How to change wordpress permalink structure without changing old URLs?

WordPress has become popular content management system on the Internet and it's quite webmaster friendly. The system allows changing of URL structure with a click of a button. So if you want search engine friendly URLs, you just have to go to the Settings -> Permalinks option and then describe the format in which you want the URLs to be formatted. I've done that before but the real challenge lies in changing the permalink structure without affecting the older links that are indexed by search engines like Google already. Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve -

Current URL: domain.com/this-is-mypost/

Let's say we have hundreds of such posts with URL formatted like that mostly /%postname%/

Now if we change this URL structure to say -

New URL: domain.com/45345/this-is-my-post/ , that is /%post_id%/%postname%/ then that changes the URL format of the old URls as well.

I'm wondering if there's a way to ensure that only new URLs are created with the new format and the old URLs remain intact.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Replies

• Harish Kotra
    Harish Kotra
    Well, Never tried with messing WordPress coding for such issues and always took care of the best URL possible while creating my blogs. But after you asked I made a quick research to see if it is possible and found something pretty much useful for what you have stated - a plugin!

It is named Advanced Permalinks - #-Link-Snipped-#

The plugin works exactly the way you needed in the requirement.

I read on a blog that it breaks the pagination of the blog. So why not try the following plugin

The Simple 301 Redirect Plugin by Scott Nelle - #-Link-Snipped-#

If you have a sitemap (which you should) – manually reindex it. You can also do this in Google webmaster tools under Optimization > Sitemaps > select sitemap > resubmit.
    Eventually, when your site gets crawled again by Google, it will fix the links. There is no determined set of time on how long it will take. Just be patient.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Good Luck 😀
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I am not a wordpress expert, but I have implemented same thing on oscommerce

Here is what i had done

Write a function in wordpress that will modify links formations and create them according to your needs

Then simply add some url rewrite rules in .htaccess

I guess this will work, not sure if in wordpress it is easy to do

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia Here Maps App has been announced. The all new free and enhanced version of the Nokia Maps for iOS features offline modes (much needed), support for HTML5, voice-guided walking...
The first picture is of an amphibian type which can be used both in and out of water. The other pictures are of an underwater type which can swim below...
Everyone has a set of friends who do this! If you do, share this with them, yo! 😀
Here's a cool way of understanding HTTP error status codes represented by CATS. You'll get everything from 404 to 431 to 500. Source: 9gag.com
There can be different scales to measure the success of business. It could be just finance based (Ex. Company did turn of X in the current financial year, so it's...