How many types of tie knots are there? Answer: 177147!

Knotting a tie is tough business; unless you really master the art. I guess there are about 3 established ways of tying a tie knot - 'The Four In Hand Knot', 'The Windsor Knot' & 'The Half Windsor Knot'. Have you ever wondered how many different ways are there to knot a tie? Calculation the number of ways is no simple math and it took quite some time to figure that out. A team of mathematicians from the KTH Royal Institute Of Technology developed a mathematical model to figure out the exact number and found out that there are 177,147 ways of tying a tie!

types-of-tie-knots

This isn't the first attempt at figuring out the right answer. In 1999, researchers at the University Of Cambridge tried to come up with a model that showed there would be about 85 ways of knotting a tie. Check out their research on the source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

What do you think? How many knots do you know?

Replies

• Yogesh Borkar
    Yogesh Borkar
    Great...I would love to learn all types of knotting a tie...After all its a
    Knottee...business...hahaha

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mehcanical engineering is awesome and these new innovative door designs prove it. I really liked the new approach the designers have given to the way doors open and close. Here's...
I want to prepare for SAIL Management Trainee (Technical) Exam which is to be held on 23rd March , 2014 Plz suggest me some good study materials and tips for...
A highly sophisticated cyber-espionage has been uncovered after seven years by Kaspersky Labs. The operation named "The Mask" infected 380+ high-profile targets across 31 countries. Kaspersky researchers said that the...
Indian politics is witnessing a lot of interesting times since last ~3 years. The nation that many people believe will become a superpower in the next few years is now...
need a current amplifier circuit with current source as input of low ac current ...... anyone give The ckt plsss