How Much is too Much? Are the new gadgets loaded unnecessarily?

I (and the chairman of the group) resisted getting a cell phone for very long. Even now, I have the most basic of phones which does only the normal phone function. I rarely use even the SMS facility.

I find that every senior executive has one or other of the smart phones loaded with a plethora of apps, many of which seem to be used only to show others that such apps exist.

This is also true of home appliances like a fridge that can send emails, Microwave ovens that let you watch sitcoms on the door and many such.

What is the take of CEans on this?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Most of the mobiles are right now choking with apps which are any significance to others wonder why they come out with those ideas
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    For me, Life w/o my Android is unimaginable. I rooted my Android just to remove crappy bloatwares and install 100's of apps in sd.

Apps are time-saver for me. I have an app called "ElectroDroid" which helps me understand the construction of i/p and o/p pins.
    The app called "Maths Formulae lite" to refer the important formulae while on wheels.
    Using "Evernote" , I keep track on incoming important task.

I agree that out of total apps ,most of 'em are for fun/entertainment.
    But hey! let's focus on brighter side.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    sometimes I feel too much of digital stuff, is slowing pushing humans over 'non-usage' of brain. We don't tend to use our brain to 'calculate' simple stuff nor we use our brain to 'remember' routes (i use lot of GPS). yes, we might be using the brain power in automatng all this - but I am not sure how much % of population actually does their own algo for a calculator or their own algo for GPS..

I did an experiment on myself. One day i was wondering about people who laid foudnation for modern science. After reading few biographies, i realised - they used their time as below
    1. do scientific work for days together
    2. have people to people interactions and msotly discuss their progress
    3. write lenghty letters about their current research
    4.go out with their family for boating /opera and stuff.
    So , the experiment on myself was - not to switch the TV by myself for 21 days and also not play angry birds
    This migth sound futile, but I did see how much time I was saving not getting into too much digital stuff. Also, my brain was more active and alive and I was thinking of better useful stuff to keep myself occupied.
  • optimystix@
    optimystix@
    We Can't Directly Say That The New Gadgets Are
    unnecessary only we have to limit their use in our day today life it's hardly impossible to live the gadgetless life
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# yeah really true but also some Apps are of literally no use to users

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can we increase the RPM of the motor ...... ?????? or the RPM is fixed ???? for induction motors
https://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=Z...SbGNsOTFjMlZ5WDJsa0lqb3hNRGd4T0RBek1qVTFOSDA9
can u say any body what is the advantage of knuckle joint over other joint?
Hello!! Below is the code of an applet where i have mapped the directional keys to increase and decrease the radius of an oval. The applet is running well but...
I'm studying automobiles and have a very basic question - What is the function of 'gear' in a vehicle?