How To Add RTC In Raspberry Pi ?

Computers have coin sized RTC module which keeps the correct time even when the computer is OFF. In raspberry Pi it is not added. It checks the time from internet & updates the time.

I would like to know, how can I add externel RTC for raspberry pi, if possible. so even when my RPi is turned off & restarted, the time is set without need of internet connection.

Help ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Computers use a seperate battery powering the system clock and this keeps the system time upto date even when the system is turned off

So if you can power the clock in R Pi using an external battery You will have continuous time even if you turn off your R PI
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I know that.
    I wanna know : HOW ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    -Bump-
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am not a expert but this link looks really promising

Be careful not to ruin RPI while following the steps in the link
    Wiring the RTC | Adding a Real Time Clock to Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Conqueror
    I am not a expert but this link looks really promising

Be careful not to ruin RPI while following the steps in the link
    Wiring the RTC | Adding a Real Time Clock to Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System
    This is perfect solution. #-Link-Snipped-# you need to interface external RTC which has battery backup too.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Yeah! Working on it 😁
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Yeah! Working on it 😁
    Again ! Make sure to check supply voltage for the RTC chip you are using.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are a Chrome lover and Chrome is not automatically doing updates to your browser then there can be following two reasons of the same: - Administrator has disabled...
Google’s HDMI Streaming ‘Dongle’ Chromecast managed to steal the thunder from the 2013 Nexus 7 at the launch event held last month due to its simplicity and price. Since the...
Almost every month or in probably lesser time we are seeing a new release of Chrome. Recently Google had promoted the previous 29 branch from Dev to Beta, an almost...
Michael Tremer, a developer from the ipfire.org team, officially announced the release of IPFire 2.13 Core 71, a new stable release of the popular Linux-based firewall distribution. ​ Major features...
If you are an engineer who's convinced that MBA is 'the way' to get promotions, better career, better paypack & better marriage prospects; and are already preparing for CAT 2014...