1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

How should computer science engineer interested in automobiles plan career?

Question asked by Ricky Abraham in #Career Help on Jan 10, 2019
Ricky Abraham
Ricky Abraham · Jan 10, 2019
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

i am a computer engineer too.. but my goal since kid was automobiles.. i jst cant keep myself away from automobiles.. dueto some unfortunate situations i coudnt go for automobile engineering.. and now i am about to complete my bachelors in computer but i am not much intrested in computers.. i dont know what to do with my future exactly.. plz help me to find out

Posted in: #Career Help
Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Jan 12, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

It's like I'm reading my own story. I can better understand where you are. Actually I was also interested in machines and mechanical theories. The thing which is different between us is that I love computers also. That was really a tough decision for me to choose CS as my engineering stream.

You know what, In the second year of my engineering I choose to join Efficycle team of my college. When I was on the interview phase of team selection, everyone was like what the hell you're doing here? You are from computer science stream? And I was like... So what? The interview was pretty well. I was so happy to get selected in the team as an innovation head.

After team selection, we started making the vehicle. As we had very limited time to do the work. We were doing extra time even after college timings. (From 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM ). My classmates used to taunt me for wasting my time. The politics they were playing with me was like hell. Like they were complaining to HOD to cut my sessionals because I am not present in class and etc. After all, we made the vehicle and went to the competition. We won two categories including innovation and got AIR 2 with a cash prize of about 1.25lakh. On the basis of my performance, I also got some offers from automobile projects.

I learned many things like steering, types of steering, brakes, BLDC motor functionalities, power train and many more. It was worthy for me. for my self-interest.

Now the same classmates say, 'You make us proud'. You know what, everyone will start praising you when you prove yourself. 

I want to suggest something. There is no barrier to the branch. You can do whatever you want to. Your future is in your hands. If you don't like CS, leave it. Do what you like. If you have an interest in automobiles then do something innovative or different which makes you stand out from others. Something that shows your talent and your interest. There are many companies that prefer skills and knowledge rather than a degree.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 13, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

Interesting response by Vinay. 

Ricky - you will have to look at making use of both the fields. Either look for MS courses abroad that accept computer engineers or look for a specialized course where you can learn the important parts of automobile engineering. 

Automobile engineering itself is a vast field and you will have to shorten and focus on the field that you wish to work in. 

My suggestion would be to go for computer aided design (CAD) in the mechanical field. I've a friend who's a mechanical engineer and he had to learn computers just to get into CAD. He runs his own business now. Doing pretty well. 

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up