How SmaRT are You::The Famous Fly Puzzle

Two bicyclists start twenty miles apart and head toward each other, each going at a steady rate of 10 mph. At the same time a fly that travels at a steady 15 mph starts from the front wheel of the southbound bicycle and flies to the front wheel of the northbound one, then turns around and flies to the front wheel of the southbound one again, and continues in this manner till he is crushed between the two front wheels. Question: what total distance did the fly cover?....
๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In one hour with a speed of 15 mph, the fly should cover a total distance of 15 x 1 = 15 miles. โ˜•
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    what if fly speed is 25mph๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    what if fly speed is 25mph๐Ÿ˜‰
    I'm not putting any more thought into this. Am I overlooking anything obvious? ๐Ÿ˜
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    Big_K is right here....
    The slow way to find the answer is to calculate what distance the fly covers on the first,
    northbound, leg of the trip, then on the second, southbound, leg, then on the third, etc., etc., and,
    finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is to observe that the bicycles meet......
    exactly one hour after their start, so that the fly had just an hour for his travels; the answer must therefore be 15 miles.
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    i
    da_joker
    Big_K is right here....
    The slow way to find the answer is to calculate what distance the fly covers on the first,
    northbound, leg of the trip, then on the second, southbound, leg, then on the third, etc., etc., and,
    finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is to observe that the bicycles meet......
    exactly one hour after their start, so that the fly had just an hour for his travels; the answer must therefore be 15 miles.
    i tried by summing all the terms in the infinite series and ended up in total confusion and some decimal value,good thinking dude!๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, used to happen to me all the time. We try to solve the easier problems the tougher way. Try this: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    ya its very simple logic............it is 15miles.............and if the fly sped is 25mph then the ans is 25 miles..........๐Ÿ‘
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Nope..if speed would be 25mph, then number of round taken by fly will be infinite.๐Ÿ˜€
    since fly speed(25) > *bicycle relative speed (20).
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    ianoop
    Nope..if speed would be 25mph, then number of round taken by fly will be infinite.๐Ÿ˜€
    since fly speed(25) > train relative speed (20).
    it means if the speed of the fly is 30mph then also the rounds taken by it will be infinte??????
    i am not able to understand the logic in your answer..........plz explain it...........
  • Dilip jain
    Dilip jain
    ianoop
    since fly speed(25) > *bicycle relative speed (20).
    itz not infinite.....it is the speed .........coz the fly just flies as long as the bicycles meet
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Dilip jain
    itz not infinite.....it is the speed .........coz the fly just flies as long as the bicycles meet
    I think you are right... had solved this type of question long ago.. didn't remembered the process.
    but definitely number of round will be infinite.
  • Dilip jain
    Dilip jain
    hmm......i'll get back to u soonnnnn
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Dilip jain
    i agree with u.....
  • Dilip jain
    Dilip jain
    gwendollen
    i agree with u.....
    guys .........i can bet on it .....it is not "infinite"
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    There is no way that I can see for an infinite loop unless the fly was superman and actually flew fast enough to turn back time...25 miles per hour for an hour would be 25 miles covered, excepting some really off the wall physics like surface curvature creating a difference between the distance flown and the actual distance of ground between marked axis of pivotal points.
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    guys it is not infinite....remember dey just have 1 hour to move..try to some the series together....u probably get 15.....
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.......
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    Yeye, we've established the answer, we're debating variations now ๐Ÿ˜€
  • da_joker
    da_joker
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how will the world be if i am not existing.... ๐Ÿ˜
HI, it would be of great help if you suggest some innovative and simple idea in face for KVPY projects as i m in great need of your ideas...
please any one tell me the best project for ''instrumentation and measurments'' ??
According to popular business blog Trak.in, the government of India has approved 25 Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) proposals: See: https://trak.in/tags/business/2012/05/29/india-government-approves-fdi-proposals/ The total FDI comes out to be about Rs. 2974...
Dear Friends, I am Imran Mokashi from Belgaum Karnataka India. A post Graduate in Mechanical Engg and working as Assistant Professor at SCET Belgaum. Looking forward from you all. Regards,...