how to create shortcut on desktop for shutdown

Hi all,

Can anyone help me to create a shortcut on desktop for shutdown?

I hv already tried to make it from system file %shutdown.exe%. but it is not working but shortcut of logoff from there is working.. why???
😕

Replies

• vishalhak
    vishalhak
    Vinay, Here's your answer
    goto c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -> create a shortcut of this file on desktop ->goto the shortcut's properties ->edit its target as follows
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe" -s -t 00 (do not eliminate the quotes)
  • engineer_vinay
    engineer_vinay
    Hi Vishal,

Thanks for ur reply but my problem is still here , when creating shortcut as per ur sugestion. but it is not goind to shut down?

Pls??
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Amazing!!!!!!!!

I will try this myself, and let you know, not prommising, but awesome Q! 😀
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    have you edited its target as mentioned?
  • engineer_vinay
    engineer_vinay
    Hi vishal,

I create shortcut and then edit it's target to -s-t 00.

But it is not working.you have done it or not?
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    you don't have to delete the original target, just add -s-t 00 after the double quotes
  • er.puneet
    er.puneet
    Mr.vinay its working,

goto c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -> create a shortcut of this file on desktop ->goto the shortcut's properties ->edit its target as follows
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe" -s -t 00
  • inet2910
    inet2910
    yup...it works...and simiarly try these combinations out...using these u can make a shot cut restart icon, log off icon etc.
    -s :shuts down the PC
    -l :logs off the current user
    -t nn :indicates the duration of delay in 'nn' seconds
    -c "messagetext" :displays a message in system shutdown menu
    -f :forces any running applications to shut down
    -r :reboots the PC
  • jay_hotmail
    jay_hotmail
    Hi vinay,

The process for creating shortcut of shutdown is same as described above. "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe" -s -t 00.

Please check the folder name and drive name [C: or D: or E: etc] of your "windows".
  • engineer_vinay
    engineer_vinay
    yes , its working.

Thanks Vishal Hak.
  • krintte
    krintte
    hi go through the following steps for better performance.

1. Right-click your Dekstop Computer and select New > Shortcut from the drop down menu
    2. In the browse box type: SHUTDOWN -s -t 01, click Next
    3. Type a desired name for your shortcut, click Finish
    4. After completing this step, you should have a new shortcut on your desktop that allows you to shut down your computer by simply clicking on it.
    5. When done verify function of the shortcut by double-clicking on it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Can anyone help me in removing shutdown or logoff tabs from start menu? 😕😕
plz help me to write a program in java which acceptmarks & roll no of 2 student from user & then display higest marks
hi guys iam new crazy engineer in the ghetto....i joined this forum cz i think it is the suitable place that i can getta help..😁 iam going to do my...
can any one help to me to work this project in antenna course Design of standard broadcast antennas to achieve a specified directional pattern. The “standard broadcast” band is the...
Hey my dear CE'ans.... I m facing a small problem with my PC.It all started about a couple of months back.When my PC starts n enter into its windows XP...