How to download OSX Yosemite Public Beta?

I've been trying to download the public beta (non-developer) license of OSX Yosemite, which Apple announced just a few hours ago at WWDC 2014. Apple said that the preview will be available on link #-Link-Snipped-# , however, I see OSX Mavericks on that link. There's no way to access the download.

If anyone of you has successfully downloaded the new OSX, please let me know how to download it. Can't wait to try out all the new things in OSX 10.0 ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Turns out that the actual link to download the public beta is different. A little searching and reading on the Internet lead me to this link: https://Apple Beta Software Program - which is the official page for all non-developers to sign up for the OSX Beta program. I just signed up and it says that I'll receive a notification as soon as OSX Yosemite is available for download.

Once the software is ready, Apple will send a redemption code for the App Store. After entering the code, the App Store will show the latest OSX beta which you can download and test your machine. As it goes for every beta program, you'll have to deal with bugs and there won't be any official support provided. So try it out on your own risk.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Hello. I signed up to see if you've received your email to install the community beta yet. I and 2 of my friends have not.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    Hello. I signed up to see if you've received your email to install the community beta yet. I and 2 of my friends have not.
    Not yet. Have the started rolling out the invites to the non-developers?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not yet. Have the started rolling out the invites to the non-developers?
    I've been contacting the Developer department, and now they are saying they aren't responsible for beta software. A few people told be the emails for non-developers were being sent out in cycles, and other people like on the Apple support etc, have told me the emails have not been sent out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    I've been contacting the Developer department, and now they are saying they aren't responsible for beta software. A few people told be the emails for non-developers were being sent out in cycles, and other people like on the Apple support etc, have told me the emails have not been sent out.
    I remember reading somewhere that the public beta download codes for App Store will be rolled out starting 22nd June. I'll just wait and watch. I was wondering if I should download it from a torrent site; but then decided against it.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember reading somewhere that the public beta download codes for App Store will be rolled out starting 22nd June. I'll just wait and watch. I was wondering if I should download it from a torrent site; but then decided against it.
    I will admit I did just that. I know of the website that it's the legit Yosemite beta, however you don't get the Feedback Assistant feature.

Oh now I can edit my post, not instantly. Anyways, one Apple rep told me that right when sign ups began, they were bombarded with signups, well over 1 million, so I guess no one truly knows if they got in or not.

I was going to keep my torrented version of Yosemite, but it's really not worth it unless you can report issues.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    It's irritating my friends and I that Apple has not sent the emails out yet. I have always wanted to help them and be a beta tester, and this is my chance, although technically I've wanted to beta test devices in hand, but I was told they don't do that often.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Your best bet is to request a free developer account for year and report few show stoppers. I doubt Apple will give away a free account though.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Your best bet is to request a free developer account for year and report few show stoppers. I doubt Apple will give away a free account though.
    I did not know I could request a free account for a year. But I'm almost positive I'll have to put a credit card down for after that year ends. But yeah Apple I doubt would give a free account to anyone.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Hello again. I received Mavericks seed update, and I was told that is supposed to be received. I deleted Yosemite off my system as it's not the official beta to submit issues. I reinstalled Mavericks today, my app store preferences says I will receive seed beta updates. I received the Mavericks 10.9.4 seed update earlier after reinstalling Mavericks. I hope maybe you're right about tomorrow getting Yosemite beta.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm currently on 10.9.3 and I don't see anything in the App Store updates. It looks like there aren't any major changes in the 10.9.4 version. I'll just wait till they release the Yosemite public beta.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    What I'm saying is Apple told me that the Mavericks 10.9.4 Seed a Update I got is a good thing. Maybe something will occur on Sunday!
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    The Mavericks seed 10.9.4 build 13E19 included Feedback Assistant. I clicked on it and it had me update it to be compatible with Yosemite. But as of now no Yosemite beta for me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No luck for me, yet. I'm pretty sure I'm in the first million people who applied for the public beta program. Where are all the mac users on CE?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No luck for me, yet. I'm pretty sure I'm in the first million people who applied for the public beta program. Where are all the mac users on CE?
    It's upsetting! It should be available to us soon as they plan to release it in full in the fall.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, I'm still to receive the notification for Yosemite Public Beta download. Wondering whether anyone here at CE has received an invite or notification in the App store?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, I'm still to receive the notification for Yosemite Public Beta download. Wondering whether anyone here at CE has received an invite or notification in the App store?
    How do you for certain know that you're to receive the public beta? I was told the system was overloaded with sign ups when the website came back up to allow people to sign up. But anyways, I have not received an invite or any notification in the App Store. However, it should be close because today they released OS X 10.9.4 to us.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I was among the first million people to sign up for it. This message comes from OSX 10.9.4. Hoping for something to pop-up that has 'Yosemite' written somewhere ๐Ÿ˜
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I was among the first million people to sign up for it. This message comes from OSX 10.9.4. Hoping for something to pop-up that has 'Yosemite' written somewhere ๐Ÿ˜
    I am as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be soon. OS X was in beta for a while and is now here. Now we should get OS X Yosemite Beta.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Still no Yosemite public beta email. I was told they were already sent out. HMM!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    Still no Yosemite public beta email. I was told they were already sent out. HMM!
    No mail to me either. Looks like we missed the bus. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No mail to me either. Looks like we missed the bus. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    Nope, you haven't.
    You can pay $99 & register as developer account, Or D-I-Y : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nope, you haven't.
    You can pay $99 & register as developer account, Or D-I-Y : #-Link-Snipped-#
    I am definitely not paying $99 for a developer account. I am no developer. A for the D-I-Y, I tried that but it doesn't come with the feedback assistant.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just can't believe there are a million people faster than I; who signed up for the public beta. Or Apple only meant '1' not '1 million'.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just can't believe there are a million people faster than I; who signed up for the public beta. Or Apple only meant '1' not '1 million'.
    I don't believe that we missed the bus. There had to be a catch. My friends and I signed up immediately when the site came back.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    I don't believe that we missed the bus. There had to be a catch. My friends and I signed up immediately when the site came back.
    ...and I had signed up even before the site went down! ๐Ÿ˜จ Maybe the roll-out is country wise?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and I had signed up even before the site went down! ๐Ÿ˜จ Maybe the roll-out is country wise?
    I don't have a clue. I was told emails have been sent out already. I am in the U.S. What is strange is I am not a developer, but the other day I got a developer preview of Safari update.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay people! The public beta of OSX Yosemite will be released TOMORROW! Can't wait to see it running on my iMac. My MacBook Air is currently being treated at the Apple service center. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay people! The public beta of OSX Yosemite will be released TOMORROW! Can't wait to see it running on my iMac. My MacBook Air is currently being treated at the Apple service center. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    Will we receive that supposed "email" ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    Will we receive that supposed "email" ?
    A ditect notification in the app store, I guess.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A ditect notification in the app store, I guess.
    At midnight?? I sure hope so!!! How did you find this out?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    At midnight?? I sure hope so!!! How did you find this out?
    Engadget wrote big post about it.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Engadget wrote big post about it.
    I still don't have it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Neither do I. Looks like we will have to wait a few more hours.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Neither do I. Looks like we will have to wait a few more hours.
    Apple Beta Software Program

It's ready, sign in, go down and click redemption code, it'll then take you to app store and begin installing it. I'm doing it on my main computer because it's my only computer.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898

It's ready, sign in, go down and click redemption code, it'll then take you to app store and begin installing it. I'm doing it on my main computer because it's my only computer.
    Sounds good. My air is at the service center. Will install it on the iMac. Let me know how it worked out on your system? Any major issues or data loss reported by anyone?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898

Sounds good. My air is at the service center. Will install it on the iMac. Let me know how it worked out on your system? Any major issues or data loss reported by anyone?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yahoo Messenger doesn't work on it. The only issue I've seen that others have noticed as well is when the computer locks, and you go to get back on, the screen stays black blurred for a minute before going to login screen.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    Yahoo Messenger doesn't work on it. The only issue I've seen that others have noticed as well is when the computer locks, and you go to get back on, the screen stays black blurred for a minute before going to login screen.
    The screen going black after you recover from sleep or lock state is exactly why my Air is in the service center. You gotta check it with the local Apple Store. They're replacing the entire logic board in my machine.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The screen going black after you recover from sleep or lock state is exactly why my Air is in the service center. You gotta check it with the local Apple Store. They're replacing the entire logic board in my machine.
    It doesn't happen anymore. Only once. But I'm hearing it happen to others due to Yosemite.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    It doesn't happen anymore. Only once. But I'm hearing it happen to others due to Yosemite.
    Okay, good for you. The download speed on my machine seems to be pathetically slow. Will try it out later. A bit nervous about installing it on my main machine.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, good for you. The download speed on my machine seems to be pathetically slow. Will try it out later. A bit nervous about installing it on my main machine.
    Hmm I wouldn't be so worried. I mean I'm so used to betas now. People are warning others and of course Apple is, to not install it on your main computer due to its a beta. But it's all good. I'm enjoying what I know of Yosemite or remember. All is well for now. I'm upset that Yahoo Messenger doesn't work on it though. Do you know any alternative app?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - There's one messaging app that rules app - and it works with Yahoo too. It's called Adium. I never went back to any other app.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - There's one messaging app that rules app - and it works with Yahoo too. It's called Adium. I never went back to any other app.
    I tried it. It's not connecting to my Yahoo account. Help?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    I tried it. It's not connecting to my Yahoo account. Help?
    Maybe an issue with the messenger service itself? Check if it's working on other machines. Just tried connecting to one of my Old yahoo accounts and it's working absolutely fine. Did you add your Yahoo credentials properly? You'll have to add them from Adium -> Preferences -> Accounts -> "+" -> Yahoo ...
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe an issue with the messenger service itself? Check if it's working on other machines. Just tried connecting to one of my Old yahoo accounts and it's working absolutely fine. Did you add your Yahoo credentials properly? You'll have to add them from Adium -> Preferences -> Accounts -> "+" -> Yahoo ...
    I'm trying two yahoo accounts. It keeps saying reconnecting. I don't have other computers. Let me try rebooting.

Yeah I don't know. It's just saying reconnecting.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Do you know how do I show the open tabs all the time (the tabs bar) below the search box in Safari 8? It's too annoying to click "Show All Tabs" button all the time to see which tabs are open. It's keeping me away from using Safari as my default browser.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Do you know how do I show the open tabs all the time (the tabs bar) below the search box in Safari 8? It's too annoying to click "Show All Tabs" button all the time to see which tabs are open. It's keeping me away from using Safari as my default browser.
    Which browser are you using? You should be able to still see all tabs on other browsers. I use Safari and or Chrome.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    Which browser are you using? You should be able to still see all tabs on other browsers. I use Safari and or Chrome.
    Chrome shows all the open tabs in the tab-bar, above the URL/Search box. But in Safari 8, I see no option to view all the tabs so that I can quickly navigate. I'm forced to click on 'Show All Tabs' button to view all the tabs that are open.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Chrome shows all the open tabs in the tab-bar, above the URL/Search box. But in Safari 8, I see no option to view all the tabs so that I can quickly navigate. I'm forced to click on 'Show All Tabs' button to view all the tabs that are open.
    To see all your tabs at once on the screen, click the double square box at the top right of Safari.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    To see all your tabs at once on the screen, click the double square box at the top right of Safari.
    I think I didn't describe my query well. Clicking on the double-square box is something that I'm trying to avoid. I want the tabs-bar to show all the open tabs side by side, like in Chrome and earlier versions of Safari. โ˜•
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think I didn't describe my query well. Clicking on the double-square box is something that I'm trying to avoid. I want the tabs-bar to show all the open tabs side by side, like in Chrome and earlier versions of Safari. โ˜•
    I'm not sure then. I myself would either click the double box or just see my tabs I have under the search bar. That doesn't go away for as long as I have "View Tab Bar" selected.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    I'm not sure then. I myself would either click the double box or just see my tabs I have under the search bar. That doesn't go away for as long as I have "View Tab Bar" selected.
    How about Chrome style tabs at the top? You can quickly click on any open tab to view the content.

Even the 'View Tab Bar' does not show anything on my install. Is something missing?
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How about Chrome style tabs at the top? You can quickly click on any open tab to view the content.

Even the 'View Tab Bar' does not show anything on my install. Is something missing?
    You don't have a tab bar on your Safari and you don't have the view tab bar option?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Peep898
    You don't have a tab bar on your Safari and you don't have the view tab bar option?
    Alright Captain! We've got a fix here; and it's the mother of all fixes - called 'Reboot'.

A simple reboot restored the tab-bar and Safari is on the way of becoming my more preferred browser. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright Captain! We've got a fix here; and it's the mother of all fixes - called 'Reboot'.

A simple reboot restored the tab-bar and Safari is on the way of becoming my more preferred browser. ๐Ÿ˜€
    A reboot of the computer or Safari? Either way, that's odd.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MoneyMaker79
    A reboot of the computer or Safari? Either way, that's odd.
    Computer. Yeah - that's what works most of the times. At least it worked in my case.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Computer. Yeah - that's what works most of the times. At least it worked in my case.
    Yep. Just like the iPhone and the good ol' respring. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The next time you fall sick and need a thermometer to measure the temperature you will be able to tell it 3 times more accurately than what the best thermometers...
I'm wondering which iMac and Macbook machines will be able to run the OSX Yosemite. Given that the major improvements are on the GUI front and the new features may...
A little bit about myself. I currently work as an engineer for the Illinois Department of Transportation. Graduated college back in 06, went into law enforcement, quit that after a...
Apple has announced Yosemite, the new version of OS X at the Worldwide Developers Conference yesterday evening. The new refined design of the OS X Yosemite seems to be inspired...
A new software called 'idTRACKER' has been developed by a team of researchers from Cajal Institute, a neuroscience research center assigned to the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). Based on some...