CrazyEngineers V4: Early Access

We are developing the next version of CrazyEngineers. If you wish to receive latest updates and early access, click the link below.

1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

How to calculate the points on the profile of a ZN type worm?

Question asked by Richard Watt in #Mechanical on Jan 18, 2021
Richard Watt
Richard Watt ยท Jan 18, 2021
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

I am currently working with an existing program at work which generates the grinding programs for Siemens 850DSL-based CNC machines and I need to fix an issue with the calculations for a ZN worm.

I have been able to generate the profile for the worm & the dressing disc and the actual program (SPF file) but when running this one the CNC machine, I have been encountering problems with the "straightness" of the profile flanks.

My original attempt based on fixing the existing code has an error of approximately 45 microns, but changing it to work in a similar way to the ZA type worms brings this error down to around 6.7 microns.

Does anyone have any pointers to how I would calculate the ZN worm profile - the existing code was working on the normal (N) plane, converting that to the axial/component (A) plane before calculating the wheel, dresser disc and SPF program but I am not sure this is completely correct?

I have been referring to the DIN-3975 standard as well.

If anyone has any questions for anything I have missed, please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability (I have been working on this for 18 months with little to no success).

Posted in: #Mechanical

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up