How to create a torque measuring device at home.

Considering that you want to find out the maximum torque of the domestically used motors such as the motors of grinders, sewing machines , fans etc, using a practical approach at home, then how can it be done ?

any ideas ?

Replies

• white_hat
    white_hat
    We can find out torque using a electric generator type dynamometer. I think this is the most practical one.These are one type of dynamomoeters used for engine testing. If we are able to create a smaller one for measuring smaller motors.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    its simple, we know the power delivered based on present working conditions (Theoretical work done per unit time)by the machine, hence we can predict the value of torque even without using any Torque measuring devices.

Keep in mind, I am not exactly talking about rated power as when the machine gets old, its power delivering capacity may reduce.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Is this theoretical method of calculating torque, practical ?

rated voltage x rated current = torque x angular velocity

the rated voltage and current can be obtained from the motor tag. rpm can also be found in a similar way, else it can be measured by a tachometer.

the angular velocity can be calculated from the rpm , using the formula:

2x(pi)x(rpm)/60

substituting all these values in the first mentioned equation, torque can be determined.

what say ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys, Im from currently doing BE final year and pretty confused about choosing a final year project...anyways, im thinking of doing an android app,but does anyone have an idea...
Iam deeply in need of the matlab, simulink and labview softwares . but iam not finding any free download sites. can anyone please help me with the link.
WordPress has become popular content management system on the Internet and it's quite webmaster friendly. The system allows changing of URL structure with a click of a button. So if...
Nokia Here Maps App has been announced. The all new free and enhanced version of the Nokia Maps for iOS features offline modes (much needed), support for HTML5, voice-guided walking...
The first picture is of an amphibian type which can be used both in and out of water. The other pictures are of an underwater type which can swim below...