How "People you may know" works in Facebook?

Recently, I used a cab service in Mumbai. The driver was nice, humble. I kept his contact number for future use. I do not know his full name, and am sure he does not too.

Today morning, when I logged in to FB, I got his name in "People you may know list" (I identified his with his pic). Now, my question is, how come his profile came in that list? How come FB knows, we may know each other?
when -
1. We don't have any common friends.
2. We don't share any common information (e.g. School, College etc etc)
3. We only have each other's contact numbers!

I was bit shocked when I see another person's profile in the same list. I met him in the train, when I was on my way to Odisha (My Home State). I have saved his number with his first name.

I feel curious, how come FB knows about the same and did some google and found something interesting.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Please let me know your views on this. If anyone is aware about the exact process, please make me hear the same. Thanks in advance! πŸ˜€

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    #-Link-Snipped-# quite possible that u are using some app to manage contact list, which might be connected to FB, this is the only idea which looks feasible to me 😨
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Or if he doesn't, the driver might have it installed. 😁 If nothing else, if Facebook Messenger (some people pair it to get normal SMS on that app) is present, I am sure it could fetch data from your mobile and use it for coming up with this data.
    Interesting observation #-Link-Snipped-#
    I always thought it was displayed using an algorithm that matches mutual friends. Never paid attention.

In fact if you create an account and have not made a single friend on facebook, it still gives you the most accurate results. As soon as you add 1 connection, they can start making assumptions about who you know, and who they know, and who they know.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    #-Link-Snipped-# Have you seen similar case for your ID ever?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nope. As I said, I never pay much attention, but I checked after you wrote this post and found that all the names in my suggestion list had at least 5 mutual friends.

Strange. Waiting for more replies here.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    #-Link-Snipped-# What if I say, I use FB on my system. Since many days, am not using it in my "Small Screen", so I am not sure about the statement
    Ankita Katdare
    if Facebook Messenger (some people pair it to get normal SMS on that app) is present, I am sure it could fetch data from your mobile and use it for coming up with this data.
    ! πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Welcome to the Giants of Internet who want everyone to be connected and respect your privacy and dataβ˜•.

If you have Facebook messenger installed here is permission list on android.
    Identity
    • find accounts on the device
    • read your own contact card
    Contacts
    • read your contacts
    • precise location (GPS and network-based)
    SMS
    • edit your text messages (SMS or MMS)
    • receive text messages (SMS)
    • read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
    • send SMS messages
    • receive text messages (MMS)
    Phone
    • directly call phone numbers
    • read call log 😁
    Photos/Media/Files
    • test access to protected storage
    • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    Camera
    • take pictures and videos
    Microphone
    • record audio
    Wi-Fi connection information
    • view Wi-Fi connections
    Device ID & call information
    • read phone status and identity
    Other
    • receive data from Internet
    • download files without notification
    • run at startup
    • send sticky broadcast
    • prevent device from sleeping
    • view network connections
    • install shortcuts
    • read battery statistics
    • change your audio settings
    • read Google service configuration
    • draw over other apps
    • full network access
    • read sync settings
    • control vibration
    • change network connectivity

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

GATE 2015 is round the corner, and admit cards made available for download from GATE website starting 17th December. UPDATE by GATE: GATE 2015 committee has decided to allow the...
IK Multimedia is a music technology company that manufactures products for music creation, live performance and other music segments. In 2010, it launched the first compact guitar/bass interface known as...
The trend of selling products exclusively through an e-commerce website is gearing up. Indian smartphone manufacturer Micromax is no exception. The company has added another device in their Canvas line...
K Touch, a Brand owned by Jaina Group, has launched its latest low budget smartphone, K Touch A20, in the Indian Market. Priced at Rs. 2999, this new dual sim...
After unveiling the new range of ThinkPad laptops, the Chinese handset and laptop maker has announced two new Android tablets at the ongoing CES 2015. With Lenovo Tab 2 A7-10...