How to calibrate proximity sensor on android phone?

I'm facing this problem with the proximity sensor on my Galaxy Note II. The screen turns blank when I'm on call (the phone's near the ear) but it does not lit up (stays blank) when the phone's away. I obviously have checked the relevant settings and think that calibrating my proximity sensor would solve the problem (before I show it to the service center).

I've downloaded the phone tester app and it just keeps on waiting for the data from proximity sensor. That tells me something's definitely not working with the sensor. Does anyone know how to do the calibration properly?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If it was working properly before, then check whether your screen have any smudges or not.I suggest you to clean up your tab's face (especially around proximity sensor) & then try again.
    Proximity sensor is very sensitive to smudges (especially fingerprints), cleaning up should work.

There are plenty apps tagged with "proximity sensor", download the one which is helpful to you.
    There's an app which turns off the caliberation, but you have to manually press power button to glow back screen while on call.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : There's no smudge. That was the first thing I checked. I've cleaned the sensor area but the problem persists. I also checked the play store for proximity sensor calibration apps - but found not a single one that would fix my problem. Most of the apps are handset specific.

Currently I've switched the setting to use power button to end/reject calls. Not a good option I'd like to continue with.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Type *#*#0588#*#* , it will open the proximity test(like shown in uploaded file).Use your index finger to cover the ear part and surrounding to check whether sensor works or not.

Sorry my screen is small & not of good res ... so it might be lil blurry.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just tried that and the phone dials an 'invalid' number. ๐Ÿ˜• The dev code's not working!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    Just tried that and the phone dials an 'invalid' number. ๐Ÿ˜• The dev code's not working!
    Oh my goodness !
    Please verify number again ... It begins with *#*# & ends with #*#*.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes sire! That developer code doesn't work. ๐Ÿ˜€ The phone does not recognise that it's a developer code.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Well Sirji there is one more thing ... This is bit funny but yeah this can be the reason.
    You have long hair? I suggest you to take care that your hair doesn't interferes between sensor & ear.

Well this is hilarious but yeah hair do affect(sensor needs recoding) ! Please don't laugh ๐Ÿ˜›

Edit : Maybe you are keeping your phone too high that sensor is touching your hair ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    <-- Long hair? ๐Ÿ˜จ

I finally got the phone checked from local Samsung service center. The dude opened up my phone and cleaned up the sensor. Boa! It started working like it should! Complex problems have simple solutions. Right? I now badly want to get an electronics toolkit for myself. Might come in handy on all the products that are out of warranty.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Try this cool app.. it has option to calibrate proximity sensor.
    It may help you

#-Link-Snipped-#

EDIT: Posted twice..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I continued my search for a good app that'd help calibration of the proximity sensor in the phone. One very interesting thing I found out is that most of the apps available are phone specific. That makes me think whether the sensors used in the phones are all different and need special software to make them work or there's just no app that will work with all these sensors.

Looking forward to some information from the electronics engineering folks here. Anyone wants to shed some light on this?
  • Shubhrant
    Shubhrant
    Hii Kaustubh, i have the same problem on my NOte 2, i've tested everything, tried everything....but nothing positive so far...i think its a pure h/w problem, which can't be resolved by apps/updates or cleaning...my phone is in warranty, so i'll take the phone to the service center in one or two days, let's see if they'll solve the problem or not, i read on net that the problem arrives back after replacement of the sensors, you told above that, in your case the problem was solved by just cleaning the sensors, i hope, it also happen in my case. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : If you have silica gel, try enclosing your phone inside an airtight container along with the gel. If not, just try blowing warm air with air-dryer on-to the earphone. It may be dust - but moisture is most likely the culprit. All the best and keep us updated on what works for you.
  • yash rathod
    yash rathod
    Guyzz. A very easy solution to this problem is blow the air on the earspiece towards the proximity sensor and this would help u to get rid pf the problem. I too tried it and it worked for me ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Aman Prakash
    Aman Prakash
    Thanks Yash. Your simple solution clicked it. I was getting afraid that I will need to visit those sucky service center guys but, it solved my problem.๐Ÿ˜
  • prakash2030
    prakash2030
  • Duraikrish
    Duraikrish
    Hai .. I have to use lenovo a6000 plus with kit Kate and problem on my mobile like promity not working and touch not working some of the place in screen .. Some do calibration .. Isn't correct solution or how to calibrate my phone .. How to solve these problem
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Most solutions seen online require you to root the phone. And if you don't know how to do that, it's best that you take it to the nearest help center. Here are some of the solutions proposed. You can try them one by one and see if anything works for you.

1. Blow air in the 3.5 mm headphone jack of your phone.
    2. If you can root the phone, do that and use one of these 2 apps:
    • #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#
    3. Tap lightly on the sensor to remove the little dust there is on it.
    Test in the *#0*# test screen (dial that combination in your phone dialer to get to the test screen)

If anyone has any other solution that works, please post it below.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If anyone's found a new app that works across Android phones, please share it with us. Looks like lot of Android users are facing issues with their proximity sensors.
  • Nikhil Rao
    Nikhil Rao
    There is a app called as "Phone doctor plus " which is easily available in the play store it tests your proximity sensor and other hardware and software stuff and tells you whether its working or not.
  • Nikhil Rao
    Nikhil Rao
    there is also an app called as "proximity sensor reset" which calibrates (resets) you sensor and you will tell you to reboot if you are rooted if you are not rooted and it tells you pls do it. this usually fixes the problem of the sensor. if it dosent so then you might have it get it cleaned or maybe its a hardware problem. i tested this app works great

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The rumor is spreading on the Internet that Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be the first mega mobile phone to launch in the commercial markets with a foldtable display. The...
Code December โ€“ Coding Conference in Hyderabad from December 23-25, 2012 Venue : Hotel Shivani, Beside Khadims Showroom, Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad Start Date : Decemebr 23, 2012 End Date : December...
Lot of people I have met in the last few years, budding entrepreneurs (me included) have had brilliant ideas. But many didn't have a plan. So they didn't know where...
My self Vikash sharma, I am a Management student and a Bussiness man too.And I am very intrested in IT field.I am a biggest dreammer.
Out of 'curiosity', I decided to search whether the Curiosity rover landing on Mars is a hoax and is going the same ways as the conspiracy theories against the Apollo...