How to convert sound signals

hi. do u know how to convert sound signals to enough energy which can be used ti light up an led?

Replies

• manivannan.mv
    manivannan.mv
    hi arnab if u use transducers means it convert sound signal to electrical energy
  • gohm
    gohm
    I am guessing by your post you wish to convert sound waves into electricty generation and not merely as a triggering device. Do you have a target Db level in mind? Have you researched where current technology level is at with Db versus generation for your application? The Db level will dictate the technology application to reach your goals. For example, a fluid in a system with a diaphram could be used as a simple system with high Db levels (think ear) however low Db levels would require a different approach.
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    may i know about the basics of the magnetically coupled circuits like loosely coupled circuits, tightly coupled circuits? what is the reason for multiple peaks of amplitude in the amplitude v/s frequency diagram in the case of tightly coupled circuits.
  • sonujain
    sonujain
    hi. do u know how to convert sound signals to enough energy which can be used ti light up an led?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    we can do it by using a condensor,
    the condensor will detect the sound and convert it into the electric signal,
    this signal can be further amplified and i guess its output can light up an led!!!!😁
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    well,
    i have one daily life example for the conversion of sound energy to the electrical signal!!

we all use telephones for the transmission of our sound signals to distant places,
    the handset of our telephone system is consist of diaphgram at its transmitter side,

when sound waves strikes the diaphragm the ACOUSTICAL energy is converted into the mechanical energy in the vibration of the diaphragm,

the diaphragm is then attached with many carbon granules packed between two electrodes in a small chamber.

we know that when vibrations are applied to the diaphgram it acts as a transducer,

now in handset we have carbon granules (acts as microphone) and when the diaphragm vibrate it compressed or extend the carbon granules and

thus the electrical resistance vary as it depends on the carbon granules density!!

thus resistance of the box changes according to the vibrations of the diaphragm,

now when a DC voltage is applied to this circuitry, the variations in resistance vary or regulate the current in the circuit.

Thus in this way we convert our voice into the electric signals and transmitt them.!!!
  • nitin_sharma
    nitin_sharma
    very well nitsy..yes this is in our course ..we just read it in tele-communication .
    thats rightπŸ˜‰
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Nisty,

Thanks for using a day to day life practise in solving the issue.Guys we always forget what we use and stick to what we read & that also we forget.You know why?
    thing is we never cross check it with our day to day activity if available...Thanks again & i will suggest all to use these sorts of solving power that nisty did
  • gokulkannan
    gokulkannan
    a better way,,,,,is using microphone ,,its output voltage is proportional to input sound energy and further you can amplify it to power an led..😁
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    gokulkannan
    a better way,,,,,is using microphone ,,its output voltage is proportional to input sound energy and further you can amplify it to power an led..😁
    i think condensor mic and microphone are same thing!!!

correct me if i am wrong!!
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    just2rock
    Nisty,

Thanks for using a day to day life practise in solving the issue.Guys we always forget what we use and stick to what we read & that also we forget.You know why?
    thing is we never cross check it with our day to day activity if available...Thanks again & i will suggest all to use these sorts of solving power that nisty did
    well bro,
    I am Nitsy!!!

anyways its ok,
    and thanks a lot for supporting that illustration!!!!:smile:
  • sonujain
    sonujain
    hey nitsy i am asking that can we lightup an led throuh the energy which we convert it in to electical. mean what will be the range of electical energy ? that we get it will be sufficient to light up? pleas clear my doubt.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    sonujain
    hey nitsy i am asking that can we lightup an led throuh the energy which we convert it in to electical. mean what will be the range of electical energy ? that we get it will be sufficient to light up? pleas clear my doubt.
    yes you can light up an led using sound energy!!!!

what you have to so is simply use a condensor mic to detect the sound signals,
    the condensor mic will detect the sound and convert it into electrical signals!!!

these electrical signals can be amplified with the help of suitable amplyfier circuits,
    and the amplified output can light up an led!!!!

the above circuitry is similar to the sound detector circuit!!

in which a buzzer poduces beep whenevr a sound is made near the circuit!!
    well..if you replace the buzzer with led,
    the led will glow when ever any sound is made near to the detector circuit!!!😁

correct me if I'm wrong!!
  • nitin_sharma
    nitin_sharma
    as according to nitsy.
    you can use condenser to convert the sound to electrical energy..
    then you can use amplifier to raise its energy level..
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    hey sonu i think you must have seen a sticky cartoon type thing which is available in market at a very cheap cost which is used to stick over the cell phone,,,whenever the call is received by us the led in sticker glows for a interval...i think it is the conversion of sound energy to light but i even do have one confusion...whenever the number is dialled by us the led in the sticker also glows irrespective of any sound...if there exist any other kind of conversion too??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hello CEans!

Nice to see continuing interest in converting sound into electricity. We have various discussions here:
    [1] #-Link-Snipped-#
    [2] #-Link-Snipped-#

The main issue is the low power of sound (at least, the human voice). There is no use of amplifying it as the act of amplification requires power anyway, so the end result of lighting up the LEDs is the consequence of the power that drives the amplification and not the sound energy itself.

There might be a chance that there is sufficient energy of pressure waves (of the sound) to light up the LED without amplification, but it requires a very efficient transducer to convert virtually all the waves with minimal loss. We know that the power is proportional to the amplitude and frequency, but the human voice is limited in both regards (more so on the latter parameter).

sanks85
    hey sonu i think you must have seen a sticky cartoon type thing which is available in market at a very cheap cost which is used to stick over the cell phone,,,whenever the call is received by us the led in sticker glows for a interval...i think it is the conversion of sound energy to light but i even do have one confusion...whenever the number is dialled by us the led in the sticker also glows irrespective of any sound...if there exist any other kind of conversion too??
    The sticker is powered by electromagnetic waves of the mobile signals πŸ˜€
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    thanx ash.. but how the EM waves can be converted to light energy...i mean there is no any such transducer or converter in those stickers...
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    on seaching about this I find following procedure which may be involved for the conversion of electromagnetic radiation to electrical energy!!!

In Mobile Stickers may be a system is disclosed for converting high frequency zero point electromagnetic radiation energy to electrical energy. The system includes a pair of dielectric structures which are positioned proximal to each other and which receive incident zero point electromagnetic radiation. The volumetric sizes of the structures are selected so that they resonate at a frequency of the incident radiation. The volumetric sizes of the structures are also slightly different so that the secondary radiation emitted therefrom at resonance interfere with each other producing a beat frequency radiation which is at a much lower frequency than that of the incident radiation and which is amenable to conversion to electrical energy.
    This beat frequency radiation can be transmitted to the converter via a conductor or a waveguide and converted to the electrical energy having a desired waveform and voltage.

but I m bit confused about the size,
    is it possible to design such apparatus in small size as sticker ???πŸ˜•
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    ya i also `read this article in google but the thing is to empploy such phenomena at such small leval that too at a cheap cost sounds crazy.......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i need links to web sites that have ideas for final year project in control systems.!!πŸ˜•
plz help me out in this seminar topic .....i hve no idea abt it.....plz gve the details of it....i only knw its a extension of html,wml,xhtml... plz gve the detail...
So, Tesla worked and believed this would revolutionize the globe years ago and was basically laughed at. What does everyone think about this idea and the possibilities/effect it would have?...
Hello, I am looking for a document that explains the Logarithmic amplifier as well as their stability over temperature. Anybody can help me?
I am really undecided as to whether go for any coaching like GRE or CAT which many of my friends are going.i am in 5th semester now and i want...