroo - a robotic system that mimics a real-life...
CrazyEngineers survives on the content shared by each one of you - which attracts visitors to the site. We display advertisements to the visitors (and not to the logged in...
Folks behind the Vine app have revealed a new feature for its users by introducing Vine Messages in its latest update for iOS and Android. If you install the Vine...