How to decode Email header ?

Hi I want to know that is there a way to decode an e-mail header to find out who or from where that email have sent. thanks

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yugal kishore
    Hi I want to know that is there a way to decode an e-mail header to find out who or from where that email have sent. thanks
    The email header will tell you some information as the host from which the email has actually originated. Take a look at this sample header -

Email-Header

Look at the information it reveals -

1. Exact date and time at which the email was initiated.
    2. Correct delivery address
    3. IP address of the sender - this can further reveal more information.
    4. Information about the MTA, Unique ID of the message
    5. Unique ID of the email
    6. Which email client was used to send the email - MS office outlook (and build number)

and so on. Most of the times you may use the email header information to track whether the recipient is indeed the one that is authorised 'sender'. It's easy to fake sender email 'domain' but the email header will reveal all the information.

Does that answer your questions?
  • yugal kishore
    yugal kishore
    you r right but using IP of mail header i cannot reach sender location.this this static IP of service provider How can reach exact location and get MAC address of that computer as investigation agency do.?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yugal kishore
    you r right but using IP of mail header i cannot reach sender location.this this static IP of service provider How can reach exact location and get MAC address of that computer as investigation agency do.?
    This seems more like you want to set your own hacking hub 😛
    But no offence buddy do tell your motive for us to help you as we don;t want any problems here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agili - You've just copy-pasted content from Wikipedia. It doesn't add any value to the discussions because we all know what emails are.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    Conqueror
    This seems more like you want to set your own hacking hub 😛
    But no offence buddy do tell your motive for us to help you as we don;t want any problems here.
    hey I m also interested to know how .some one can reach your place by email. yugal kishore is right that email header provide few information. if u knows something then tell me also please
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    this website also provide to trace email header to some extent .simply copy paste your header and you will get useful information
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • poganinja
    poganinja
    yugal kishore

Hi yes you can easily find out from where you have received email just by tracing ip address of that email ...You can easily trace the ip address from e-mail id using sites like #-Link-Snipped-# here they help you to track the ip address from the e-mail header .If you have received any mail from them then just copy the e-mail header from the received mail and paste it in the text box found in tha above site which i posted here .Then they display the Ip address of the e-mail sender along with information like country ,ISP name .IF you need to get exact location of that ip user then visit IP-Details: Your IP Address here they are providing ip search tool .Just by giving the ip address to them they will display the ISP address ,country ,network name and so on using this details you can contact the ISP provider and get details about that particular user.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I don't think it is really possible to track exact user location based on IP

For eg , the above mentioned link is giving my current location is Noida but my location right now is Ferozepur, Indo Pak Border (Quite far from Noida)

As far as Investigation agency are concerned, then there ISP plays a are very crucial role
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    yugal kishore
    If you are an investigation agencies, you'll have access to ISPs switches logs which you can use to find out the origin IP.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IIT Kanpur's popular Annual Festival 'TechKriti 2013' is coming again between 14th to 17th March 2013 with a bang. The word Techkriti coined as a combination of words - Technical...
Here , I have found a link which listed the list of all scam websites which says that you can earn money online for free. I have read about a...
hi,can u just list out the civil softwares which are very useful and which are predominantly used by civil engineers for all kinds of civil works
The best example for such a gear box is the gear box used in all modern cars. now as far as automobile gearboxes are concerned, 1) does the reverse gear...
This happened in my engineering college. Did it happen in yours?