How should I prepare for the placements?

hi buddies... dis is my 1st post... i m a student 4m birla instiute of technology(BIT Mesra) havin just completed my first year... my trade is comp sc... 2 be frank i m a layman in d field of computers & wud like some advice 4m u guys.. i've learnt programmin in c but m not 2 satisfied wid wat i've learnt... can u tell me subjects dat need great care 4 placement purposes??? also plz tell me something bout summer training programs........

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: hello everyone...need help!!!

[Sourabh, please do not use SMS lingo while posting on CE Forums]

For placements, you will have to be thorough with the basics. That's a must. Everything else comes second. You may learn to program in C, C++, JAVA or whatever, but you'll need good logical/analytical skills. So work on them.

This is just too early to worry or even think about the placements. Enjoy your engineering days and concentrate on understanding all the subjects in depth.

I know that you did not like my advice. Yet, you can trust me. I've interviewed several final year engineering students and rejected them because they didn't know their engineering subjects well. No great expectations there - just make sure that you get your basics right.
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    The following skills are most important for an individual to get placed in a good company…
    ·Employability Skills
    ·Effective Communication Skills
    ·Soft Skills
    ·Facing an Interview.

EMPLOYABILITY SKILLS
    ØClarity on the career roadmap.
    ØCharting the career plan.
    ØNeed for employability skills.
    ØHoning employability skills.
    Knowledge + skills = Employability.
    SECRET OF SUCCESS:
    ØCommunication
    ØTeam work
    ØWorkplace knowledge.
    ØWorkplace skills.

EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS

ØForm a mental map on what to communicate.
    ØWay to communicate.
    ØClarity.
    In corporate, its always the word “WE” and not “I” symbolizing the team work.The main thing that we want to do in communication is creating “+ve impression”.
    Our communication should consist of the following components as the mixture,
    ØListening
    ØWriting
    ØVerbal
    ØNon-verbal.
    It has been found that in communication,
    Ø7% spoken words
    Ø55% non-verbal.
    Ø38% tone of voice.
    ASPECTS OF BODY LANGUAGE:
    ØGestures
    ØIndividual space
    ØEye contacts and Facial expressions
    ØTone-pitch of voice
    ØPosture
    ØDress
    SOFT SKILLS:
    ØOpen flexibility & transparent
    ØCreativity & innovation
    ØLateral thinking
    ØStay ahead on the learning curve
    ØMulti-tasking ability-ready to take additional responsibilities.
    ØStrong community and team management skills.
    ØProblem solving skills
    SOFTWARE ORIENTATION
    ØOne programming language of choice.
    ØData structures & database management
    ØAbility to understand a problem statement and write a pseudocode.

FACING AN INTERVIEW
    ØForum to display one’s view to others.
    ØStructured meting between u and the employer.
    ØInterviewing is a skill. (like riding a person).
    PURPOSE:
    ØOpportunity to market
    ØSell our strength and skills
    ØAssessing the position of the employee by the employer.
    COMPANY PROFILE PREPARATION:
    Should contain
    ØProducts
    ØBusiness
    ØCEO
    ØClients
    ØAwards and honors won recently
    TYPES OF INTERVIEWS:
    ØPhone
    ØOne-on-one
    ØPanel
    ØGroup
    We ll mostly face one-on-one and panel.
    WHAT TO DO WHEN INAPPROPRIATE QUESTS?
    If quests like
    ØHow old are u?
    ØDo u have children?
    ØWhat religion do u belong?
    Just ANSWER
    Its not related to interviewer say we can have the personal discussion outside.
    FOR UNKNOWN ANSWERS
    ØI am not familiar
    ØI am not prepared
    ØI don’t know
    ØDon’t say ‘no’
    WHAT QUEST TO ASK WHILE LEAVING?
    ØType of assignment I can look for?
    ØWhat u like most about this company?
    ØBiggest challenge facing the industry right now?
    ØSkills looking for in the position?
    ØLeave without asking rather than asking some silly or terrible question which may make to loose your job.

Source::TECH CORNER
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Vinay, where did you get all that from? 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Friendster - don't scare the new kid on the block!

I'll tell you - whatever that's written in your post *might* matter once you're working, but not required to get into a company.

All it takes to get a job (at the entry level) is being thorough with engineering subjects, politeness and little bit of communication skills.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Why do people wish to live in either in the past or think about the future and worry instead of living in the present. Dude you are in your first year, if you study all your subjects properly there won't be any problems during the placements. Stop worrying.It will take only some weeks practice to answer the trick or IQ questions that the interview may ask. And anyway they won't make you the chairman straightaway if you start preparing for the interviews now ;-). Enjoy your college life.

P.S.And tell me why placements. Will B.Tech satisfy you? Why think about a job after B.Tech? Do M.Tech or M.Sc. or any other higher degree.
  • sourabh verma
    sourabh verma
    thank you big_k. friendster did scare me but your reply made up for it. I am sorry I used sms lingos. and i think raj is right. i should look beyond b.tech. thank you guys for helping me out. now atleast for the next 2 years i will not be worrying about placements. What i need is to get the basics right and i will concentrate on them. thanks a lot.
  • sourabh verma
    sourabh verma
    Need i worry about summer trainings or that too will take care of itself???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sourabh,

You got it right. Just stop worrying and start enjoying your engineering days. Have fun and keep an eye on the industry (Keep visiting, interacting with CEans and you won't have to do anything special to know what's happening around).

As I said, concentrate on your engineering subjects. Any interviewer will want to know if you really know what you've studied for past four years (during entry level interview). So you can't afford to go wrong with that.

Summer trainings are (I guess) at the end of third year (correct me if I'm wrong). CEans have a track record of helping CEans with summer trainings. Why worry? You have CE to take care of all your problems. 😀

Have a great time here & wish you all the best.
  • sourabh verma
    sourabh verma
    Thanks Big_K . Thanks a lot.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can lightning make any harm while we are talking, using mobile phones, on us..?
Name: ShriRam Soni *Engineering Trade: Computer Engineer currently into Project Management Location: Pune, India *Occupation: Working as Project Management for Software developments Work Experience:10 years *Hobbies & Interests: Games, *Aim...
Hi....!!!! Some one interested in building simple but cooooool robots.... plz do help me....!!! I wanna get robo kits to save my hobby from being extinct....!!!! Can you suggest some....!!!...
hii.. guys I'm about to start my final year of computer science ad engineering ... I am thinking about doing a project based on ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE..or ROBOTICS.. please suggest me...
I am a newbie in this and would like to know about trading stocks where you can earn huge profits (as I have read online).I have been looking for an...