How to drive an interview in your favor?

People who faced 2-3 interviews in their life will always give you advice that it is in the hands of the candidate to to drive the interview in their favor.
Simply put, it means you answer the first few questions in such a way that in the rest of the interview the interviewer is compelled to ask you questions that you have answers too.

This won't ever work with technical interviews, but when preparing for HR or management interviews - a lot of people would want to try that.

What do you think people? What are your ideas, tricks and tips for our friends?

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Businesses require skills - technical and communication. If a person is good in other soft skills - it's a good-to-have but not must-have. If you are skilled and are not borderline criminal case, company will hire you.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Totally agree with you @#-Link-Snipped-#

How does one go about preparing for a management/HR interview such that they ask you questions about the topics you love instead of topics they love?

For example - Highlighting the extra-curricular activities on your Resume that you can talk confidently about and avoiding mentioning the small workshop you attended that you have only little knowledge about.

Such kind of tips from engineers here can come in handy for freshers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    From my own experience - it's possible to do that; but you've to be extremely good at holding conversations! The safest strategy is to be calm and cool and be well informed. Ultimately, most hiring decisions are made on the basis of personal opinions of the interviewer about the candidate being interviewed.

There are ways to turn interviews in your favour:-

1. An interview is a discussion and not a 'question/answer' session, in my opinion. However, it's mostly conducted in "I ask - You answer" format. That's okay. The key here is to turn your answer into a discussion.

For example - if the interviewer is asking questions about your past project; you may begin answering and narrate a few incidences on how you did things differently or achieved success as a team or even talk about the mistakes you and your team did - and how you evolved. Most of the times, that may lead to the discussion.

2. Swiftly switching over to the areas which are your strong points. Of course, you should make it 'naturally' and obviously not overdo it. For example, if you are being grilled on a specific domain which is not your forte; you may use examples from your past projects or academics that connects with your strong points.

There's no clear or well set way to do this and you should only do it when you're confident of your conversation skills.

I've seen people do that on many occasions.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Smooth talkers will definitely have an edge over others. Freshers can practice doing that in groups. When you don't want them to talk about your low points, when they ask you about your low points - embed your high points in the answer in a way that they are curious and interested about knowing more about your forte from your mouth. 😀

Like Biggie said, there is no correct or easy method. But if you give a direction to your thinking process for an interview preparation, some good ideas will come to you.
  • Chirayu Samarth
    Chirayu Samarth
    Just be yourself and a true to yourself...😉
  • guptas.sneha
    guptas.sneha
    An interview is in already in your favor if you have the desired technical skills, analytic skills, interpersonal skills, social skills and leadership skills. The most efficient way of driving the interview in your favor is to know the company , do a little homework and know your company well, answer politely even if there is a clash of opinion, try to prove your point with examples instead of being violent and rude..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Great points all of you.
    But I think my point of discussion is lost. Looks like, "driving an interview in your favor" isn't such a common phenomena after all.
    Candidates tend to be guided by the interviewer all the time. 😀
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Ankita Katdare
    Great points all of you.
    But I think my point of discussion is lost. Looks like, "driving an interview in your favor" isn't such a common phenomena after all.
    Candidates tend to be guided by the interviewer all the time. 😀
    The interviewer knows what he's looking for when he's hiring. So it's impossible for the candidate to drive the process.
  • hinesh
    hinesh
    "Driving an interview in your favor",
    I would agree with moderators discussion..

In my exp.
    First be aware for post and company that you're going for interview.
    that will help a lot during interview. And BE PREPARED FOR QUESTIONS ON YOUR PROJECTS WRITTEN IN YOUR RESUME.

As Big-k Said that we should give hints of our strong points in answer.

I've also attended 5-6 technical interviews , I would say first 2 was not good( As I am thinking for my mistakes.. ) . But than I learned that some time interviewer may ask for questions where he/she is strong or will concentrate to points suitable with your profile. I've also did swiftly drawn interview to my strong points at some level.

like, If you were asked for your part or contribution in final project,

You can say , have handled coding( If you're coder, and going for coding job)
    Or can say, Handled management, reports, Testing (Suitable with you ).

Your answer (in favor with your interest) will make interviewers ask more question on that.

As said, There is no rules written for sure shot success. As suggestion, Familiar with company background, post appearing, your strong points, will help you lot.
  • benkelly
    benkelly
    I think what you can do is selfconfident
    believe in yourself then you can drive it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

EQUILIBRIO 2K14 DAY 2 23 Jan. 2014 Today Equilibrio came in its form. The whole campus was crowded with people enjoying the events and moving from one place to another...
I'm wondering what will be the official name of the next Android, aka Android 5.0? Here's the historical names of various versions of Android - Cupcake (1.5) Donut (1.6) Eclair...
I personally look forward to the launch of Motorola Moto G phone in India. I've had bad experience with Motorola's customer care several years ago; but I'm sure the company...
Jolla once revealed that Sailfish OS will be available for Android devices, to entice developers to comeup with native apps for Sailfish OS. One months back, we saw a tweet...
Is there any CEan out here who is as fond of Oculus Rift as I am ? This hardware is in my wishlist fo' sure! ​Write your opinion/criticism below in...