How To Answer "Why Should We Hire You?" In Interview?

Let's start the how to answer series for interviews that seems to be quite popular among the engineers on CrazyEngineers. One of the most commonly asked questions; which the students / experienced professionals prepare for is "Why Should We Hire You?". The question is always taken as a 'tricky' question, but in reality it's not at all tricky. It's a simple and straightforward question that calls for a straightforward answer from the candidate. Yet, people mess up! Yep, they do and I've had several candidates who went from being silent (to show how nice they are) to giving me totally vague answers. Let's see how to handle this question.

Why should the interviewer hire you? (and not the guy/girl who looks smarter than you)

This question is typically asked towards the end of the interview. Look at the question as an opportunity to highlight the 'plus points' of your personality that you think didn't get noticed during the interview. The best thing is that the interviewer isn't expecting a particular answer from you and there cannot be any 'right' or 'wrong' answer to the question. So use your freedom and honestly tell them why you're a better candidate.

If you're a fresh engineering graduate then you may inform the interviewer how important the job is for you (no emotional stories, please) and how your existing knowledge of your engineering discipline will help you in executing the tasks. Talk about your team-work and achievements which give you an edge over others.

If you're an experienced professional then focus on the work you've done in your previous projects and do not forget to underscore your achievements.

Overall, it makes sense to talk about the things you can justify. Merely saying that you are "honestestests and most hardworking individual ever" won't impress any interviewers. Because the candidate they interviewed before you said the same.

If you have questions, suggestions or feedback share it in response to this post.

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Awesome set of information for the freshers & experienced!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Great, useful information.
    the same question was asked to me, in my interview (both in technical as well as direct hr)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you. But above information needs to be used with caution. Be confident while 'selling' yourself to the recruiters. If you don't believe in the product (that is you), you won't be able to sell it. Imagine Steve Jobs introducing you to the world so that world goes crazy about you (even if you aren't that a great product a la istuff) ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    I answered like this.
    Started saying about company profile, then about me. lastly said how i can bond myself to that company.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks for helping us, Bigk ๐Ÿ˜€

Our previous discussions would also help us. Here are they
    - #-Link-Snipped-#
    - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    I answered like this.
    Started saying about company profile, then about me. lastly said how i can bond myself to that company.
    That's always a safe bet. When the interviewers know that you are genuinely interested in job (because you cared to read about the company, their products / services / history etc.) you'll have an edge.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi

hi im path from phillipines, i hope Ceans will help me and i will help also to the other thread
I'm stuck! The broadband connection from BSNL isn't working and I'm being forced to use the Idea 3G connection with on iPad to access CE and do the daily administrative...
If you want to impress your friends with your Google search abilities; enter the following search query in Google search bar and hit enter. sqrt(cos(x))*cos(300x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(6-x^2), -sqrt(6-x^2) from -4.5 to...
Name:Aswath Engineering Trade: Electronics and communication Location: Madurai Occupation: Unemployed Work Experience: Working hard to fill this ๐Ÿ‘ Hobbies & Interests: Playing football , hanging out with my friends ,...
In the following video, you can see Mayor Mussatto on his YikeBike. Have a look - What do you guys think about this?